IGNORED

What's new in your collection/Pick-up Thread !!!

Galdius

18 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I really enjoyed DKCR although I never finished it.  I actually played it back when it was first released.  I would definitely classify it as challenging, but it includes the option to have the game play for you if you die often enough (like the NSMB series).  DKCR includes some motion controls, but it's pretty minimal and doesn't ruin the experience.  I never got a chance to play Tropical Freeze, but I want to.

DKCR is also on 3DS. Prefer to play it on there with no motion controls. It has some finicky stuff with the controls but it's a great game, really challenging levels too. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'd be interested to hear how DKC holds up. Tropical Freeze, in my humble opinion, is one of the best platformers ever made (and also quite a challenge). Also, Halo Reach is my favorite Halo game of all-time. Nice pickups.

I'll be sure to post about it when I get around to playing it. Looks like a blast from the cover!

• Like 1

On 1/14/2022 at 4:00 PM, RpgCollector said:

Went a little crazy this/last week. Decided to go for the complete DS set (already have around 450 so why not. About 1,400 or so to go.)

@RpgCollectori joined the race for the DS Set it a large rabbit hole but 1850 so games and tons of exclusives.  i'm 560 in and the list is getting bigger not smaller.  Not sure what way i will go with stuff like Rudolph: The Red-Nosed Reindeer box sets, NFR and Exclusives..

7 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

@RpgCollectori joined the race for the DS Set it a large rabbit hole but 1850 so games and tons of exclusives.  i'm 560 in and the list is getting bigger not smaller.  Not sure what way i will go with stuff like Rudolph: The Red-Nosed Reindeer box sets, NFR and Exclusives..

If you are going to dive into variants and bundle collecting, ysk that we probably don't even have a definitive list of all the ones that exist. It seems like every month a new one is discovered. I would either do a standard full set or just focus on variants and bundles, doing both is insane. 

Edited by MiamiSlice
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

If you are going to dive into variants and bundle collecting, ysk that we probably don't even have a definitive list of all the ones that exist. It seems like every month a new one is discovered. I would either do a standard full set or just focus on variants and bundles, doing both is insane. 

@MiamiSlicelooking at the Standard full set very close but I keep getting caught up by all the exclusives that have there own code like the Bayblades

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

@MiamiSlicelooking at the Standard full set very close but I keep getting caught up by all the exclusives that have there own code like the Bayblades

Yeah that's what gets you. You have to avert your gaze! Some of these games have 3 or more variants. It's probably the library with the most variants, the retailers were at their peak with exclusives and bundles and so on. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Definitely jealous of that Jumping Flash.  How bad is your sun faded In the Hunt?  Are you going to sell it?

I believe Jumping Flash is my last biggest hurdle to refinishing the set.  Im such an idiot.  

The In the Hunts fading is pretty noticeable and someone scotch taped the side flaps down.  Never tried to remove it.  I’ll pm pics when I get a chance later.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

I dipped out of box variants for the 3DS years ago and that's not nearly the labrynith the DS variants are. God help anyone hunting down all of those!

Got this sweet bundle of Atari Lynx games from a Marketplace ad. It’s so rare to find these locally. I had a great price at just under 20$/game.

This is about 50% filler but the savings from not paying shipping on each game from eBay was worth most any price the guy would have asked for.

My favorite piece there is Hockey. It’s one of the more desirable games imo. Sort of looks like Blades of Steel (and has similar fights) but handles more like Ice Hockey with medium sized dudes. 

I’m now at 46/71 games for the full set!

E3C64466-044B-43C3-A36E-46ECA8609C96.jpeg

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg
  • Like 12

9 hours ago, avatar! said:

Cool! with only 71 games it sounds like it's doable for most people - that said, how rare are the games? Any command big bucks? Any personal favorites?

The games aren’t rare at all. They're just not in the wild. Lots of CIB and Sealed remain since they sold poorly and there’s plenty of old new stock going around. Just not in the wild. Companies like best-electronics bought a lot of Atari stuff when it was liquidated and by now, most of the stock is in such companies and other commercial minded entities’ hands. I can buy pretty much any game at any time. Almost.

The rarest game is probably the 1993 release of Double Dragon. Super late release by Telegames so stores didn’t see that many of them. Telegames is still selling them tho, and eventually I’ll buy one of their re-releases. I feel like it’s legit since it’s really the same company making and selling the game.

Other notable « heavies » are Asteroids/Missile Command, Pac-Land, Ninja Gaiden III and Battlezone 2000

I own Asteroids/Missile command.

My favorite titles are the two shmups Zarlor Mercenary and Gates of Zendocon. I have plenty of nostalgia suffer from stockholm syndrome for Batman Returns which I had as a kid. It’s a brutal game.

In the above lot my favorite grabs are Hockey and Ishido, and the more « valuable » titles there are Hockey, European Soccer and Ultimate Chess which are in the 30-40$ range according to listings on pricecharting.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

The games aren’t rare at all. They're just not in the wild. Lots of CIB and Sealed remain since they sold poorly and there’s plenty of old new stock going around. Just not in the wild. Companies like best-electronics bought a lot of Atari stuff when it was liquidated and by now, most of the stock is in such companies and other commercial minded entities’ hands. I can buy pretty much any game at any time. Almost.

The rarest game is probably the 1993 release of Double Dragon. Super late release by Telegames so stores didn’t see that many of them. Telegames is still selling them tho, and eventually I’ll buy one of their re-releases. I feel like it’s legit since it’s really the same company making and selling the game.

Other notable « heavies » are Asteroids/Missile Command, Pac-Land, Ninja Gaiden III and Battlezone 2000

I own Asteroids/Missile command.

My favorite titles are the two shmups Zarlor Mercenary and Gates of Zendocon. I have plenty of nostalgia suffer from stockholm syndrome for Batman Returns which I had as a kid. It’s a brutal game.

In the above lot my favorite grabs are Hockey and Ishido, and the more « valuable » titles there are Hockey, European Soccer and Ultimate Chess which are in the 30-40$ range according to listings on pricecharting.

Cool! These guys publish lots of Lynx and Jaguar games 🙂

https://songbird-productions.com/

Screenshot-from-2022-01-20-16-33-03.png

Edited by avatar!
  • Like 2

@WhyNotZoidberg@avatar! Reading between the two of you, it plays back to the evercade because I got the 2 Lynx packs for that.  There's way more than enough for at least a #3 maybe a #4 cart Songbird owns and they're the ones who did those 2 so far.  Some of those favorites mentioned like the 2 shooters, and the combo arcade pack they're on those carts that exist already along with a selection of those other newly picked up CIBs in that picture.  Lynx is a fine system, just the hardware as far as degradation sadly just isn't.  Despite the evercade I could see whenever that adapter pops for the Analogue Pocket going that route for the $30 for the adapter, then get the retrohq/stoneagegamer flash kit.  While I'm sure you're right most the lynx library is easy to get and even complete being around 70 titles I think it could add up a lot if $20/avg a game was a really good deal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avatar! said:

Cool! These guys publish lots of Lynx and Jaguar games 🙂

https://songbird-productions.com/

Screenshot-from-2022-01-20-16-33-03.png

Oh yeah I meant to talk about the thriving homebrew scene, too! 

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

@WhyNotZoidberg@avatar! Reading between the two of you, it plays back to the evercade because I got the 2 Lynx packs for that.  There's way more than enough for at least a #3 maybe a #4 cart Songbird owns and they're the ones who did those 2 so far.  Some of those favorites mentioned like the 2 shooters, and the combo arcade pack they're on those carts that exist already along with a selection of those other newly picked up CIBs in that picture.  Lynx is a fine system, just the hardware as far as degradation sadly just isn't.  Despite the evercade I could see whenever that adapter pops for the Analogue Pocket going that route for the $30 for the adapter, then get the retrohq/stoneagegamer flash kit.  While I'm sure you're right most the lynx library is easy to get and even complete being around 70 titles I think it could add up a lot if $20/avg a game was a really good deal.

Good points man. The Evercade probably did generate some interest in the Lynx. But I’ll tell you what, I actually think there isn’t anything in the Lynx’s library that can’t be experienced elsewhere in a better form somewhat. So if you already own better hardware, there’s very little reason to revisit Gauntlet or Rampage here. And so this is one case where the optimal Lynx experience is probably the 1-2 combo of nostalgia + original hardware.

31 minutes ago, WhyNotZoidberg said:

Good points man. The Evercade probably did generate some interest in the Lynx. But I’ll tell you what, I actually think there isn’t anything in the Lynx’s library that can’t be experienced elsewhere in a better form somewhat. So if you already own better hardware, there’s very little reason to revisit Gauntlet or Rampage here. And so this is one case where the optimal Lynx experience is probably the 1-2 combo of nostalgia + original hardware.

I will pick up some of the Evercade ports because I think it will be fun to play them, and I honestly have no intention of purchasing a Lynx, although it is a cool system 🙂

21 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I will pick up some of the Evercade ports because I think it will be fun to play them, and I honestly have no intention of purchasing a Lynx, although it is a cool system 🙂

Each game has its own storage for one quick auto save and 5 save slots.  So any of those old games that didn't save at all or had some horrid impossible to write down correctly code isn't an issue anymore.  In the case of the Lynx, hot saves would be key especially if you were really working at it with some games over others.

• Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted
58 minutes ago, NostalgicMachine said:

Technically my newest addition is Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team for NES. I got a pristine cart-only copy on eBay, and it'll be here by Monday! I'll post pics ASAP.

Glad to see you back into grey plastic square collecting.  😏 

BT & DD has been an elusive one for me.  

17 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Glad to see you back into grey plastic square collecting.  😏 

BT & DD has been an elusive one for me.  

I got it for $120. Said game holds its value, that's for sure. I also just picked up a bunch of plastic cart covers for my games since they are indeed investments after a certain price.

• Wow! 1

I distinctly remember snagging a ton of NES stuff from 2012-2015ish for what would be considered relatively cheap now. Inflation has definitely done a number on prices, but it evens out. For example: I remember getting a pristine cart copy of Battletoads for $20 in 2014. Now, good luck finding anything decent under $35 shipped lol. I DO remember BT & DD being in the $80 range as well!

I've always used https://www.pricecharting.com/console/nes .

So... I went from being excited to finding out the seller, who says they do not use stock images on the sales page, used stock images for the item I purchased from them. After I found out they used the same image for the same demo, which they were selling for $20 more.

Atop of that I also managed to realize that the one they show has a seal similar to others I have found online. But the one I received does not have the "flap" it should have on the back. As in it is too clean, and looks to be a case where it was resealed but otherwise not used/tampered with.

Thus I have requested a return citing that the item does not match what I thought I was buying. And will hope the seller accepts my request since it was not a cheap sale. 🙄

Edited by FenrirZero
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 1