IGNORED

T-Pac's Ink-Tober 2023

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted
22 hours ago, RH said:

I think part of what Zelda Freak is thinking about, though, is back in the 80s, a LOT of games went heavy on the art in the manuals.  They renditions of many of these sprites, or at least the ones we might have a bit of affection for, often had what we might consider to be "obscure" renditions today, but for those of us that read manuals cover-to-cover, and relied on them for a bit of imaginative inspiration as we were playing, might have small painted images already seared in our brains.

Again, to a younger generation who might be familiar with older games, or at least the sequels in their franchise, these older images may be 100% unknown.  But there's also something about reading a manual for a game cover-to-cover, multiple times, when you love it.  For us, that was part of the experience and we can know of a lot of examples that aren't common knowledge.

I have no issue here. I'm just trying to give a bit of context.

Get outta here with your logic and reasoning - I want sprites, not excuses haha!

[T-Pac]

7 hours ago, BlackVega said:

nice booba

Who's booba? Did I accidently rip-off an existing design?

[T-Pac]

Graphics Team · Posted

17 - Green Hockey Player from Ice Hockey [Nintendo Entertainment System - 1988]

@Kguillemette - good call on this one! I'm definitely not a sports guy, but those sprites all looked fun. I gravitated to the green one since I thought I could play-up his squat shape.

[T-Pac]

image.png.21e2643ac3c1c7a58a5ddf558c9d353b.png

• Like 11
  • Love 4

Events Helper · Posted
17 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

@Kguillemette - good call on this one! I'm definitely not a sports guy, but those sprites all looked fun. I gravitated to the green one since I thought I could play-up his squat shape.

[T-Pac]

If you still have room and are looking for more sprites, do one from tecmo super bowl 🤣.  I would find a sprite, but on phone and at work!

also, great job on this one as usual!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

[T-Pac]

That's great! He looks kinda like Ziggy! 😂

ziggy-1.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T-Pac said:

18 - Cosmic Turtle from Space Fortress [Bally Astrocade - 1981]

@ThePhleo - it may not be as crazy as previous years, but I still worked hard on this one.

[T-Pac]

image.png.f53c5ea3dc10a15e9ed04ae6390cc72f.png

Oh wow! This still took a ton of imagination!

Maybe I won’t go as hard on you next year and I was planning 😉

In other news, I need this to be a space Pokémon or something…

• Love 1

Events Team · Posted
On 10/17/2023 at 10:09 AM, T-Pac said:

[T-Pac]

Nice, and he's wearing magnificently the classic Canadian 'Green and Blue' hockey shirt our country is so proud of!

• Haha 1

On 10/17/2023 at 10:09 AM, T-Pac said:

[T-Pac]

Incredible stuff as always!

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Events Team · Posted
On 10/16/2023 at 8:36 AM, T-Pac said:

You really think so? Basically any standard enemy sprite from a B-tier NES or Game Boy game fits the criteria.

But I guess if you only stick to popular games or newer consoles, that might not be so easy to think of.

No worries, though.

[T-Pac]

I mean, might be kinda sacrilegious to say on this site, but yeah, B-tier NES or Game Boy games are a pretty specific subset of games, and a subset of games I'm honestly not all that familiar with in regards to sprites and whatnot. Most of the games I enjoy are 16-bit and up (My profile pic guy has an SNES controller on his belt for a reason, haha) and games older than that era that I like are generally more popular ones, in which later entries in those franchises have the same enemies portrayed as art and/or in much more detailed sprites, or are otherwise just already popular enough to have those sprites be portrayed in a more detailed manner in one form or another. Plus RH is also correct, even for some of the more obscure games, a lot of the time the sprites within the games were portrayed as significantly more detailed art in the manuals, boxes, on the cartridge itself, etc, which defeats the purpose of what you're going for.

So yes, I would indeed say that is a very specific set of criteria, haha. The reason I hadn't submitted any suggestions was because I understood what you were going for, and knew I wouldn't be able to come up with anything good just off the top of my head like with past Ink-tobers.

With that said, I did do a good bit of digging, and I think I did find a few half-decent suggestions, finally. As far as I could tell, these all either have no art of them I could find whatsoever, or if it does exist, there's at least very little of it, and most of them also don't appear to have more detailed sprites in later entries or anything, so this is probably about as good as I can do. Apologies if any of these have been suggested before, you've done quite a few of these now to the point where I'm not able to keep track of past suggestions any more, haha.

---

Towers Guardian from Castlevania: Legends

7831b10c15cd71f14992666bba85e541.png

Fuzz Buster from Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse

bf07c7b2de81f8dc3443191e521f2f8f.png

Creeper and Under Mole, both from Castlevania: The Adventure

e13e2ca7690296d8583b8b8fdd11a1d5.png

b4cf0e4fbce464f7c944b7592501a5d6.png

and Phantom Warrior, Witchi Wench, and Cannon, all from Kid Dracula

4975bfe324ee36bc3f54591cb84a3ffe.png

0e8e0b3e66b64e081d5e43ec901afae3.png

976839c358d822a549a47fcc81062b77.png

Thankfully the Castlevania series has some pretty obscure enemies once you do a bit of digging, otherwise I would've truly had zero ideas for suggestions, haha. Hopefully that'll all suffice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I mean, might be kinda sacrilegious to say on this site, but yeah, B-tier NES or Game Boy games are a pretty specific subset of games, and a subset of games I'm honestly not all that familiar with in regards to sprites and whatnot. Most of the games I enjoy are 16-bit and up (My profile pic guy has an SNES controller on his belt for a reason, haha) and games older than that era that I like are generally more popular ones, in which later entries in those franchises have the same enemies portrayed as art and/or in much more detailed sprites, or are otherwise just already popular enough to have those sprites be portrayed in a more detailed manner in one form or another. Plus RH is also correct, even for some of the more obscure games, a lot of the time the sprites within the games were portrayed as significantly more detailed art in the manuals, boxes, on the cartridge itself, etc, which defeats the purpose of what you're going for.

So yes, I would indeed say that is a very specific set of criteria, haha. The reason I hadn't submitted any suggestions was because I understood what you were going for, and knew I wouldn't be able to come up with anything good just off the top of my head like with past Ink-tobers.

With that said, I did do a good bit of digging, and I think I did find a few half-decent suggestions, finally. As far as I could tell, these all either have no art of them I could find whatsoever, or if it does exist, there's at least very little of it, and most of them also don't appear to have more detailed sprites in later entries or anything, so this is probably about as good as I can do. Apologies if any of these have been suggested before, you've done quite a few of these now to the point where I'm not able to keep track of past suggestions any more, haha.

---

Towers Guardian from Castlevania: Legends

7831b10c15cd71f14992666bba85e541.png

Fuzz Buster from Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse

bf07c7b2de81f8dc3443191e521f2f8f.png

Creeper and Under Mole, both from Castlevania: The Adventure

e13e2ca7690296d8583b8b8fdd11a1d5.png

b4cf0e4fbce464f7c944b7592501a5d6.png

and Phantom Warrior, Witchi Wench, and Cannon, all from Kid Dracula

4975bfe324ee36bc3f54591cb84a3ffe.png

0e8e0b3e66b64e081d5e43ec901afae3.png

976839c358d822a549a47fcc81062b77.png

Thankfully the Castlevania series has some pretty obscure enemies once you do a bit of digging, otherwise I would've truly had zero ideas for suggestions, haha. Hopefully that'll all suffice.

Your username should be CastlevaniaFreak

• Haha 1

Graphics Team · Posted
19 hours ago, guillavoie said:

Nice, and he's wearing magnificently the classic Canadian 'Green and Blue' hockey shirt our country is so proud of!

1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

You must mean "Bleu et vert"

All I know from my time living in Canada is Blue Jays jerseys from when fans would flood the train-lines in Toronto and make commuting to work a nightmare haha.

[T-Pac]

2 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

19 - Poison Slug from Commander Keen [PC - 1990]

@Splain - I'm really starting to think these old PC games have all the good Ink-tober sprites haha. Great choice!

[T-Pac]

image.png.99441bf6997758627a7c39e658ec2642.png

That's a really good one.  I didn't play Commander Keen enough, but that was a shareware classic that everyone had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, T-Pac said:

All I know from my time living in Canada is Blue Jays jerseys from when fans would flood the train-lines in Toronto and make commuting to work a nightmare haha.

[T-Pac]

You can probably tell from my last name that my heritage is Quebec! Sherbrooke folks are a proud bunch! 😁

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, T-Pac said:

20 - Jumpman from Jumpman [PC - 1983]

@PII - I felt this one deserved a wackier-than-usual interpretation. Love the suggestion!

[T-Pac]

image.png.eac18730bac175e1bfa17c5d5befcce0.png

Was thinking homestar runner for this one when I seen the sprite.

The alternating foot/hand being blobs then detailed is fun…. Though it leaves room to wonder about the…. Fifth appendage

• Like 1