IGNORED

T-Pac's Ink-Tober 2023

T-Pac

On 10/4/2023 at 9:09 AM, T-Pac said:

Sorry, dude - but I'm making everybody play by the rules this year.
Sprites only, 32x32 pixels or less.

You're an Astrocade guy, right? Maybe you can find me something good from there.

[T-Pac]

I trust @DefaultGen who played the entire Astrocade library, there really isnt anything good from there.

My heart just isn't in it if I can't make it complex....

But I'll suggest something that can flex your creative abilities!

I want to see if you can do something with this psychedelic, regal looking square spaceship thingy.

SpaceFortress.png.0cca4f374bf96ba18cbebfa804d0188e.png

Editorials Team · Posted

I don't know if these guys have been recommended in past years, but I like some of these enemies from Commander Keen:

1. Yorp

1.gif

2. Poison Slug - sometimes leaves puddles of poison behind

6.gif

3. Lick - Just looks like an angry ball bouncing around, breathes fire when it's near you

11.gif

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

I trust @DefaultGen who played the entire Astrocade library, there really isnt anything good from there.

I want to see if you can do something with this psychedelic, regal looking square spaceship thingy.

I played every Channel F game not Astrocade, how could you confuse two game industry titans 😞 The okayest one is Video Whizball! Everything else is a bad rip off of something else. It is astounding how much the Channel F lacks both creativity and fun.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Splain said:

I don't know if these guys have been recommended in past years, but I like some of these enemies from Commander Keen:

1. Yorp

1.gif

2. Poison Slug - sometimes leaves puddles of poison behind

6.gif

3. Lick - Just looks like an angry ball bouncing around, breathes fire when it's near you

11.gif

Oh, second vote for poison slug. I love those guys.

• Like 1

JUMPMAN       STANLEY: The Search For Dr. Livingston

Jumpman, Stanley Foitin, Stanley Running / Old Man In front Of Hut, Stanley Running / Woman With Parasol, Stanley Floating With Gyrocopter That Springs Out Of His Napsack.

(just for the record I did read the requirements and am not sure if Stanley et el qualify or not, just didn't want to leave them out...)

INKTOBER SUGGESTIONS 23.png

Edited by PII
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BlackVega said:

I think you completely missed the point here. This one was supposed to be a CAT, not a DUCK

By the way I noticed 90% of uploads are from Commander Keen tho

No, I think this IS the point.  Sure, Mappy is about a mouse being chased by cat-foes, but low pixel sprites often leave a LOT to the imagination and sometimes they don’t look like what they are intended to be.

The fact that @T-Pac made it look like a duck and even made parts of it’s tail float because the pixel density was so low is both amusing and brilliant.  I think this one is my favorite so far for 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

Graphics Team · Posted
23 hours ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

Apologies, skip mine if you want. I didn't follow the rules, I'll see if I can find something neat.

It's all good. And sorry for calling you out - you just presented a good opportunity to remind everyone of the intent for the thread. Rabblerouser over here tellin' me to draw Yoshi 2 years in a row haha.

[T-Pac]

22 hours ago, spacepup said:

I was worried my Benny Bookworm was too stylized already and not in the spirit of what you wanted.  The only saving grace I suppose is it's a very random character - although googling now, I can see there are other interpretations, maybe from other source material that the game actually pulled from.  Sorry about that!

Stuff like that can work just fine when I've never seen the source material (same with Mina the Hollower) - but since you all can't possibly know what is and isn't on my radar, I just encourage everyone to look for stuff that hasn't ever been interpreted in drawings or rendered in detail before.

I hope I'm not sucking the fun out of this for everyone - just trying to keep things on track. Maybe I'll pick a random month next year for a "T-Pac draws whatever you want" thread.

[T-Pac]

Graphics Team · Posted
20 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Mr Lee from Mr Lee's Alishan Tea Collector 

IMG20231006004019.jpg

IMG20231006004129.jpg

Do you have a different sprite? I like the suggestion, but Including that big rendered version of Mr. Lee sort-of defeats the purpose like I was explaining in my post from yesterday.

[T-Pac]

Graphics Team · Posted
11 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

What - you think I can't make something completely ridiculous from this "psychedelic, regal looking square spaceship thingy"???

Ye of little faith...

(What game is this, by the way?)

[T-Pac]

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
4 hours ago, BlackVega said:

I think you completely missed the point here. This one was supposed to be a CAT, not a DUCK

By the way I noticed 90% of uploads are from Commander Keen tho

I'm not sure if you're joking here, but just in case you aren't:

Yes, I'm well aware the Mappy enemies are cats. But as @RH said - the idea is to subvert expectations and treat pixel-art like an interpretive Rorschach inkblot test.

[T-Pac]

Graphics Team · Posted

06 - Mysterious Man from Final Fantasy Adventure [Nintendo Game Boy - 1991]

@RH - I absolutely love this one. My instinct was to make something like Studio Ghibli's Howl and Moomin's Snufkin.

image.png.c4806611e245a3b625b6e4f9908d3d34.png

And as a bonus - here's my first attempt. I didn't like the way it turned out, but I figured I'd share it anyway:

Spoiler

image.png.d3c7342b8447525509983a75ed6f9f05.png

[T-Pac]

• Like 14
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 4

20 minutes ago, T-Pac said:

What - you think I can't make something completely ridiculous from this "psychedelic, regal looking square spaceship thingy"???

Ye of little faith...

(What game is this, by the way?)

[T-Pac]

It's Space Fortress for the Astrocade.

Believe it or not, that "crown" is actually a laser turret.

P.S. The death screen for this game is somehow really violent...skip to 4:42ish

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I played every Channel F game not Astrocade, how could you confuse two game industry titans 😞 The okayest one is Video Whizball! Everything else is a bad rip off of something else. It is astounding how much the Channel F lacks both creativity and fun.

Well excuuuuse me. And of course you of all people would say the video pinball game is the okayest one.

Maybe you should try a REAL gamers game console, like the RCA Studio II, Emerson Arcadia 2001, Interton VC4000...or if you're some sort of weeb you can try the Epoch Cassette Vision, or the Gakken Compact Vision TV Boy.

• Wow! 1

5 hours ago, T-Pac said:

I'm not sure if you're joking here, but just in case you aren't:

Yes, I'm well aware the Mappy enemies are cats. But as @RH said - the idea is to subvert expectations and treat pixel-art like an interpretive Rorschach inkblot test.

[T-Pac]

Aha alright then. Well, so my suggestion will be very easy- there you go, take another cat from Mappy and now THIS is an obvious CAT to draw (kinda looks like Wilford Brimley btw- RIP legend)

Screenshot2023-10-06210648.png.5c112fe85939f6504529674f95a0ed1c.png

6 minutes ago, BlackVega said:

Aha alright then. Well, so my suggestion will be very easy- there you go, take another cat from Mappy and now THIS is an obvious CAT to draw (kinda looks like Wilford Brimley btw- RIP legend)

Pretty sure that's a groundhog in a smoking jacket 😉 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1