IGNORED

T-Pac's Ink-Tober 2023

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted

It's that time again - a doodle for every day of October!

As usual, I'm doing 31 cartoon representations of classic 8-bit sprites - drawn in ink, then colored digitally.

In past years a lot of people had trouble understanding my sprite-reference criteria, so I'm making just one super-simple rule this time:

I will ONLY accept sprites 32 x 32 pixels or less!

image.png.2a6edfff2f2b2488e99925ac86ff5400.png

Please post some suggestions for me to pick from - and as always, feel free to join-in the creative spirit and share your own Ink-Tober artwork!

[T-Pac]

• Like 5
  • Love 6

Administrator · Posted

If you could do the Benny Bookworm character from an old PC Edutainment game 'Word Rescue' I would be very happy 🙂

The game was released by Apogee in 1992, and I played it right around that time when I was younger.

sprite:
bookworm.png

screenshots:

level-1-wr.jpg

Word Rescue on Steam

He flies around and helps you, sometimes sliming the enemies.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted

Btw, I meant to mention in my post @T-Pac, Thank you so much for doing this.  It is always a super fun event that the community really seems to like, and you've been incredibly gracious and generous with your time and talent, doing this for everyone.  It's always a blast and I can't wait to see what you come up with this year.  Thanks for everything you do!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Btw, I meant to mention in my post @T-Pac, Thank you so much for doing this.  It is always a super fun event that the community really seems to like, and you've been incredibly gracious and generous with your time and talent, doing this for everyone.  It's always a blast and I can't wait to see what you come up with this year.  Thanks for everything you do!

And I must echo this as well!  This is always a super-fun event, but I also don't want to take your generosity for granted.  The results are always amazing and really fun!

• Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 6:30 PM, nesmaster14 said:

Ink-Tober! I might attempt to paint/draw one sometime.  Anyway, a few ideas as well...

•  Gremlin from Uninvited (NES) -

image.png.8c1a011e9c6c4dca529b448c97caf388.png  gremlin_unvinvited_nes_002.png.a2348d09bcaa3aefe41728c2af4b17ca.png

That's a great choice! The sphinx from Shadowgate would be a cool one too.

E_-cpKHXoAI5jMr.jpg

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 3

Administrator · Posted
7 hours ago, RH said:

The "Mysterious Man" from Final Fantasy Adventure.  For context, he helps you in a dungeon, but turns out to be one of the main bad guys.

Final Fantasy Adventure / Seiken Densetsu - Mysterious Man

Sorry for the tiny sprite sheet but, uh... I think it's fits within your requirements!  😄

Yo spoilers dude, holy jeez! 

• Haha 2

And that’s not even a sprite, lol.

There’s too much character in it already, T-Pac wants small characters so he can put his own spin on it. Sure that’s possible with something like the Shadowgate Sphinx, but there is already an evident style to the image. Whereas a small guy has more room for interpretation. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Link said:

And that’s not even a sprite, lol.

There’s too much character in it already, T-Pac wants small characters so he can put his own spin on it. Sure that’s possible with something like the Shadowgate Sphinx, but there is already an evident style to the image. Whereas a small guy has more room for interpretation. 

I had a feeling the sphinx was too big, but I figured I'd throw it out there in case there aren't enough suggestions. I wouldn't mind seeing his take on the biker from Excitebike.

tst,small,845x845-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.u

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Graphics Team · Posted
21 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's a great choice! The sphinx from Shadowgate would be a cool one too.

E_-cpKHXoAI5jMr.jpg

On 9/28/2023 at 7:09 AM, T-Pac said:

I will ONLY accept sprites 32 x 32 pixels or less!

image.png.2a6edfff2f2b2488e99925ac86ff5400.png

[T-Pac]

Ignoring the only rule of the thread AND picking something I ALREADY DREW in 2021???

That's it - 800 years banishment for @Bearcat-Doug!

[T-Pac]

image.png.893f2de64e9ad439137923589dd16af4.png

• Haha 8

Graphics Team · Posted
On 9/29/2023 at 8:44 AM, spacepup said:

On 9/29/2023 at 9:01 AM, RH said:

And I must echo this as well!  This is always a super-fun event, but I also don't want to take your generosity for granted.  The results are always amazing and really fun!

Thanks, guys!
It's always fun for me, too! (And makes for some good character-design and hand-inking practice.)

[T-Pac]

15 hours ago, T-Pac said:

Ignoring the only rule of the thread AND picking something I ALREADY DREW in 2021???

That's it - 800 years banishment for @Bearcat-Doug!

[T-Pac]

image.png.893f2de64e9ad439137923589dd16af4.png

Did you draw the sphinx? I thought that was the year I suggested the Behemoth/Warlock Lord. The sphinx will only eat me if I get its riddle incorrect and I know all of the answers, so there! 😛

• Haha 1

Graphics Team · Posted

01 - Ryu from Ninja Gaiden [Nintendo Entertainment System - 1989]

@Sumez - I'm actually kinda glad you threw the Ryu sprite back at me. But you always pull out some great obscure stuff on your own, too, so you better make more suggestions!

I went for a slick 'Samurai Jack' feel here, which was probably a bit ambitious since I'm still out-of-practice doing long, clean lines with my drawing-pen. But I didn't mess up too bad after all haha.

[T-Pac]

image.png.4a475cba67affcb5ae23a1026388f04d.png

• Like 13
  • Love 2