IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

54 minutes ago, Avgn Gamer said:

Just thought I'd let you guys know that there's hope

Screenshot_20230115_090503_Chrome.jpg

I find it hard to believe that there are 4 Purple Capcom MM6 CIBs that have been graded when (as far as I know) there are ZERO known CIB copies.

Several loose carts, something like 3-5 manuals and one sealed copy is all that has surfaced.

Anyone ever seen a CIB? If these exist surely someone has shared a pic somewhere.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, DK said:

I find it hard to believe that there are 4 Purple Capcom MM6 CIBs that have been graded when (as far as I know) there are ZERO known CIB copies.

Several loose carts, something like 3-5 manuals and one sealed copy is all that has surfaced.

Anyone ever seen a CIB? If these exist surely someone has shared a pic somewhere.

Yeah that's not correct haha...I know of one sealed copy and he wants to remain anonymous...as far as box's and manuals go...I've never seen another box other then the sealed one...I've only seen two manuals...but the boxes and manuals being very rare makes sense to me from the info I've gotten of what took place back then...the same goes for the one known sealed copy...it makes sense why they simply are not out there...now the carts themselves...they're out there to be had...I'm not saying millions of copies haha...but enough that they do come along every now and again 😁

24 minutes ago, Hollywoodcaddy said:

Yeah that's not correct haha...I know of one sealed copy and he wants to remain anonymous...as far as box's and manuals go...I've never seen another box other then the sealed one...I've only seen two manuals...but the boxes and manuals being very rare makes sense to me from the info I've gotten of what took place back then...the same goes for the one known sealed copy...it makes sense why they simply are not out there...now the carts themselves...they're out there to be had...I'm not saying millions of copies haha...but enough that they do come along every now and again 😁

That sealed copy yo, F***e literally got the biggest win ever

1 hour ago, Avgn Gamer said:

Also go check the pop reports @Hollywoodcaddy seems to be correct since they separate the nintendo version and capcom version 

I wouldn't take their pop reports too seriously, under loose Capcom MM6 they have 0 listed....yet they have graded some loose carts for sure. This pic is from Facebook in March - Pop report is from Dec 2022...

image.png.d7e4eb868bfdfbcf8eefbf22f54b89d6.png

18 minutes ago, DK said:

I wouldn't take their pop reports too seriously, under loose Capcom MM6 they have 0 listed....yet they have graded some loose carts for sure. This pic is from Facebook in March - Pop report is from Dec 2022...

image.png.d7e4eb868bfdfbcf8eefbf22f54b89d6.png

Fair, I did message wata about the boxed mm6s so we'll see if these claudes respond.

On 1/15/2023 at 1:11 PM, DK said:

I’m not saying there is four copies but I wouldn’t doubt for a second that one or two of the old timers from NA or perhaps just a collector that’s been at it forever may have one. They just don’t feel the need to let the secret out.

On 1/15/2023 at 1:11 PM, DK said:

On 1/15/2023 at 1:33 PM, Hollywoodcaddy said:

On 1/15/2023 at 1:58 PM, Avgn Gamer said:

That sealed copy yo, F***e literally got the biggest win ever

I spent a lot of time looking for evidence of other CIB copies when I was creating my variant list and also found zero evidence for their existence. I'm not saying the pop report is wrong, but I believe only a few boxed copies were created as proof of design and we're never actually produced in mass and sold. I'm guessing they released a cart/manual only version in South America, maybe sold directly to used games stores rather than regular retailers. I think the boxed copies that do exist were probably in the hands of designers and/or executives and have only changed hands in private sales.

8 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Here is another:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334698424624

All NES games released/sold in Brazil via official channels will have the Playtronic back sticker on them.

I have had several of these over the years. I have only had two that didn't have the back sticker - both were acquired in USA and were either back swaps or copies that never made it to South America.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DK said:

Here is another:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/334698424624

All NES games released/sold in Brazil via official channels will have the Playtronic back sticker on them.

I have had several of these over the years. I have only had two that didn't have the back sticker - both were acquired in USA and were either back swaps or copies that never made it to South America.

Interesting. Thank you! Do you believe the one I posted is worth the $2,300? The one you posted is at 999 with no opening bids and comes with the manual. Would a US variant be worth more given a very small amount exist?

8 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Interesting. Thank you! Do you believe the one I posted is worth the $2,300? The one you posted is at 999 with no opening bids and comes with the manual. Would a US variant be worth more given a very small amount exist?

There have been a few sales in the last 6 months in the 1000-2000 range. That IS a nice copy, but I don't think it's worth that much yet (In the future? Who knows)

The copies with US backs aren't worth any more than the Playtronic backed ones, simply because there is no way to prove they aren't back swapped. If you had a USA-back with the USA manual, then now you're talking a serious value increase.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I spent a lot of time looking for evidence of other CIB copies when I was creating my variant list and also found zero evidence for their existence. I'm not saying the pop report is wrong, but I believe only a few boxed copies were created as proof of design and we're never actually produced in mass and sold. I'm guessing they released a cart/manual only version in South America, maybe sold directly to used games stores rather than regular retailers. I think the boxed copies that do exist were probably in the hands of designers and/or executives and have only changed hands in private sales.

Makes the most sense, I blame Mike Matei

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

@DK you REALLY need to track down who you sold that Stinger to one day.

I still haven’t seen another CIB surface in all these years, and only three or four loose carts have popped up in all this time too…I missed them all too 😕

I know exactly who I sold it to. They are a member here and I contact them from time to time to make sure it's safe and sound. It's been in storage since I sold it to them and I'm first on the list if they ever decide to sell. 🙂

@Ferris Bueller has a CIB if you're looking for some flap pics (Which I'd like to see too)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DK said:

I know exactly who I sold it to. They are a member here and I contact them from time to time to make sure it's safe and sound. It's been in storage since I sold it to them and I'm first on the list if they ever decide to sell. 🙂

@Ferris Bueller has a CIB if you're looking for some flap pics (Which I'd like to see too)

NICE! At least it’s in the community 🙂

Put me second in line for it 😉

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 9:11 AM, DoctorEncore said:

My theory is that they were all shipped to Playtronic sealed and then Playtronic repackaged them. This would mean they opened them up, discarded the US box/manual, restickered the front and back of the cart with Playtronic labels and repackaged it in a Playtronic version box.

I know for fact that Nortec in Cyprus/Greece opened games, inserted Greek language manuals, and resealed the games. It wouldn’t be out of the question for Playtronic to repackage games for their region, especially since this could potentially qualify as a “manufacturing” if they are disassembling and reassembling the carts which would reduce high Brazilian import taxes.

Check out this MM6 from Brazil has gold rear sticker with a paper Playtronic sticker on top of it. MM6 was not a gold sticker game (gold sticker was reserved for battery backup games with save functionality) so it’s likely that cart backs were disassembled, restickered and the restickered backs were thrown into a parts bin and randomly pulled for pretty much any game distributed by Playtronic.

774628C4-8221-4E72-B0F1-E9FACF163076.thumb.jpeg.2c85b379916e21e277009a6e09e9e13d.jpeg

Edited by phart010
  • Like 3

On 1/17/2023 at 10:32 AM, a3quit4s said:

The collectors market still hasn’t settled on what these are worth. That’s why the prices are all over the place.

Most games with the US front label will probably not be much more since the only difference is the Playtronic stickers on the back. The ones with Playtronic front label will be worth more than US counterparts since they are more rare, then there’s obviously Megaman 6 purple label which is becoming more and more sought after.

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, phart010 said:

My theory is that they were all shipped to Playtronic sealed and then Playtronic repackaged them. This would mean they opened them up, discarded the US box/manual, restickered the front and back of the cart with Playtronic labels and repackaged it in a Playtronic version box.

Check out this MM6 from Brazil has gold rear sticker with a paper Playtronic sticker on top of it. MM6 was not a gold sticker game (gold sticker was reserved for battery backup games with save functionality) so it’s likely that cart backs were disassembled, restickered and the restickered backs were thrown into a parts bin and randomly pulled for pretty much any game distributed by Playtronic.

That's an interesting take. I also have a copy of the purple Capcom variant with a gold sticker under the Playtronic back label and I always wondered why.

If your theory is correct then at some point in time a Playtronic factory worker was sitting next to a garbage bin filled to the brim with discarded Purple boxes and manuals. At the end of his shift he wheeled it out to the dumpster and threw them all away....sigh.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, DK said:

That's an interesting take. I also have a copy of the purple Capcom variant with a gold sticker under the Playtronic back label and I always wondered why.

If your theory is correct then at some point in time a Playtronic factory worker was sitting next to a garbage bin filled to the brim with discarded Purple boxes and manuals. At the end of his shift he wheeled it out to the dumpster and threw them all away....sigh.

I can visualize this and it makes me feel slightly  sad 😢