IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

On 3/9/2024 at 3:59 PM, _Brink_ said:

Love and agree with most of this list.  One adjustment in my opinion:  Star Force is more rare than Gotcha/Jaws - definitely a 9.  You're lists are so helpful and amazing - you do so much for the community - thanks for all that you do!!

The Super Pitfall glut was my fault, unloaded 10+ on ebay in 2023.  I couldnt stop buying them over the years when they were cheap.  Finally had to punch myself in the stomach and say ENOUGH!

Thanks, I'll revisit the screw variants and likely end up updating it to a R9.

Also, something no one pointed out is why I bothered adding Anticipation, Donkey Kong Classics, Ice Hockey, Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Team Games, and Zelda II to the "Does Not Exist?" category.

Those are in there because other 1988 first party titles have been found to have documented 5-Screw variants (R.C. Pro-Am, SMB/DH/WCTM, and the rumored SMB/DH)

56 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Thanks, I'll revisit the screw variants and likely end up updating it to a R9.

Also, something no one pointed out is why I bothered adding Anticipation, Donkey Kong Classics, Ice Hockey, Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Team Games, and Zelda II to the "Does Not Exist?" category.

Those are in there because other 1988 first party titles have been found to have documented 5-Screw variants (R.C. Pro-Am, SMB/DH/WCTM, and the rumored SMB/DH)

You give me hope that out of my complete NES set (minus SE) I’m going to find some rare variant in there that actually has some significance in the history of games. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 12:56 PM, guitarzombie said:

I would add unique/one-of-a-kind.  All 3 Screw DKJr Maths are all refurbs as confirmed by their date codes.  But I wouldnt mind some sort of scale.  Its just tough because of the weird one offs.

I found a DK Jr. Math 3 screw a few weeks ago 

8 hours ago, NESCollector15 said:

Also these 3 screws don’t have the 2 digit numbers on the back of them

Until its discovered what those 2 digits actually mean, I wouldn't put too much credence into it.  I suppose it could be some factory indicator, but thats just speculation.

3 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Until its discovered what those 2 digits actually mean, I wouldn't put too much credence into it.  I suppose it could be some factory indicator, but thats just speculation.

Well other people I know who have a DK Jr Math 3 screw they all say theirs don’t have the 2 digit stamped on the back either so there’s definitely a pattern to it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I think most people agree it’s a QA stamp which would identify where exactly it was manufactured in case of defects or like you said a factory indicator. Im not sure if this is still up for debate or not though.