IGNORED

Somewhat Complete list of Game Boy(DMG) Tetris Variants

JVOSS

New UPDATE:

I have been able to confirm a total of 45 Tetris Variants, however I have identified 45 variants AND a theory of 3 additional variants.

Sometime ago I saw on NA a list of all Game Boy Tetris Variants. I have not been able to find it here so I'm remaking here.  have no clue, who the OG Author was. If any one remembers let me know so I can give the credit to them.

UPDATE 6-20-23
For clearification.  the list has "-A", "-B" indicators this is for my personal tracking.  they indicate the 2 or 3 printing of the label that did not trigger a Catalog code update (ie... "-1", "-2")

******* The Rabbit hole Chase is the pcb chase.  This is/will be a extinsive look at the pcb's and there coding and position on pcb print. 

as of 6-20-23  the following have be placed on the unconfirmed list...

Unconfirmed List of Tetris Label Variants. =2
DMG-TR-EUR-A       Tetris (3 Line Logo) Europe
DMG-TR-UKV-1       Tetris (2 Line Logo) United Kingdom

Known List of Tetris Label Veriants. =45

1. DMG-104-CHN              Tetris (2 Line Logo)   China
  2. DMG-104-CHN-FCO      Tetris (2 Line Logo)  China (FOC)
  3. DMG-601-CHN              4-In-1   China
  4. DMG-601-CHN-A          4-In-1 (Code Wrong Side)   China
  5. DMG-601-CHN-FCO      4-In-1 (FCO)   China
  6. DMG-TRA                       Tetris (ROM Ver.1.0 “Minuet”)   Japan
  7. DMG-TRA-A                    Tetris (ROM "A")   Japan
  8. DMG-TRA-1                     Tetris   Japan
  9. DMG-TR-ASI                    Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Asia
  10. DMG-TR-AUS                  Tetris (3 Line Logo)   Australia  <-------- New added 6-20-23
  11. DMG-TR-AUS-A               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Australia  <-------- Change to "A" due to additon of (3 Line Logo) 6-20-23
  12. DMG-TR-AUS-1              Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Australia
  13. DMG-TR-BZL-GR            Tetris (Playtronic)    Brazil - Gray
  14. DMG-TR-BZL-YA             Tetris (Playtronic)    Brazil - Yellow
  15. DMG-TR-CAN                 Tetris (3 Line Logo)   Canada
  16. DMG-TR-CAN-A             Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Canada
  17. DMG-TR-CAN-1               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Canada
  18. DMG-TR-CAN-2               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Canada
  19. DMG-TR-ESP               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Spain
  20. DMG-TR-ESP-1               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Spain
  21. DMG-TR-EUR               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Europe
  22. DMG-TR-FAH               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   France & Holland
  23. DMG-TR-FAH-A               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   France & Holland
  24. DMG-TR-FRG               Tetris (3 Line Logo)   Federal Republic of Germany
  25. DMG-TR-FRG-A               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Federal Republic of Germany
  26. DMG-TR-FRG-1               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Federal Republic of Germany
  27. DMG-TR-GPS               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Game Pak Software
  28. DMG-TR-HKG               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Hong Kong
  29. DMG-TR-ITA               Tetris (3 Line Logo)   Italy
  30. DMG-TR-ITA-A               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Italy
  31. DMG-TR-KOR               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Korea
  32. DMG-TR-NOE               Tetris (3 Line Logo)   Nintendo of Europe  <-------- New added 6-20-23
  33. DMG-TR-NOE-A               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Nintendo of Europe  <-------- Change to "A" due to addition of (3 Line Logo) 6-20-23
  34. DMG-TR-NOE-1               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Nintendo of Europe
  35. DMG-TR-ROC               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Republic of China
  36. DMG-TR-SCN               Tetris (3 Line Logo)   Scandinavia
  37. DMG-TR-SCN-A               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Scandinavia
  38. DMG-TR-SCN-1               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   Scandinavia
  39. DMG-TR-UKV               Tetris (3 Line Logo)   United Kingdom
  40. DMG-TR-UKV-A               Tetris (2 Line Logo)   United Kingdom
  41. DMG-TR-USA               Tetris (3 Line Logo / Made in Japan Bottom)   United States
  42. DMG-TR-USA-A               Tetris (3 Line Logo / Made in Japan Side / No Dash)   United States
  43. DMG-TR-USA-B               Tetris (2 Line Logo / Made in Japan Side)   United States
  44. DMG-TR-USA-1               Tetris (2 Line Logo / Made in Japan Side)   United States
  45. DMG-TR-USA-2               Tetris (Player's Choice, Rated KA w/ PC Logo)   United States

*****************************************************************************************
Rabbit Hole Chase   MANI PCB WITH CHIP
DMG-104-CHN              Tetris (2 Line Logo)   China
DMG-104-CHN-FCO      Tetris (2 Line Logo)  China (FOC)
DMG-601-CHN              4-In-1   China
DMG-601-CHN-A          4-In-1 (Code Wrong Side)   China
DMG-601-CHN-FCO      4-In-1 (FCO)   China

Edited by JVOSS
updated list
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

???  Don't know about that on please provide data...  (just starting on the japan carts...

Wwwwhhhhaaaaat?!?!  I thought that was the most well known variant of any game for the Game Boy.  Well, as a bit of background, you are aware that when the ROM version increases for a game, the stamp on the label gets an "A" by the two-digits for the first revision. If they update the ROM again, it becomes a B, and so on.

Well, all US and international Tetrises have the Rev-1 (second version) of Tetris.  However, on launch day, and maybe for the first couple of weeks, no one really knows, there was an initial revision of Tetris.  There are a few minor differences, but the most noticeable is that Song A is completely different.  Here's a YouTube video showing the music.

It's been estimated that only 25,000 of that initial version would be released (which I guess would have been the initial production batch?) but that's not been confirmed. I still need a copy as this is one of the variants not in the US that I want.  I don't believe there's a way to distinguish the original box/manual as I think the only difference from this and the launch title is an updated ROM. I also have no clue why they made this changed.

It was also rumored, and people have suggested that the most ultimate, ultra-rare, impossible to find US variant of this game is this same ROM image on a launch US cart. Alas, no one has seen or heard of one so I think that was just a kid trying to be too-cool-for-school and way lying about it.

Last I checked, these tend to go for about $50 in the US, but that was pre-COVID, so this is probably now a $100 cart. Booo COVID bump, booooooo.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Somewhat Complete list of Game Boy(DMG) Tetris Variants
  • 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Ulrizza said:

Do you have more information on the "DMG TR USA" without the dashes?

I never heard of it before and wonder if it's like the first release?

Thanks 🙂

We had discussed this on at length in the Complete GB Cart Variant thread. Personally, I was borderline on calling this one a worthehile variant but since I was managing what I considered a community list of variants, I let the majority decide that this was one of note.

I don't think we know anything about it other than multiple copies have been found with no dashed. The reason why I personally hesitate to call this one a variant is that this doesn't look like a typo to me, but just an issue with printing. I think the ink was running out on a roll that was writing that side text and because of that it was just too thin on the application.  If you pay extremely close attention to the serials on your cart stickers, there rarely is unformity at a very fine level on that side text. Fonts change across games, as does the weight. Since about 2-3 of those have been found, I guess it's fair game to call it a variant, but IMHO that was just a minor difference in printing.

Of course, it is a unique difference and could be considered an error and since common errors have a place on the variant list, I can see why this is further justifiable. This is why I was on the fence.

Doesn't matter, though. If I ever spot one, I'll likely pick it up.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RH said:

We had discussed this on at length in the Complete GB Cart Variant thread. Personally, I was borderline on calling this one a worthehile variant but since I was managing what I considered a community list of variants, I let the majority decide that this was one of note.

to add to what @RH,  the date codes are what drives the final for the variant.  i have 3 with date code of:

DMG-AAA-03 - 4 - 9038 
DMG-AAA-03 - 1 - 9039
DMG-AAA-03 - 4 - 9043

23A code.  This may support @RHstatement.

so the dates are very close.  the part that is make this a variant is that the fall in between the 2 line change over.  My data is showing the codes was just between 9038 - 9049  so the last part of 1990. now i don't have the data from the others but i sure the data will show in that time frame. 

this would make it the 2A print run. and  was only for 11 weeks.

if anyone has a "no dash Tetris" please provide data. 

in support of @RHthere is a possablity that the assembly was done with the same roll of sticker.

Thanks @RH and @JVOSS 😀

I was asking because I'll soon make a topic for my GB Tetris collection, and want to have a final list of the carts I'm looking for.

Anyway, what I understood from @RH was that it was not explicitly made this way, meaning the production process for this one was the same as the one with the dashes. The fact that the dashes are "missing" would be involuntary from Nintendo.

As for @JVOSS's answer, I never heard of those date codes. I found some of @JVOSS explications on this thread :

But I don't understand the correspondance of the date codes and the actual dates. Is there a thread where this is explained?