IGNORED

Work In Progress: Complete List of NA(US) Game Boy DMG Cartridge ROM Variants

JVOSS

Working list of Game Boy gray (DMG) carts that have a know ROM Variant.  A ROM variant is identified by the Number beside the catalog code on the ROM Chip. 

I don't intend to look at the rom data to compare rom version as this is done at The Cutting Room Floor's site (tcrf.net).

I have not found a list that documents all ROM versions so I will start with what I have in my collection.

updated on 11/24/21

The Smurfs  DMG-UP-USA  <--------------  Need Information.....
F1 Racer  DMG-F1-USA  <-------------- Only have a Non ROM in JAPAN
Hyper Lode Runner  DMG-HL-USA  <-------------- Only have a Non ROM in JAPAN

the above games have been flagged as not having a non rom original.

Edited by JVOSS

DMG-SO-USA-A-A           Boxxle (ROM A Version)

DMG-CE-USA-1-A            Caesar's Palace (Virgin Label) (ROM A Version)

DMG-EM-USA-A-A          Chessmaster, The (HiTech) (ROM A Version)

DMG-EM-USA-1-A           Chessmaster, The (Mindscape Label) (ROM A Version)

DMG-QD-USA-A-A           Donkey Kong (ROM A Version)

DMG-QD-USA-1-A           Donkey Kong (Player's Choice) (ROM A Version)

DMG-AD3E-USA-A-A      Donkey Kong Land 3 (ROM A Version)

DMG-VU-USA-A-A           Dr. Mario (ROM A Version)

DMG-VU-USA-1-A           Dr. Mario (Player's Choice, Rated KA Label) (ROM A Version)

DMG-VU-USA-2-A           Dr. Mario (Player's Choice, Rated E Label) (ROM A Version)

DMG-F1-USA-A-A            F1 Race (ROM A Version)

DMG-F1-USA-1-A             F1 Race (Player's Choice) (ROM A Version)

DMG-AGAE-USA-A-A      Game & Watch Gallery (ROM A Version)

DMG-HL-USA-A-A            Hyper Lode Runner (ROM A Version)

DMG-ZL-USA-B-B             Legend of Zelda, The: Links Awakening (ROM B Version)

DMG-ZL-USA-A-A             Legend of Zelda, The: Links Awakening (ROM A Version)

DMG-ZL-USA-1-B             Legend of Zelda, The: Links Awakening (Player's Choice)(ROM B Version)

DMG-ZL-USA-2-B             Legend of Zelda, The: Links Awakening (Rated E Label)(ROM B Version)

DMG-ZL-USA-3-B             Legend of Zelda, The: Links Awakening (Player's Choice, Rated E Label)(ROM B Version)

DMG-CP-USA-A-A            Robocop (ROM A Version)
DMG-VM-USA-A              Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball (ROM A Version)  (found by @Splain)

DMG-UF-USA-A-A            Smurfs, The (ROM A Version)

DMG-WS-USA-1A-A        Star Wars (Player's Choice) (ROM A Version)

DMG-ASFE-USA-A-A       Street Fighter II (ROM A Version)

DMG-ASFE-USA-1-A        Street Fighter II (Player's Choice) (ROM A Version)

DMG-ML-USA-A-A           Super Mario Land (ROM A Version)

DMG-ML-USA-1-A           Super Mario Land (Player's Choice, KA) (ROM A Version)

DMG-ML-USA-2-A           Super Mario Land (Player's Choice, Black "E") (ROM A Version)

DMG-MQ-USA-A-A         Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (ROM A Version)

DMG-MQ-USA-B-B          Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (ROM B Version)

DMG-MQ-USA-1-B          Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Player's Choice) (ROM B Version)

DMG-MQ-USA-2-B          Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Player's Choice, Solid E Label) (ROM B Version)

DMG-TR-USA-A-A            Tetris (Made in Japan Bottom / 3 Line Logo) (ROM A Version)

DMG-TR-USA-A-A            Tetris (No Dash / Made in Japan Bottom  / 3 Line Logo) (ROM A Version)

DMG-TR-USA-B-A            Tetris (Made in Japan Side / 2 Line Logo) (ROM A Version)

DMG-TR-USA-1-A            Tetris (Player's Choice, no PC Logo) (ROM A Version)

DMG-TR-USA-2-A            Tetris (Player's Choice, Rated KA w/ PC Logo) (ROM A Version)

DMG-AYLE-USA-A-A       Tetris Attack (ROM A Version)

DMG-AQHE-USA-A-A     Toy Story (ROM A Version)

Edited by JVOSS
updated list

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

Ah, I just noticed this thread. This does exist.

LA_Cart_0B.jpg.dad81e26ed5cba5662b8564f43fea7e1.jpg

3 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

@0xDEAFC0DETHANK!!  been trying to verify this..  is this yours?

I'm pretty sure we all have B Revs  if we have Rev 1, 2 or 3 carts. I haven't looked thoroughly but I'm quite sureI have a B.

I know copyright I fringement is an iasue, but I'd love to have a ROM dB of all of these variants. Maybe there is a diff tool that makes patches to the primary ROM so it's semi legitimate to share the data if it's only patch files.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, JVOSS said:

@0xDEAFC0DETHANK!!  been trying to verify this..  is this yours?

No, it looks like I got the picture from Rondy who got it from ebay. He also sent two more. EDIT: actually it looks like the original I posted and the first picture below are the same cartridge from different angles.

Spoiler

722161083_eBaypic02.jpg.5223864ad459ca1927dd1e776eff7b03.jpg

1631847425_eBaypic03.thumb.jpg.d2b37755b46b6ed1b53e47510d48bdf9.jpg

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE

18 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

@0xDEAFC0DEas of right now ill mark as photo verified.  will have to go and look for this version there are 4 now that i don't own and are currently invalidated.  all other have been validated. 

I'll try to check my collection.  I know I have a stack of games I need to get off my duff and trade/sell.  Zelda is just so common, I should have a total of 2-3 of this variant.  I could be wrong, but it feels right that I have one of these.  I'm probably wrong though, so don't get your hopes up.

Also, @JVOSS where did you get this list?  Is it exhaustive to date?  I'm quite surprised if that is all of the known ROM variants for all 500+ games.  Certainly not.

32 minutes ago, RH said:

I'll try to check my collection.  I know I have a stack of games I need to get off my duff and trade/sell.  Zelda is just so common, I should have a total of 2-3 of this variant.  I could be wrong, but it feels right that I have one of these.  I'm probably wrong though, so don't get your hopes up.

Also, @JVOSS where did you get this list?  Is it exhaustive to date?  I'm quite surprised if that is all of the known ROM variants for all 500+ games.  Certainly not.

out of 1386 NA games this is what i have documented.  not a lot of games had rom updates.  my guess is that developers did not opt to update games due to cost and or popularity.  most of the game here are/were popular or did a rev update.  a few were rom updates before a rev was pushed. 

as of right now the shortest rom to rom was 1 month. MQ went from romA to romB in less then a month.  so i guessing that most wont have the romA for MQ..

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

list is updated to include the new finds.  3 are still unconfirmed as to an original non ROM update they are.

The Smurfs  DMG-UP-USA
F1 Racer  DMG-F1-USA
Hyper Lode Runner  DMG-HL-USA

i have yet to find an original of the above 3 without an "A ROM" code.  Even in japan's game listing.  anyone with data or images please post and then DM i would like to close out my GB set. 

As with any list. This is a living breathing list and new items are found everyday.

Join the hunt and share your findings.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

While cataloging today i found a new undocumented ROM variant.  so for now i have a Mortal Kombat 3 with a label code of 22A, but the the pcb is not showing it as an -1 rom.  if you have an Mortal Kombat 3 please look to see if you have a rom code "A"  and post some pics.

• 1 year later...

@Splain  "Repair"  is what i have used for a rom that dose not match the pcb ic code..  This is what i'm calling it this has show up in more like JPN Pokemon Yellow  they have codes A through D but the highest chip code is -2...    In Europe there Mortal Combat 2 (IIRC) has a A rom code and the Chip shows none..  or even the Zelda DX has rom codes A, AB, B, C  but only show -2 on the chips.  so the only reasonable explanation i can see is that Nintendo did a repair and put these back out through there Employee Stors world wide..