IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

5 hours ago, doner24 said:

Found a 5 screw Metal Gear in my collection as I’m going through it to sell everything. Still had the price tag of $6.29 from 2010 on it, any idea of what it would be worth? 

Can you take a back pic and a close up of the circuit board?

5 hours ago, doner24 said:

Found a 5 screw Metal Gear in my collection as I’m going through it to sell everything. Still had the price tag of $6.29 from 2010 on it, any idea of what it would be worth? 

IMG_1765.jpeg

Nice find especially when it’s just sitting around in the collection lol. I can’t offer you what it’s worth but if you were feeling generous let me know. Best of luck with the sale.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Goodvibes said:

Nice find especially when it’s just sitting around in the collection lol. I can’t offer you what it’s worth but if you were feeling generous let me know. Best of luck with the sale.

Thanks, I never actively went after the screw variants but grabbed them in the wild every time I found one I didn’t have. The only one of around 60 I ended up with I didn’t buy at a local mom and pop shop was Goonies 2 that I snagged off of NintendoAge from a buddy. Truly had no idea this one was rare until today 😂. I know I passed on a Gotcha as well at $15 because it was double the 3 screw. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Thanks, I never actively went after the screw variants but grabbed them in the wild every time I found one I didn’t have. The only one of around 60 I ended up with I didn’t buy at a local mom and pop shop was Goonies 2 that I snagged off of NintendoAge from a buddy. Truly had no idea this one was rare until today 😂. I know I passed on a Gotcha as well at $15 because it was double the 3 screw. 

Haha on the gotcha, that’s one I hope to find one day. I can’t pay what they’re going for so I hope to find at a shop like a goonies 5 screw dupe I found a few months ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DK said:

The end label has peeling on both edges and possible bumps of dirt to the right of the title:
image.png.e38687498243dd192225de3aa74ba1a4.png

Despite the peel I'm still leaning towards legit.

Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out: https://www.ebay.com/itm/176253080779

I'm totally leaning at NOT legit. That's a label swap if I ever saw one. 

That back label section also seems like an obvious scrape job. There are scratches all over that section. 

Edited by Stormarov.45

5 hours ago, Stormarov.45 said:

That back label section also seems like an obvious scrape job. There are scratches all over that section. 

Damn, idk. The labels are usually trash on these Konami 5 screws, but this is bubbling up a lot, so I see your point there. 

I don't see bad scratching on back, but maybe that's just the pic on my phone.

Either way, these are so hard to buy for ebay prices when they are rather easy to fake... I wish the screw variants could've stayed niche enough to not attract scammers.

18 hours ago, Stormarov.45 said:

I agree with you that the latitudinal scuffs in particular on the back are indeed a red flag...........

And then there is the fact that it is Blades Of Steel, which we would have expected to have seen a long time ago and many times already...

Edited by PII

i am the seller of the Blades of Steel on ebay. if i can post any more pics if that helps, just let me know. im not an expert on these but it looks legit to me. peeling end labels are fairly common there was probably dirt stuck to it and someone pushed it back on to make those bumps. the rest of the label looks good.  the scratches on the back look like just from normal wear of a decades old game. one would think that area would actually be mint if it had been protected by a label all this time.  also i got it in a goodwill lot with 6 other games for cheap money. i doubt goodwill would have bothered faking it for the small amount they got.

Edited by longclaw

On 2/25/2024 at 3:10 PM, longclaw said:

i am the seller of the Blades of Steel on ebay. if i can post any more pics if that helps, just let me know. im not an expert on these but it looks legit to me. peeling end labels are fairly common there was probably dirt stuck to it and someone pushed it back on to make those bumps. the rest of the label looks good.  the scratches on the back look like just from normal wear of a decades old game. one would think that area would actually be mint if it had been protected by a label all this time.  also i got it in a goodwill lot with 6 other games for cheap money. i doubt goodwill would have bothered faking it for the small amount they got.

No one is saying that Goodwill faked it, and we aren't saying you did either. We are only saying that it is a fake. It was faked with the express intention of posing as a Konami replacement shell. Who is to blame is irrelevant.

With all the recent Konami / Ultra 5-Screw developments, I've decided to add the early Konami 5 Screw games to the list.

So far, Goonies II and Castlevania are confirmed to have "late label 5-screw" variants. Others need work.

Also, I lost the photo I had for Castlevania III 5 Screw, so I'm removing it from the list.

Publisher Month Year Title 5 Screw 3 Screw
Konami 12 1986 Gradius Special* Yes
Konami 4 1987 Castlevania Yes Yes
Konami 4 1987 Rush'n Attack Special* Yes
Konami 4 1987 Track & Field Special* Yes
Konami 9 1987 Double Dribble Special* Yes
Konami 9 1987 Stinger Special* Yes
Konami 11 1987 Goonies II Yes Yes
Konami 11 1987 Top Gun Special* Yes
Konami 2 1988 Contra Yes Yes
Ultra Games 6 1988 Metal Gear Yes Yes
Konami 8 1988 Life Force Possible Yes
Konami 9 1988 Jackal Yes Yes
Konami 12 1988 Blades of Steel Yes Yes
Konami 12 1988 Castlevania II: Simon's Quest Yes Yes
Ultra Games 12 1988 Skate or Die Yes Yes
Ultra Games 2 1989 Gyruss Possible Yes
Ultra Games 2 1989 Q*bert Yes Yes
Konami 3 1989 Track & Field II Yes Yes
Konami 6 1989 Adventures of Bayou Billy Yes Yes
Ultra Games 6 1989 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Yes Yes
Ultra Games 7 1989 Defender of the Crown Yes Yes
Ultra Games 12 1989 Silent Service Yes Yes
Ultra Games 1 1990 Kings of the Beach: Professional Beach Volleyball Yes Yes
Konami 1 1990 Top Gun: The Second Mission Yes Yes
Konami 3 1990 Jack Nicklaus' Greatest 18 Holes of Major Championship Golf Possible Yes
Ultra Games 4 1990 Snake's Revenge Yes Yes
Konami 4 1990 Super C Yes Yes
Konami 9 1990 Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse Possible Yes
Ultra Games 9 1990 Mission: Impossible Yes Yes
Ultra Games 9 1990 Rollergames Yes Yes
Ultra Games 12 1990 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game Yes Yes
Ultra Games 2 1991 Ski or Die Yes Yes
Konami 4 1991 Bill Elliott's NASCAR Challenge Yes Yes
Ultra Games 6 1991 Cyber Stadium Series: Base Wars Yes Yes
Konami 6 1991 Laser Invasion Possible Yes
Konami 8 1991 Lone Ranger Possible Yes
Ultra Games 10 1991 Pirates! Possible Yes
Konami 10 1991 Where in Time Is Carmen Sandiego? Yes Yes
Konami 12 1991 Tiny Toon Adventures Yes Yes
Konami 1 1992 Bucky O'Hare Unlikely Yes
Konami 1 1992 Monster in My Pocket Unlikely Yes
Ultra Games 1 1992 Nightshade Unlikely Yes
Ultra Games 2 1992 Star Trek 25th Anniversary Unlikely Yes
Konami 2 1992 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project Unlikely Yes
Konami 6 1992 King's Quest V Unlikely Yes
Konami 9 1992 Contra Force Unlikely Yes
Konami 12 1992 Tiny Toon Adventures Cartoon Workshop Unlikely Yes
Konami 1 1993 Batman Returns Unlikely Yes
Konami 3 1993 Zen: Intergalactic Ninja Unlikely Yes
Konami 4 1993 Tiny Toon Adventures 2: Trouble in Wackyland Unlikely Yes
Konami 2 1994 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters Unlikely Yes

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

@ThePhleoWas the 5 screw Castevania 3 yours and did you confirm that it was legit?

Also, is the Blades of Steel  that has been found recently the reason that "Blades of Steel 5 Screw" has a yes?

Castlevania 3 wasn't mine, but I think it was discovered right before NA went down and I never had time to save it.

Blades of Steel is in fact based off of the recent sale, and despite the top label being total crap...it seems authentic.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Castlevania 3 wasn't mine, but I think it was discovered right before NA went down and I never had time to save it.

Blades of Steel is in fact based off of the recent sale, and despite the top label being total crap...it seems authentic.

Good to know!  Youre always the go to expert!

So, it’s easy to spot 5 screws and check if they are rare or not, but do any of you have a list of 3-screw titles that are specifically rare? I know Gyromite is.  Are there others to keep an eye out for?

11 minutes ago, RH said:

So, it’s easy to spot 5 screws and check if they are rare or not, but do any of you have a list of 3-screw titles that are specifically rare? I know Gyromite is.  Are there others to keep an eye out for?

Heres my list of what I look out for:

Athletic World
Donkey Kong Arcade Classic Series
DK Jr Arcade Classic Series
DK Jr Math Arcade Classic Series
Gyromite
MUSCLE
Soccer
Stack-Up
Stinger
  • Agree 1