IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

On 11/25/2022 at 9:40 AM, guitarzombie said:

Where did that ebay seller even get the idea to start at 12k?

I remember seeing recently a 5-Screw Metal Gear that IIRC was priced at 12k...  Not really sure, but maybe that's the knew figure to float around in order to try and push these into or close to the 5 figure range...

BTW that instrument is called a "Synthaxe" I'm interested in. 

Wow!, very cool.  I would love to have one.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 10:20 PM, guitarzombie said:

But it was sold on ebay as a best offer was accepted.  The link I just posted was the SOLD ebay auction.  Not 12k but I think PC takes what it actually sold for.  It sold on 10-14 which is over a month ago.  Aside from that, any other way to check?

I dug through Ebay's pricing API last year and couldn't find anything that would give me the sold price for an auction so I have no idea where Price Charting is getting that information if not directly from the buyer / seller themselves. I can get the list price and I can get the sale type (auction, buy it now, best offer) but no actual sold price.

On 11/25/2022 at 12:06 AM, Divingninja said:

Does WATA take pictures of and then give you access to those board pictures?

If you pay $5 for them, yes. I get it for all my grades to know the date codes.

On 11/25/2022 at 5:27 PM, Hollywoodcaddy said:

Here's the thing tho...ebay can be manipulated fairly easy...let's say me and a buddy work out that I'm going to sell a game for 10k...he buys it...he pays me through ebay...all that good stuff like a normal transaction...now granted there are still fees...but if I'm the one that is handling all the money...paying tax...paying ebay fees ect...I've only really spent a few hundred extra dollars correct...but now there's "hard" evidence of a known sale...on ebay as well as other platforms like price charting...so now people have a reference point for that game...now my $3000 dollar game is worth 10k in the eyes of alot of people...I'm not saying that is what happened or if doing that would even work ..but I'm saying now when someone looks up a sale on that game ...POOF it's right there in black and white for someone so see...you know what I mean

It's not impossible that an impatient, rich, obsessive Mega Man fan bought it.  But this ↑ right here is how the world works.  In my experience the average Joe/Jane is not ready to nut up and swallow such a big unpleasant spoonful in most any regard, no matter how well or how rationally it is explained or how much proof is shown.  Which is, ironically, a significant part of why things can work this way...

On 11/29/2022 at 5:13 PM, PII said:

It's not impossible that an impatient, rich, obsessive Mega Man fan bought it.  But this ↑ right here is how the world works.  In my experience the average Joe/Jane is not ready to nut up and swallow such a big unpleasant spoonful in most any regard, no matter how well or how rationally it is explained or how much proof is shown.  Which is, ironically, a significant part of why things can work this way...

You're right, that is the way the world works, but I also think NES variants are legitimately next in line for absurd price jumps.  First it was NWC, SE and Little Samson, then prices went up across the board, then it was sticker seal Marios, then it was sealed everything.  Feel like I'm missing something in that list, but I think variants are next until literally everything rare or interesting about the NES has been priced out.  5 figures for 5 screw Mega Man is not surprising to me honestly.

Edit: remembered what was missing on that list.  Prototypes.

Edited by wyansas
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, PII said:

I remember seeing recently a 5-Screw Metal Gear that IIRC was priced at 12k...  Not really sure, but maybe that's the knew figure to float around in order to try and push these into or close to the 5 figure range...

BTW that instrument is called a "Synthaxe" I'm interested in. 

Wow!, very cool.  I would love to have one.

Thanks!  I ended up buying in on Monday haha.  I think that 10k Mega Man sale is valid but I'm not in a rush to sell it.  Ill see how the waters are before I let it go.  Or who knows, I have other things I wanna do that might eat up that hole in my account haha.

4 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I dug through Ebay's pricing API last year and couldn't find anything that would give me the sold price for an auction so I have no idea where Price Charting is getting that information if not directly from the buyer / seller themselves. I can get the list price and I can get the sale type (auction, buy it now, best offer) but no actual sold price.

Thanks for the help.  It shows on price charting some prices around 3k, but I dunno why those sales, if they are, aren't listed.

3 hours ago, wyansas said:

You're right, that is the way the world works, but I also think NES variants are legitimately next in line for absurd price jumps.  First it was NWC, SE and Little Samson, then prices went up across the board, then it was sticker seal Marios, then it was sealed everything.  Feel like I'm missing something in that list, but I think variants are next until literally everything rare or interesting about the NES has been priced out.  5 figures for 5 screw Mega Man is not surprising to me honestly.

I do agree.  Its the itch to get the really rare thing.  If you got a full set, or close to it, whats next?  But compared to other 5 screw rarities (Jaws, Star Force, MTPO, Gotcha) I'm really surprised, although they moved up, it doesn't seem to be proportionally. 

This may not be the right place to post this, but I don't know where your other "NES Misprints" thread is.

I noticed that the manual for the Australian(Mattel)-released "Rad Racer" has a misprint on the manual. The "white" part of the text on the back and front label is not aligned with the other colors. It's much more obvious in-person than in the photos, and in-person, it's obvious it's not intended. See how it is misaligned with both blue and red text/logo.

Doesn't seem to have affected any of the other PAL-A Rad Racer games.

IMG_9143.JPG

IMG_9142.JPG

Edited by Joshua Rogers
  • Like 1

Divingninja having one TM and one R TMNT 5 screw has inspired me, and I'm looking for a few pointless one-to-one trades out of the goodness of your hearts...

Would anyone with a Super C 5 screw with an R seal be willing to trade for one that has a TM seal?
Anyone with a Donkey Kong Jr. 3 screw System TM want to trade for one that has System R?
Anyone with a TMNT 5 screw with a TM seal want to trade for one that has an R seal?

Here's the pics of the ones I have for trade: https://imgur.com/a/VYPaj35

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CrowTRobot said:

Long time, No post. Just looking at my NES game recently and found this. Guess I didn't look too closely at my Gyromite 3-Screws but one has "Made in Japan" and one does not. The "Made in Japan" is also has a Rev-A backing.

IMG_20221218_163720977~2.jpg

IMG_20221218_163731492~2.jpg

IMG_20221218_163653959~2.jpg

IMG_20221218_163754205~2.jpg

The  right one (without the MiJ) looks extremely sketch to me.

Edited by Stormarov.45

On 12/17/2022 at 4:44 AM, wyansas said:

Divingninja having one TM and one R TMNT 5 screw has inspired me, and I'm looking for a few pointless one-to-one trades out of the goodness of your hearts...

Would anyone with a Super C 5 screw with an R seal be willing to trade for one that has a TM seal?
Anyone with a Donkey Kong Jr. 3 screw System TM want to trade for one that has System R?
Anyone with a TMNT 5 screw with a TM seal want to trade for one that has an R seal?

Here's the pics of the ones I have for trade: https://imgur.com/a/VYPaj35

There shouldn't be a TMNT 5 screw with an (R) oval seal. I don't know about the other two though.

Edited by Stormarov.45

27 minutes ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Well, technically no TMNT 5 screws should exist. Konami/Ultra 5 screws aren't contingent on release times since they were probably factory refurbs. 

I used to believe the Konami/Ultra 5 screws were the NFR or potentially preview type carts etc, but me having both a TMNT oval seal TM and TMNT oval seal R was my biggest clue to side with refurbished theory as it would have spanned over a longer period of time for the same game. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Divingninja said:

I used to believe the Konami/Ultra 5 screws were the NFR or potentially preview type carts etc, but me having both a TMNT oval seal TM and TMNT oval seal R was my biggest clue to side with refurbished theory as it would have spanned over a longer period of time for the same game. 

Now technically that said, if refurbished, they very well could have found a box of 5 screw shells way after all these games were released and decided to use them for a specific period of time when people sent in all their various releases of their game that were out in the market at that time. The oval tm TMNT I have is end of ‘89 and oval R is beginning of ‘90

• Like 1

@CrowTRobot what are the date codes?  The 3 screw Gryos should all be around 8748 as IIRC all the rare Black Box 3 screw games (DK, DK Jr, Volleyball, Gyro) were all reprinted one final time for the Xmas season of 1987.  Its possible they were just slapping any Gyromite label they had at the time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

@CrowTRobot what are the date codes?  The 3 screw Gryos should all be around 8748 as IIRC all the rare Black Box 3 screw games (DK, DK Jr, Volleyball, Gyro) were all reprinted one final time for the Xmas season of 1987.  Its possible they were just slapping any Gyromite label they had at the time.

The "Made in Japan" is 8704 and the other is 8644. If I'm right about which numbers they are. Never looked other than to make sure it a legit board.