IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

On 11/8/2022 at 10:32 PM, guitarzombie said:

From what I can tell, like my 5 MTPO, the back label doesn't look stamped with a number and is completely flat, were a large majority of the NES games back label has a number stamped on it, and that stamp leaves a little crease that lifts from the plastic

Sorry, I just saw your message.  My Tyson is just like yours.  I’m not up to speed on all the variations for the screw variants.  

• 2 weeks later...

Uh, anyone know about this?  Price charting says it sold for $10.2k?!?!  This is my favorite piece I own, and Laketown hooked me up.  Ill eat my words and say he was right and I was wrong.  But now, theres literally a rare instrument I wanted to buy thats 10k...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275511731758?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336510469&customid=G38045_forSaleOn-control&toolid=10001

21 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Uh, anyone know about this?  Price charting says it sold for $10.2k?!?!  This is my favorite piece I own, and Laketown hooked me up.  Ill eat my words and say he was right and I was wrong.  But now, theres literally a rare instrument I wanted to buy thats 10k...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275511731758?mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5336510469&customid=G38045_forSaleOn-control&toolid=10001

Man, that's a shame.  Had that guy had it slabbed in a Wata case, he could have gotten 3-5x that price.

</sarc>

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RH said:

Man, that's a shame.  Had that guy had it slabbed in a Wata case, he could have gotten 3-5x that price.

</sarc>

Haha yeah... but who would buy it at this price?  It would really be hard for me to say no to 10k, only because I would love to put it to something else thats almost rarer.

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

Not saying its impossible, but it seems unlikely to put it mildly.  Just because price charting puts a blip on a screen that doesn't make it stone cold reality.  Case in point, price charting has 5-screw Star Force listed at 102.41 in spite of the fact that one sold a few years ago for a lot more.  I know how rare it is and I know its mega man but 10k is out of left field compared to previous posted prices for this one and sounds more like baloney to my ear.  Not that I wouldn't have expected it to fetch a price like this eventually, but going from 3k to 10k at the drop of a hat seems too excessive for me to swallow, based on a blip.

Edited by PII

10 minutes ago, PII said:

Not saying its impossible, but it seems unlikely to put it mildly.  Just because price charting puts a blip on a screen that doesn't make it stone cold reality.  Case in point, price charting has 5-screw Star Force listed at 102.41 in spite of the fact that one sold a few years ago for a lot more.  I know how rare it is and I know its mega man but 10k is out of left field compared to previous posted prices for this one and sounds more like baloney to my ear.  Not that I wouldn't have expected it to fetch a price like this eventually, but going from 3k to 10k at the drop of a hat seems to excessive for me to swallow, based on a blip.

But it was sold on ebay as a best offer was accepted.  The link I just posted was the SOLD ebay auction.  Not 12k but I think PC takes what it actually sold for.  It sold on 10-14 which is over a month ago.  Aside from that, any other way to check?

10 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

But it was sold on ebay as a best offer was accepted.  The link I just posted was the SOLD ebay auction.  Not 12k but I think PC takes what it actually sold for.  It sold on 10-14 which is over a month ago.  Aside from that, any other way to check?

Then the last x number of sales should be averaged out; the single latest sale shouldn't become the de facto going rate for any item.  I guess if it's "once in a decade" rare then maybe, but this seems ridiculous to me...

21 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

So we can see ~12k crossed off on the ebay sale and we can see PC telling us it sold for 10.2k, but how do we know that's what actually happened?  Is there a trustworthy guy somewhere who ultimately controls everything that happens on price charting?  Or is it just some programs juggling numbers?  Is there a coalition of honorable and virtuous people who check up on these things for us to make sure there aren't any mistakes or funny business?  Not looking to piss in anyone's cornflakes, presently, I'm just asking questions.  

I use price charting.  Overall I'd say its pretty accurate and useful, but I also see things that don't exactly make perfect sense there all the time.  PC has been telling us for years now that NWC Gold is cheaper than a regular NWC Cartridge.  It also thinks the NWC Gold cart is worth ~19k.  Seven years ago I watched a video of a guy being interviewed who owned both of these carts and said he'd been offered 40k for the gold and turned it down.  So PC was wrong about it then and seven years later its still wrong.  I don't think anyone's getting a NWC Gold for less than 6 figures.

Just now I looked up Terra Cresta and PC says the Cart is ~50 which sounds about right since it was about 30-35 before everything went up in the last two years, taking into account that Terra Cresta in an obscure game, most people aren't even aware of it and the demand isn't as high relative to most other NES games.  If it were better known, I'd expect to see a current price more like 60-70.  So I search for it on Ebay and I see one for 50 obo, which means 45-50 so that seems to check out.  But PC also says that the manual is 60!  How often is a manual more expensive than the cart?  Very, very rarely.  So I look that up and I see one for 36 obo.  

I know I'm blathering on, but this makes me think of how the entertainment industry can take a song that's a total piece of crap and play it over and over on the radio and have everyone "cool" that kids look up to telling the kids that this band is the coolest thing ever and pretty soon after hearing it a few dozen times they think its the greatest thing ever.  Well, it works that way with everything.  It's the power of suggestion.

Anywhoze, @guitarzombie not trying to piss in the flakes.  Its an awesome variant and might have sold for that much, but a sudden 7k jump is the kind of thing that give me pause.  And either way I think @Dr. Morbis is correct in pointing out the need for averaging.  It wasn't that long ago that I can recall seeing a couple of 5-screw Mega Mans going for a hell of a lot less.

Anyway, I hope things work out great! 

(kinda curious what that instrument is....)

On 11/8/2022 at 8:48 PM, Mydogsrule said:

I can’t find my board pictures   I had it slabbed for personal preference so of course can’t get the needed board pictures.  I thought I posted them somewhere in the past though.  Maybe I will find the pic eventually   

76F66CDC-D438-45A5-9894-D8C731D8EF72.thumb.jpeg.121015f92d7bb9f582838cb7aa52c732.jpeg

D4F1DF2D-7DD4-450A-843D-C1E869EC2A09.jpeg

Does WATA take pictures of and then give you access to those board pictures?

@PII All price charting did, as well as gamevaluenow is sift data.  They have parameters set like if you were to search for something (Bubble Bobble part 2), etc and scrapes and records data for sold listings.  Sometimes there will be some wrong info there if someone listed their game wrong that could skew the price, and a person would have to remove it, which is why they have a notification feature if something is wrong.

The reason why those NWC prices are 'wrong', is because there haven't been any sales on ebay to record!  Sure they could be worth more, OR less.  You need continuous sales to even out the prices.  The question I have is, this 5 screw Mega Man really sold for 10k?  It says like it did.  Do I think its worth that much?  No.  But if someone paid for it, I would probably take 10k for it, only because I want to buy that instrument.  It was more like a "WTF!?" moment.  5 screw Mega Mans are sure really rare, but its odd there are no other saved sales.  It did say 3k before, and I think I remember that, so I don't know where those went. 

Is it possible pricecharting can list prices for something that sold but the buyer didn't pay?  That would be the key, because it seems incredibly ridiculous (especially how things are now) for the price to jump up THAT high.  Where did that ebay seller even get the idea to start at 12k?

BTW that instrument is called a "Synthaxe" I'm interested in.

On 11/22/2022 at 11:39 AM, ThePhleo said:

Ultra, ultra rare....seen one in 10 years of collecting....might be on par with 5-Screw Stadium Events, 3-Screw Stinger, and 3-Screw DK Math.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.25c9af3ce12a3220eebfedc0a3674930.jpg

So I got my Q*bert oval seal/®️ it came with the box and manual, the manual on the inside has an oval seal/TM and the date code inside the manual last page is 00910 the same code is on the box flap. The back of the cart has no label but doesn’t look like someone removed it. Some people are saying it could be a repair cart no one really knows for sure though.6F472434-B31C-4188-B81A-029F34A2451C.thumb.jpeg.f633d204d5c3ccee572aac3d4d29cc3c.jpeg6B5917F7-4BEC-4EE8-87C8-499202D725E5.thumb.jpeg.f514a0e418d77afb34efb06b8b7e615f.jpeg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Here's the thing tho...ebay can be manipulated fairly easy...let's say me and a buddy work out that I'm going to sell a game for 10k...he buys it...he pays me through ebay...all that good stuff like a normal transaction...now granted there are still fees...but if I'm the one that is handling all the money...paying tax...paying ebay fees ect...I've only really spent a few hundred extra dollars correct...but now there's "hard" evidence of a known sale...on ebay as well as other platforms like price charting...so now people have a reference point for that game...now my $3000 dollar game is worth 10k in the eyes of alot of people...I'm not saying that is what happened or if doing that would even work ..but I'm saying now when someone looks up a sale on that game ...POOF it's right there in black and white for someone so see...you know what I mean

• Agree 1

Just now, Hollywoodcaddy said:

Here's the thing tho...ebay can be manipulated fairly easy...let's say me and a buddy work out that I'm going to sell a game for 10k...he buys it...he pays me through ebay...all that good stuff like a normal transaction...now granted there are still fees...but if I'm the one that is handling all the money...paying tax...paying ebay fees ect...I've only really spent a few hundred extra dollars correct...but now there's "hard" evidence of a known sale...on ebay as well as other platforms like price charting...so now people have a reference point for that game...now my $3000 dollar game is worth 10k in the eyes of alot of people...I'm not saying that is what happened or if doing that would even work ..but I'm saying now when someone looks up a sale on that game ...POOF it's right there in black and white for someone so see...you know what I mean

And 10k for a 5 screw Mega Man...I may be WAY off...but there was a 5 screw Mega Man on ebay for 2 years because the guy started off wanting 10k...then as time went on the price kept getting lower and lower and lower and finally about 6 months ago someone either bought it for like 3k or somewhere around there or he just finally took it off...and yes I know my timeline is a bit off and the finishing buy it now may not be exactly 3k haha...but I think you get my point....from six months ago around 3k to a month ago to 10k...seems a bit fishy to me

9 minutes ago, Hollywoodcaddy said:

True, but thats the ONLY scenario and its HIGHLY improbable that actually happened.  I can play the waiting game to see what happens next, I just found it as bizarre as you but from all accounts, it seems like it was legit.  I cant imagine why anyone would pay 10k unless it was an impatient buyer?  Who knows, but its really strange.

2 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

True, but thats the ONLY scenario and its HIGHLY improbable that actually happened.  I can play the waiting game to see what happens next, I just found it as bizarre as you but from all accounts, it seems like it was legit.  I cant imagine why anyone would pay 10k unless it was an impatient buyer?  Who knows, but its really strange.

Exactly haha...that's quite a jump in price over 6 months...10k for that...it's cool and all but to me it's not 10k cool haha...

• Agree 1

Like @NESCollector15 I found a 3 screw Qbert R seal on ebay last week:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304713669576

I'm usually not into minor variants like trademarks and MIJs, but I wanted to snatch this one up because, like NESCollector's, it's got no back label and therefore seems related to the Konami-Ultra 5 screws, which are looking more like refurbs.

Besides it having no back label, it's interesting that mine and NESCollector's have all the exact same codes and dates on every chip.  The PRG is from the last week of 1988, while the (R) oval seal suggests the label is from March 1990 or later.  Pretty interesting.

Also, once I got mine in the mail I noticed it has a double label.

20221129_145135.jpg.57cb7fe371dddf8d667f2d15d847ef22.jpg

• Like 3