IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

11 hours ago, phart010 said:

Pro-tip: view the ended auction on your phone. Then “Request Desktop Website” or “view in Desktop Mode”

On iPhone, you can do this easily by clicking on the “AA” to the left of the URL. Now eBay takes you back to the main page in desktop mode. Find the auction under your “Recently viewed” items.

while you are looking at the auction photos in desktop mode, the photos are in much higher resolution 

Very cool didn’t know you could do that, thanks.

On 8/9/2021 at 10:46 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

You'll find lots of long time NES collectors here 🙂

Post a picture of your item and all the smarty pants will come out of the woodwork and let you know what they think...

Ignore the mess of clothes, but here's photos of the box condition.  Pretty poor in places haha.  I didn't take pictures of the manual or anything, but it's there.

IMG_20210811_093907070.jpg

IMG_20210811_093859691.jpg

IMG_20210811_093853567.jpg

IMG_20210811_093838695.jpg

IMG_20210811_093830734.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DaBaddestHic said:

Ignore the mess of clothes, but here's photos of the box condition.  Pretty poor in places haha.  I didn't take pictures of the manual or anything, but it's there.

IMG_20210811_093907070.jpg

IMG_20210811_093859691.jpg

IMG_20210811_093853567.jpg

IMG_20210811_093838695.jpg

IMG_20210811_093830734.jpg

Any chance we can get the date code on the top right flap of the box?

It's a tiny little 5 digit number under the "NES-UM-USA-1" code.

On 8/15/2021 at 1:44 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

I meant NES publisher, as in Konami.  I'll edit my post to reflect that...

And also, the date codes are entirely irrelevant since the only way this can legitimately exist is as a cart refurbished by Konami, meaning the game could have been sent back to them at any time from any print run...

My guess is that these are NOT refurbs.  The main pieces of evidence that they're not refurbs are

1. The only rare Konami/Ultra 5 screws we see have oval seals. If they were refurbs, anyone with any seal could send it in and get their label put on a 5 screw shell, and we don't see that.

2. The earliest and latest K/U games haven't been found with rare 5 screw variants. If any K/U game could be sent in to get refurbished, this wouldn't be the case.

3. We see these things in all kinds of conditions.  If the owner cared enough to send it in to get it refurbished, you would think that refurbished copy would be less likely to get messed up again.

I may be totally wrong, but that's what it seems like to me.

Edited by wyansas

Sorry for the late reply:

On 8/5/2021 at 1:26 PM, Ferris Bueller said:

Do you know this as fact, or just making a guess? It sounds like you may have firsthand knowledge. Did you use to work at a repair center or NoA? Would love to have this settled once and for all.

I do not know this first hand, I was too young to work in a fab facility, (I am 41). However I understand this is the case from word of mouth and I am an Electrical Engineer with a VLSI/D background, so I know how this kind (or any kind really) of manufacturing industry operates. 

One the machines are retrofitted for the 3 screw shell, the 5 screw shells cant be used. You don't hold up a 100k retrofit over a few thousand plastic shells that are worth 1 penny each. Then in order to save on cost, instead of just throwing the shells away, you just ship them to a repair facility, since they will be operating by hand anyway. The costs is slightly less than shipping them new shells. And repair facilities aren't putting out all that many repairs, they probably had 5 screw shells for years. (All of that part is speculation, but a well informed one) 

However, I have had a former repair tech claim to me that they had 5 screw shells available for them. How they got them, why they still had them, was the part for speculation. 

So I can't say for sure that the machine retrofit was the reason for there being extra shells available, but I'd say it's likely a very good bet. 

On 8/5/2021 at 6:34 PM, guitarzombie said:

Oh I wasn't, but I didn't know that was the case.  Totally plausible.  My only question is how did they get the label?  They printed only one label?  Were extra labels printed just in case?

Labels are printed in bulk, they already had stacks of printed labels. Because remember, large industrial printers are used here. There was no such thing as a photo printer yet.  I don't know what they did if they didn't have a label already. Perhaps they had to order a one off print? That would require a down printer day (a day where no orders are being printed) and a days work of replacing the plates and ink canisters, and run and adjusting that machine until a good print occurs, only to put it back the way it was, or fit it for the next order.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 8:44 PM, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Did RC Pro-Am cart ever have the seal moved down to the bottom right corner? I see late print boxes that did,  so didn't know if that existed or not... I'm assuming no

Appears seal on cart still at top right but did come out as oval with TM and Oval with R

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

Found a Nintendo service center brochure on eBay and was quickly snipped as I logged into PayPal. Took a screenshot of something I found interesting. Haven’t been able to find the listing since. I’ve asked some people about the service centers repairing games and never really got anything concrete. Surely there’s a collector out there with a repair center binder that details the process. 

79B03F88-FA32-4CA2-B31F-55305E808379.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Will end up going for more than I can put towards it unfortunately. One day I’ll find one for a fair price hopefully.

1 hour ago, Funky_brewsta said:

Found a Nintendo service center brochure on eBay and was quickly snipped as I logged into PayPal. Took a screenshot of something I found interesting. Haven’t been able to find the listing since. I’ve asked some people about the service centers repairing games and never really got anything concrete. Surely there’s a collector out there with a repair center binder that details the process. 

79B03F88-FA32-4CA2-B31F-55305E808379.jpeg

I have some of these older brochures, did you happen to get a picture of what the front looked like?