IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

On 9/15/2021 at 4:09 PM, 3rdStrongestMole said:

I was expecting this one to go for a lot more than it did.  Pleased that it didn't. 🙂

Edited by wyansas
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Possibly?  I think the PRG/CHR chips only had one print run so they always seem to have the same numbers.  IIRC the 3 screw Stingers had the same chip dates as the 5s.

Excuse me...but...wat!? There's board photos out there!?!?!?! All I have is this:

1875396539_stinger(2).jpg.b4eff96333778256fe7066fc12baf194.jpg

Stinger.jpg.9bfa50afaf648b1051cbfe73e0f65318.jpg

stinger.png.fa53de6ed2f9d8fcda4e07c9723287e0.png

877542559_stinger(1).JPG.917237543b7a7159c9165dd3fb0b151f.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Excuse me...but...wat!? There's board photos out there!?!?!?! All I have is this:

1875396539_stinger(2).jpg.b4eff96333778256fe7066fc12baf194.jpg

Stinger.jpg.9bfa50afaf648b1051cbfe73e0f65318.jpg

stinger.png.fa53de6ed2f9d8fcda4e07c9723287e0.png

877542559_stinger(1).JPG.917237543b7a7159c9165dd3fb0b151f.JPG

Im FAIRY certain, like 99% sure I asked them from NES Gangsta.  I think unfortunately they were lost in time on the NA forums, or in an email I dont have anymore.  But whatever it is, my instinct was certain that it was never reprinted.  I mean, its also entirely possible all the chips were produced at one time, and it took a couple of months to put them together, and only the very tail end got switched to 3?

2 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Im FAIRY certain, like 99% sure I asked them from NES Gangsta.  I think unfortunately they were lost in time on the NA forums, or in an email I dont have anymore.  But whatever it is, my instinct was certain that it was never reprinted.  I mean, its also entirely possible all the chips were produced at one time, and it took a couple of months to put them together, and only the very tail end got switched to 3?

Stinger is a September 1987 release. The box, manual, and labels were almost definitely all printed in Mid-August '87.

For a REV-A box to exist then it would have had to been printed at the EARLIEST in November 1987. However, that doesn't line up with any other games released by Konami for the time. There's only *one* window of time that makes sense for it to have been reprinted as a 3-screw *with* a REV-A box.

Contra released in the USA in February 1988. The box, manual, and label were printed about 3 to 4 weeks prior to this. Any print date before this would result in a 3-Screw with a "No-HT / No REV-A" box (See Mega Man 1)

There *may* have been some chips laying around at Nintendo HQ, But then again this was considered high tech back then and I doubt they would want there to be inventory laying around like that. But the box must have been reprinted in the final days of November 1987 at the absolute earliest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Stinger is a September 1987 release. The box, manual, and labels were almost definitely all printed in Mid-August '87.

For a REV-A box to exist then it would have had to been printed at the EARLIEST in November 1987. However, that doesn't line up with any other games released by Konami for the time. There's only *one* window of time that makes sense for it to have been reprinted as a 3-screw *with* a REV-A box.

Contra released in the USA in February 1988. The box, manual, and label were printed about 3 to 4 weeks prior to this. Any print date before this would result in a 3-Screw with a "No-HT / No REV-A" box (See Mega Man 1)

There *may* have been some chips laying around at Nintendo HQ, But then again this was considered high tech back then and I doubt they would want there to be inventory laying around like that. But the box must have been reprinted in the final days of November 1987 at the absolute earliest.

Doesn't someone here have a 3 screw Stinger they can open up?  If it was reprinted, we should have seen more than just 3 copies.  Id imagine they'd have the same kind of rarity as the 3 screw late 87 black box reprints (even if it was on Nintendos dime)

I also wanted to add, using my memory, when I asked for the date codes, I cross referenced it with bootgod.  They don't have a 3 screw Stinger in their database now, but I want to say it was the same chip date, as I don't own the game.  Whats the possibility they're all refurbs and maybe that box got sent back with the cart, got damaged some how and Nintendo had to reprint a new box?  Spit balling here.  

http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=722

EDIT: I wanted to edit this for confirmation.  I had an old file I created in 2017 with the dates i've found on all the 3 v 5 screw variants and indeed listed that the 3 screw Stingers had a date code the same as the 5s.  8734.

Edited by guitarzombie

10 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Doesn't someone here have a 3 screw Stinger they can open up?  If it was reprinted, we should have seen more than just 3 copies.  Id imagine they'd have the same kind of rarity as the 3 screw late 87 black box reprints (even if it was on Nintendos dime)

@Ferris Bueller Dont you have a 3 screw Stinger? Or am I mistaken?

12 minutes ago, Ferris Bueller said:

I do, came with a box. @guitarzombie Pretty sure I'm one of those three. It was mine and then someone else had two copies they found like one after another. Sound right?

You had one, then NESGangsta had one, and then I put my cart only up on auction on NA and NESGangsta bought it so he has two.

The member I sold the Cart/box to (2013/14?) in the picture still has it and is an active VGS member - they might be chiming in on this thread soon.

Beyond those 4 copies I have only seen one other - one with a badly ripped label in a lot on Ebay 6 or 7 years ago.

• Wow! 1

I thought the Gansta had all 3, and then sold them.  Its possible he only had two and thats what I saw.  I was on this hunt a while ago, which is why I asked him for info.  If it had a different date code, I would have known it was another print and there should be more.  Since they didnt, I chalked it up to something unique and not 'official', IE like the 3 screw DKJr Math or the MM6 Capcom label.

I have no idea what the deal is with the box, but my instinct tells me even after so long, and so many games, if there are so few of something, that it has to be some unique thing that wasn't normally manufactured.  For example comparing the 5 screw Star Forces to a 5 Screw RC Pro Am

• Like 2

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

I thought the Gansta had all 3, and then sold them.  Its possible he only had two and thats what I saw.  I was on this hunt a while ago, which is why I asked him for info.  If it had a different date code, I would have known it was another print and there should be more.  Since they didnt, I chalked it up to something unique and not 'official', IE like the 3 screw DKJr Math or the MM6 Capcom label.

I have no idea what the deal is with the box, but my instinct tells me even after so long, and so many games, if there are so few of something, that it has to be some unique thing that wasn't normally manufactured.  For example comparing the 5 screw Star Forces to a 5 Screw RC Pro Am

Okay, yeah,  so I completely forgot there was a rev-a box. How are there so few of these!? Lol... seriously, though... where the hell are they? A one-off cart is one thing,  but a new box print seems like a more time intensive investment by the manufacturer.

1 hour ago, DK said:

I also just noticed that @Ferris Bueller says his came with a box. Is it Rev-A? Two boxes would certainly cement this as legit and we could also check out the tab for the date code.

I posted a photo of the box above.

It was also likely not printed when they added date codes to boxes and manuals, so there's no chance there's a date code. Only the chips on the cartridge will have date codes.

1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

I posted a photo of the box above.

It was also likely not printed when they added date codes to boxes and manuals, so there's no chance there's a date code. Only the chips on the cartridge will have date codes.

Darn - well, it would at least be nice to see a 2nd confirmed Rev-A box.

I bought this one when the winner of this BIN flipped it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stinger-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-NES-Cart-Only-/265318298484?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Here's my pic of the board.

20211009_023320.jpg.81cb209a301aa1b828190220ac2191b3.jpg

Same dates as the 5 screw, but I am baffled by the security screws and 00 code on the back.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

3 hours ago, wyansas said:

I bought this one when the winner of this BIN flipped it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stinger-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-NES-Cart-Only-/265318298484?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Here's my pic of the board.

20211009_023320.jpg.81cb209a301aa1b828190220ac2191b3.jpg

Same dates as the 5 screw, but I am baffled by the security screws and 00 code on the back.

Fat OO, or Skinny 00?

Also. Uhm, wtf. Congrats.

Big clue on that 3 screw Stinger.  Perhaps I was right about the chips and its production.  The CIC chips date is 8747, and the 8k CHR RAM chip 8746.  Both early Nov 87.

FWIW my 5 screw Tyson also has that slim back label (no upper left hand crease or little lable lift a lot of games have, from the number press presumably) but has no number.