IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

49 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Just picked up an auction for 5 screw Castlevania. It was not described as a 5 screw in the listing, but I did have a little competition. Still got it cheaper than the ones that are described as 5 screw tho.

Probably one of the cleanest looking copies I’ve ever seen

I just picked one up too!

i needed the 5 screw but with the smaller castelvania on the end of the label.  

19 hours ago, NESCollector15 said:

Got this today as it has printing error on the seal, I also got yesterday the backwards seal.

4395BB7C-6DD5-4630-B7F0-5E1E7CB3EEF3.jpeg

Interesting. I have a sealed copy of Ivy the Kiwi for DS. All of the printing looks like it got double printed.

I always wondered if it was a counterfeit or a printing error. When I bought it, Ivy the Kiwi was still a cheap and obscure game, so I always leaned more towards printing error

On 8/15/2021 at 9:44 PM, phart010 said:

Pro-tip: view the ended auction on your phone. Then “Request Desktop Website” or “view in Desktop Mode”

On iPhone, you can do this easily by clicking on the “AA” to the left of the URL. Now eBay takes you back to the main page in desktop mode. Find the auction under your “Recently viewed” items.

while you are looking at the auction photos in desktop mode, the photos are in much higher resolution 

What's the difference in desktop mode and phone mode? They should both be the same website.

1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

Literally a Top 20 variant in terms of sheer rarity.

Congrats on finding it. Glad I told you about it 🙂

Does the fact that the cart exists with an oval seal also mean there is a box to match?

If so, then this is part of an "unconfirmed" variant on the Wata black box chart: 

image.png.0cfe6e6d65502517cb3752ec1d03913e.png

Nice find!

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, phart010 said:

For some reason the photos on listings are displayed with higher resolution if you are viewing in desktop mode

Not "for some reason". For a good reason. 

Images are technically heavy, bandwidth wise. Loading a smaller image on mobile is the status quo on the web, and rightly so for load time, accessibility, etc.. 

2 hours ago, DK said:

Does the fact that the cart exists with an oval seal also mean there is a box to match?

If so, then this is part of an "unconfirmed" variant on the Wata black box chart: 

image.png.0cfe6e6d65502517cb3752ec1d03913e.png

Nice find!

No, not necessarily. There are plenty of Non-matching parts throughout the NES library.

Here's my current SoQ understanding of the Black Boxes.

Title Circle Oval™ Oval®
10-Yard Fight CIB    
Balloon Fight CIB C  
Baseball CIB    
Clu Clu Land CIB    
Donkey Kong CIB    
Donkey Kong 3 CIB C  
Donkey Kong Jr. CIB    
Donkey Kong Jr. Math CIB    
Duck Hunt CIB C  
Excitebike CIB CIB  
Golf CIB CIB CIB
Gumshoe CIB    
Gyromite CIB    
Hogan's Alley CIB CIB  
Ice Climber CIB C  
Kung Fu CIB CIB CIB
Mach Rider CIB C  
Mario Bros. CIB C  
Pinball CIB CIB  
Popeye CIB C  
Pro Wrestling CIB    
Slalom CIB CIB  
Soccer CIB    
Stack-Up CIB    
Super Mario Bros CIB CIB CIB
Tennis CIB    
Urban Champion CIB C  
Volleyball CIB    
Wild Gunman CIB C  
Wrecking Crew CIB C  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, phart010 said:

For some reason the photos on listings are displayed with higher resolution if you are viewing in desktop mode

No, I'm seriously asking what that even means. How would it load a different site because you're using a phone? That doesn't make any sense, I've been a web developer across four decades and I've never heard of this. So it somehow detects the phone and then loads different code or something? Why?

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

No, I'm seriously asking what that even means. How would it load a different site because you're using a phone? That doesn't make any sense, I've been a web developer across four decades and I've never heard of this. So it somehow detects the phone and then loads different code or something? Why?

Yes. I believe you can load different HTML/CSS based on the user agent string coming from the browser. It's how you design a responsive UI so that the same website loads differently in a way that's optimized to the screen size and type of device. Pretty much every website does this now.

12 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

No, not necessarily. There are plenty of Non-matching parts throughout the NES library.

Here's my current SoQ understanding of the Black Boxes.

Title Circle Oval™ Oval®
10-Yard Fight CIB    
Balloon Fight CIB C  
Baseball CIB    
Clu Clu Land CIB    
Donkey Kong CIB    
Donkey Kong 3 CIB C  
Donkey Kong Jr. CIB    
Donkey Kong Jr. Math CIB    
Duck Hunt CIB C  
Excitebike CIB CIB  
Golf CIB CIB CIB
Gumshoe CIB    
Gyromite CIB    
Hogan's Alley CIB CIB  
Ice Climber CIB C  
Kung Fu CIB CIB CIB
Mach Rider CIB C  
Mario Bros. CIB C  
Pinball CIB CIB  
Popeye CIB C  
Pro Wrestling CIB    
Slalom CIB CIB  
Soccer CIB    
Stack-Up CIB    
Super Mario Bros CIB CIB CIB
Tennis CIB    
Urban Champion CIB C  
Volleyball CIB    
Wild Gunman CIB C  
Wrecking Crew CIB C  

I had no idea this was rare. Love learning new info on variants, and always get stoked when I see this thread bumped 😃

23 hours ago, bowser said:

Yes. I believe you can load different HTML/CSS based on the user agent string coming from the browser. It's how you design a responsive UI so that the same website loads differently in a way that's optimized to the screen size and type of device. Pretty much every website does this now.

Zero websites I'm aware of do this, that's why Bootstrap exists. It loads the exact same site, it just rearranges slightly based on the screen size. It doesn't load entirely different data.

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Zero websites I'm aware of do this, that's why Bootstrap exists. It loads the exact same site, it just rearranges slightly based on the screen size. It doesn't load entirely different data.

There are sites still made which will detect and redirect you to, for example, m.website.com. A subdomain dedicated solely to a mobile display. It's a very oldschool way of handling it.