IGNORED

VGS rare variant/error thread Nintendo edition

Hybrid

1 hour ago, 3rdStrongestMole said:

Has anyone else seen copies of Soccer floating around out there that have 3 screw back labels with 5 screw front? I realize this would be easy to do, but I've seen 2 today,  and that seems odd. And it's not like the sellers are advertising them  as 3 screws, and I've never seen other mismatched back swap carts (at least two of the same title in close proximity). Thoughts?

I think you are mixing up photos. It would be impossible to match a 3 and five screw cartridges together. 

15 minutes ago, Funky_brewsta said:

I think you are mixing up photos. It would be impossible to match a 3 and five screw cartridges together. 

I'm not mixing up photos.  These are Mercari and Mercado Livre listings. But I guess 2 people could've taken pics of different backs. Not sure why they'd do that... also. I'm not at home so I can't check,  but it seems like it would be possible to wedge a 3 screw back on a 5 front.  Am I wrong about this?

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-1782837415-cartucho-nintendo-8-bits-nintendinho-futebol-soccer-_JM#position=20&search_layout=stack&type=item&tracking_id=cce29173-2fed-4bdc-9059-c17930334641

Edited by 3rdStrongestMole
  • Confused 1

I'm not mixing up photos.  These are Mercari and Mercado Livre listings. But I guess 2 people could've taken pics of different backs. Not sure why they'd do that... also. I'm not at home so I can't check,  but it seems like it would be possible to wedge a 3 screw back on a 5 front.  Am I wrong about this?

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-1782837415-cartucho-nintendo-8-bits-nintendinho-futebol-soccer-_JM#position=20&search_layout=stack&type=item&tracking_id=cce29173-2fed-4bdc-9059-c17930334641

The pics are of two different games. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Funky_brewsta said:

The pics are of two different games. 

I think you're right on this one. He had a 3 screw listed and the back of that one is 5, so swapped pics. Just thought it was weird to see 2 within an hour of each other. Crazy coincidence

Edited by 3rdStrongestMole

Does it exist? Probably not...

Will I still scroll through online sales listings looking for one about once a week? Absolutely... 😂

Well thats fine.  Ive said it plenty of times in the past, all the rare 3 screw Black Box games were the ones reprinted for late 87.  From what I remember its Volleyball, Gyromite, Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr.  DKJR math 3 screws are refurbs.

• Like 1

Apparently you guys are getting a lot better at finding Tecmo N7s.  I found one in a lot on eBay and offered to buy the whole lot for a good price, and the seller responded that he'd had several people ask about Tecmo NBA.  He cancelled the lot and has relisted the Tecmo NBA N7.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265158979869

Here's the original lot it was in: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265157015173

Edited by wyansas
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

@wyansas This is the first time in a couple years or maybe ever that one is listed as a N7 variant on eBay. Pretty excited to see where it ends value wise. The Gretzky -3 has been selling for crazy money and this is way harder to find. Looking forward to seeing how many people actually care.

Edited by Funky_brewsta
  • Like 1

Collection update.👾

I have for trade toward something I don't have yet:

• 1 x Jaws
  • 1 x Gyromite
  • 1 x TMNT
  • 1 x TMNT II
  • 1 x Ski or Die
  • 1 x Silent Service
  • Panic Restaurant + manual (Water damage. Wavy and some colors bleed, but no tears and all the pages open.)

TRADE ONLY.  Boner killer, I know, sorry.  

And I'm not trading either MTPO.

20210517_231116.jpg20210612_164403.jpg.89fb0aa0b32df3459959ad7212d3ffcd.jpg

Edited by wyansas
  • Like 2
  • Wow! 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 2:33 AM, wyansas said:

Collection update.👾

• 1 x Jaws
  • 1 x Gyromite
  • 1 x TMNT
  • 1 x TMNT II
  • 1 x Ski or Die
  • 1 x Silent Service
  • Panic Restaurant + manual (Water damage. Wavy and some colors bleed, but no tears and all the pages open.)

20210517_231116.jpg

Do you have a 3 screw Volleyball?

• 1 month later...
On 5/18/2021 at 2:33 AM, wyansas said:

Collection update.👾

• 1 x Jaws
  • 1 x Gyromite
  • 1 x TMNT
  • 1 x TMNT II
  • 1 x Ski or Die
  • 1 x Silent Service

20210517_231116.jpg20210612_164403.jpg.89fb0aa0b32df3459959ad7212d3ffcd.jpg

Has anyone heard of a 5 screw MTPO board in a 3 screw MTPO cart?

Edited by NESCollector15

I saw a 5 screw Gotcha with an 88 date.  Makes me think, maybe it's possible they put the shells together but then ran out of chips and needed to wait for a new batch?  Just throwing an idea out there, I think there was a chip shortage at the time.  Not that it was fake, but I have seen some legit 5s have a later print date than they should have.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 10:05 PM, guitarzombie said:

I saw a 5 screw Gotcha with an 88 date.  Makes me think, maybe it's possible they put the shells together but then ran out of chips and needed to wait for a new batch?  

When Nintendo fab facilities switch from the 3 screw to 5 screw clamshell design they had left over 5 screw stock. The the machines that assemble them literally have to be refitted they could not use the 5 screw in the machines anymore. So they moved all remaining 5 screw clamshell stock to the repair department.

Back then you could pay Nintendo to replace a broken clamshell (or they would replace them for free from broken sealed stock and etc...) and often they would switch these on damaged or broken clamshells on games that came in for board repair/defects.  When they did this, they had the 5 screw clamshells available. And because of this sometimes you see a 5 screw cart with the star shaped security screws in it.

So when you see this, if you don't suspect forgery or board swapping, then it was likely sent to a repair facility.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 10:03 PM, Goodvibes said:

Thank you for the picture, I’m just trying to see why I have a 3 screw with the same dates or earlier on some chips. Seems pretty weird to me, what do you guys think?

This is due to bulk purchases. These chips are universal across any title for NES.  Very rarely they would use an updated chip (had more functions but still compatible).

They would buy these chips by the truckload. When they assembled a board they would just use what chips they had.  If 86 chips are left over, those go on the board.

The only time this becomes a problem is when the chip date is later than the game fabrication dates, which means it was a counterfeit chip placed on an NES board, (Very rarely this happens because this takes expertise and effort and startup money for a PRG chip programmer. Most of the time when a forgery is made it uses and entirely different board because of the cost effectiveness of newer technology chips versus finding old stock compatible chips with lower demand) 

In micro chips more demand equals lower costs because they can be fabricated in bulk.