IGNORED

The GOLDEN GANONS 2023 nomination thread 1 - Best community contributions!!!

OptOut

2049442319_logoawards.png.c42e3f4e71436f4e742f95477239f6c7.png

Hello you beautiful people you, and welcome to the first nominations thread for the Golden Ganons 2023! This thread is intended to gather nominations and promote discussion for the following three awards:

1. Best VGS Community Contest, Game, Challenge and/or Competition

2. Best Individual Artistic contribution to the site (Video/Audio/Visual etc.)

3. VGS's Best Friend Award - The Most Friendly, Helpful and/or Generous Buddy on VGS!

Please feel free to reply to this thread with your nominations in each of these categories, and discuss the options here with your fellow community members! All content of VGS from the beginning of the site are valid for nominations this year, as this is the inaugural year of the awards, so feel free to nominate whatever you feel is relevant to the above categories!

Also, remember that while debate, discussion and promotion of favoured entries is encouraged, PLEASE try to keep the tone friendly and magnanimous! I don't want to have to break up any drunken bar-fights in here! 😉

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, OptOut said:

Yeah, for that one you may as well list your top 5 favourite @CasualCart posts of the year! 🤣

Yeah, I was thinking maybe we could have separate categories for visual (still image/gif)/video/audio, just so CC doesn't absolutely sweep the whole thing every year, haha

#1 The NES Weekly Contest - I appreciate the events and contests I get to be a part of, but the organization and consistency is quite an undertaking for the weekly contests. Thanks @BeaIank and @guillavoie for hosting those weeks of competitions!

#2 @CasualCart - Sorry... everyone else.

#3 @JVOSS - I had to consider this one a bit more because there are a lot of generous people on VGS, in various ways, but for me, JVOSS is personally #1.  This guy has been generous with what info he's acquired for Game Boy games and boxes, plus trading with him or being in a box-swap over the years has revealed he's a really helpful and giving person.  Thanks man!  You're an awesome guy.

Edited by RH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Yeah, I was thinking maybe we could have separate categories for visual (still image/gif)/video/audio, just so CC doesn't absolutely sweep the whole thing every year, haha

Well, you can still fight over which PARTICULAR piece of Casual Cart's work deserves the top spot!

Who knows, perhaps we could split the Casual Cart vote 75 ways, and a sneaky little contribution from some OTHER MS paint champion could sneak the win... 😏

• Agree 1

#1  NES Weekly All The Way Baby!

#2  Another Vote For @CasualCart Thanks by the way for sending the Billy Lee Pic along with the Queen Eliza Pic.  She'll have someone to keep her company this way.  Still gotta put them in their proper distinguished frames...

#3  Too many favorites to choose from so I'll go with Hybrid and his Nintendo Variant thread for getting me here in the first place!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, OptOut said:

Well, you can still fight over which PARTICULAR piece of Casual Cart's work deserves the top spot!

Who knows, perhaps we could split the Casual Cart vote 75 ways, and a sneaky little contribution from some OTHER MS paint champion could sneak the win... 😏

I particularly enjoy your work with everyone’s favorite dentist.

• Thanks 1

First of all, lots of great events and folks here at VGS.  

I'll give a shoutout to:

#1 - 31-Day Video Game Music Challenges by AverageOliver98 - Awesomely hosted and fun events, and the imaginative and detailed banner/comic he made for each day were epic.

#2 - How about JamesRobot and his Videomation skillz.    And of course, Casual Cart is super talented and always a treat to see his fun and impressive art around here!  OptOut brings the heat in the MS-Paint category haha.

#3 - Too many! ...

Edited by nesmaster14
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1- I don’t participate in them but the nes weekly challenge looks like a lot of work and it can’t be easy dealing with some competitors 😆 so my vote goes to the people who run that.

2- @CasualCart is the obvious choice but I’m going to vote @DefaultGen for his brilliant Werewolf videos. 

3- @OptOut because he helped add to my Japanese N64 collection and he’s just a funny and nice guy 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1

I'll throw my nominations in as well!

1. I'm gonna throw it out to the Werewolf group, we've had TONS of great games recently, and I'd say 2021 and 2022 were both bumper years for great games! Specifically, I would say my favourite game of Werewolf recently was the Among Us game hosted by @G-type, so that's where my nomination is going!

2. I mean it does have to be @CasualCart, although picking one standout piece is always difficult! I think I'll go with this one 😄

On 12/5/2022 at 1:19 AM, CasualCart said:

image.jpeg.34f4645a778eeeda0584e52bf5f93262.jpeg

3. I don't think I could give the best friend award to anyone else, he just does so much for so many and VGS wouldn't be the same without him: @Jeevan 😍

• Love 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Link?

I had to watch it again so found it for you: 

Here are some more defaultgen gems. Maybe you had to be there but god damn they had me in stitches:

After defaultgen was nearly voted out day 1 (he was town)- 

When Rhap and JVOSS claimed mason but we didn’t believe JVOSS lol. 

When everyone was convinced in voting out RH but with like an hour left people flipped to ZF. Both were town in the end haha.

• Love 3
  • Haha 2

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Brickman said:

I had to watch it again so found it for you: 

Here are some more defaultgen gems. Maybe you had to be there but god damn they had me in stitches:

After defaultgen was nearly voted out day 1 (he was town)- 

When everyone was convinced in voting out RH but with like an hour left people flipped to ZF. Both were town in the end haha.

All pure absolute gold. I'll never tire of @DefaultGen humour. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Social Team · Posted

After much debate I'll have to make my vote as such....

1. Best VGS Community Contest, Game, Challenge and/or Competition

Spoiler

Werewolf 9: The Thing

This completely turn the game mechanics upside down and was an absolute nail bitter of a game.  This really breathed a new life into a game that I know I can 💯 win if only town would listen too me.  It was nice to feel like a normal werewolf player in not knowing what to do and who is scum.  Still waiting on my award for best or greatest werewolf player ever.

stephen-colbert-colbert-report-gif.gif

2. Best Individual Artistic contribution to the site (Video/Audio/Visual etc.)

Spoiler

Originally I was going to say @CasualCart but thankfully some people above reminded me of the most amazing talent that is @DefaultGen werewolf videos.  The spouse reacting to him playing a new game of werewolf could of been a hidden camera in my house.  He truly gets the real spirit of werewolf.

RapidAgedGalago-size_restricted.gif

3. VGS's Best Friend Award - The Most Friendly, Helpful and/or Generous Buddy on VGS!

Spoiler

@CasualCartis the best at all three categories of most friendly, most helpful, and most generous buddy on VGS.  This man is such a saint he couldn't bare to vote for killing off a person in werewolf.  Couldn't tell a lie so he claimed being a werewolf on Day 1.  He's always helping out the VGS site with his talented drawings that really make VGS reflect the beauty that is the community.  Specifically he makes multiple drawings to help out the VGS Twitter account. 

THAT'S RIGHT!!!  You people have been missing out on @CasualCart awesomeness that is ONLY found on the VGS Twitter account.  Go follow the account now so you don't miss future awesomeness!! https://twitter.com/VideoGameSage

And lastly he's generous with sharing his talent.  Doing the un-expected drawings that nail the vibes of a tread and put a smile of your face when you see them.  

namaste-stephen-colbert-praying-hands-bo

And any of you have issues with my pick then I got one thing to say to you....

Spoiler

giphy.gif

1cjs.gif

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Brickman said:

Dude.  That's like the round @doner24 and I were masons.  But then town decided near the end that the logical conclusion was that it was theoretically possible for me to be a double reverse secret non-Mason, and killed me.  Epic fail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Dude.  That's like the round @doner24 and I were masons.  But then town decided near the end that the logical conclusion was that it was theoretically possible for me to be a double reverse secret non-Mason, and killed me.  Epic fail.

In our defence, I think I remember JVOSS came out with some crazy claims day 1 so we were a little confused haha. Was a great game.

I’ve re watched that ZF video like five times since I posted it 🤣

“zeldafreak posted two hours ago. Firstly some quick thoughts…” it literally went for about half the page lmao. 

Moderator · Posted
2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I only pursued it because of your bad taste in music 😂 

Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Brickman said:

I’ve re watched that ZF video like five times since I posted it 🤣

“zeldafreak posted two hours ago. Firstly some quick thoughts…” it literally went for about half the page lmao. 

Well it's a good thing we've got another game of WW coming up, so I can continue being the butt of everyone's jokes, eh?

Also, c'mon, it went for like MAAAYBE a quarter of the page, it was a teeny tiny little post! Let's leave hyperbole out of this, hahaha

• Haha 2

Graphics Team · Posted

1 ) Best VGS Community Contest, Game, Challenge and/or Competition

As much as I admire all the work that goes into @BeaIank and @guillavoie's Weekly NES Contests, I had the most fun with @Gloves's original VGS BINGO Event.

2 ) Best Individual Artistic contribution to the site (Video/Audio/Visual etc.)

I appreciate all the suggestions for myself on this one, but I don't think my doodles can really compare to @JamesRobot's unbelievable Pumpkin Carvings. (Shoutout to @DefaultGen's amazing content, too. Both videos and podcasts, and even the original Sage sprite if I'm not mistaken.)

3 ) VGS's Best Friend Award - The Most Friendly, Helpful and/or Generous Buddy on VGS!

VGS has way too many amazing members, but I've gotta go with @spacepup as the most positive, altruistic, and all-around great person to interact with any day of the week.

-CasualCart

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1