IGNORED

Elon and Twitter

MrWunderful

Anything that makes Twitter worse is good for society. Especially since these platform’s entire goal is to get you scrolling endlessly through ads or propaganda. If people were limited to 300 Tiktoks, so much less human life would be wasted.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Anything that makes Twitter worse is good for society. Especially since these platform’s entire goal is to get you scrolling endlessly through ads or propaganda. If people were limited to 300 Tiktoks, so much less human life would be wasted.

I understand your POV but before EM took over it was probably the biggest forum for discussing things like pursuing a better workplace, unionizing, organizing, etc. That is very specifically the entire reason the dude bought it, in order to kneecap any sort of widespread discussion that betters the lives of vermin commoners like us.

The ads and propaganda came in droves after the dude bought it out.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Strange said:

I understand your POV but before EM took over it was probably the biggest forum for discussing things like pursuing a better workplace, unionizing, organizing, etc. That is very specifically the entire reason the dude bought it, in order to kneecap any sort of widespread discussion that betters the lives of vermin commoners like us.

The ads and propaganda came in droves after the dude bought it out.

In the long term people need to move away from platforms that billionaires use to control public discourse. The enshittification of Twitter is happening over months and years. People need to see the writing on the wall for what it is and will be. I dunno what the alternative is, but hoping the Company Store stocks signs for the picket line isn’t sustainable.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

In the long term people need to move away from platforms that billionaires use to control public discourse. The enshittification of Twitter is happening over months and years. People need to see the writing on the wall for what it is and will be. I dunno what the alternative is, but hoping the Company Store stocks signs for the picket line isn’t sustainable.

Totally agree with you there. Corporate social media sucks ass, I just wish communication and assembly wasn’t being restricted faster than we can find an alternative.

5 hours ago, Strange said:

This walking failure at life...

Ummm, wtf?  If going from almost nothing to being one of the richest and most influential men on the planet makes him a "failure at life," what does that make you?  Seriously, you can hate the guy all you want for his beliefs or agendas or whatever, but to call someone with his accomplishments a "failure at life" is beyond ridiculous.

(You do realize he hates twitter, right?  Or is that part flying way over your head... 🤔 )

• Agree 2

Administrator · Posted

I think it depends how you define success or failure.  I wouldn’t describe succeeding at life as meaning getting rich and powerful, especially depending on how it is used.

I won’t deny the man’s accomplishments and financial success, but let’s just say I wouldn’t trade places with him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Ummm, wtf?  If going from almost nothing to being one of the richest and most influential men on the planet makes him a "failure at life," what does that make you?  Seriously, you can hate the guy all you want for his beliefs or agendas or whatever, but to call someone with his accomplishments a "failure at life" is beyond ridiculous.

(You do realize he hates twitter, right?  Or is that part flying way over your head... 🤔 )

Saying that he started with almost nothing is a fundamental misunderstanding of him and his background lmao.

I was critical of this dude waaay before it was clear what his politics were. The one smart thing I’ll give him though is that by announcing them he’s successfully deflected all criticism by crying about it being because of his politics.

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

what does that make you? 

A guy who isn’t hated by all of his kids and exes or self conscious about what people on Twitter think of him.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Strange said:

Saying that he started with almost nothing is a fundamental misunderstanding of him and his background lmao.

Please enlighten me.  I checked Wikipedia and, while it said he was from a "wealthy family" it doesn't mention him inheriting millions or anything like that.  It says he got a couple of degrees before dropping out of Stanford to "join the internet boom" and starting a business with his brother and some other dude with a 28k gift from his father.  So yeah, that is technically free money to start with, but how you can discount his ability to turn 28k into BILLIONS is beyond me.  So, as I said, please enlighten me, because even the Forbes list of richest men designates his wealth as "self made."

🤷‍♂️

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

So, as I said, please enlighten me, because even the Forbes list of richest men designates his wealth as "self made."

It's quite easy man. If his wealth is considered to be self-made, it suggests that anyone can achieve such wealth via their life decisions and actions, rather than just obtaining it due to outside factors such as inheritance, class, race, etc. We wouldn't want that now, would we, that people can achieve things via hard work and attitude? It's better just to make excuses and justifications for poor behavior and to play the victim, whilst knocking down the achievements of others. Though I suspect I'm probably preaching to the choir here.

• Agree 2

Wow 7 pages of internet debate about a giant nerd who poises himself to be debated on the internet by nerds. 

Honestly though, they're getting ready for web 3.0 and they don't want it to be ran by AI that they don't own. All these surface websites are protecting the gate. Twitter is no exception. Twitter and reddit are unique in that they have actual useful information as opposed to fb and Instagram where it's mostly just about people's lives 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 1

I hope this entire Twitter saga has finally convinced people that Musk isn't a particularly smart human and he certainly isn't a uniquely talented business man. He's just another example of a right-place, right-time rich person who got extraordinarily lucky. You can't be a billionaire and a good person; it is impossible to make that much money without exploiting everyone and everything around you. Watching him blow a $44 billion investment has been extremely satisfying.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

I was thinking that blocking non-logged in people from viewing Twitters is actually going to be a great improvement for society.  What a plague it’s been where so many news articles have basically just become a collection of Twitter quotes.  Great journalism there.

At first I was pissed about not being able to read Twitter without an account, but you may have a point here.

I take it back, LinkedIn can stay because it’s a useful tool to find a job/career and grow a professional network (how useful that is for non-sales is debatable)

All that other crap has gotta go. Started out with good intentions but is now just disinformation propaganda and another way to pit Americans against each other when we should be working harder than ever to find common ground and work through our issues like adults. 

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

All that other crap has gotta go. Started out with good intentions but is now just disinformation propaganda and another way to pit Americans against each other when we should be working harder than ever to find common ground and work through our issues like adults. 

There are no adults - just grups....

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/2025cc2c-8128-46ad-b3f4-2fe7f797398d