IGNORED

Elon and Twitter

MrWunderful

Anyone else enjoying this shit show?

Here is an awesome timeline of events:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/elon-musks-twitter-timeline-how-to-piss-away-dollar44-billion

Of course I feel terrible for all the poor employees that he literally threw away like pieces of trash, Hopefully some other more deserving companies get quality talent and all those people seem to have a gigantic lawsuit available-let’s hope it works out for them. 

being the worst edgelord on twitter =\= running it single handedly.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

Having seen a lot of what's going on via a couple of folks I'm friends with on Facebook, I've been rolling my eyes pretty hard.  They're convinced that he's incompetent, while I'm convinced that he's got some sort of unstated personal vendetta against the company, and is actively raiding and destroying it from within.

He talks about how it needs to be saved, they need to save money, etc., but then he does stuff like banning all employees from working from home, automatically requiring money to be put into things like computers, desks, real estate, etc., which would cost the company more money, not save it any.  He immediately lays off a huge part of the staff and tells the rest that they're going to literally have to work 2-3x as much as they previously had during the week to take up the slack and save the now-definitely-sinking ship.  He deletes the vetted verification marks from everyone who had one, but opens the doors up to anyone who wants one by paying him (Twitter) $8/mo for the privilege, unsurprisingly causing hundreds, if not thousands of trolls to immediately surface and begin causing all sorts of confusion and havoc due to legitimate-appearing but totally false front-page-news type claims all over the platform.

And, as of what I saw yesterday afternoon, he's now apparently talking about how bankruptcy is a definite possibility in the company's future.  Seeing as prior to him screwing around with the stock price by pretending to buy it, then his current hostile takeover of the company, there weren't any rumblings of Twitter being totally broke and about to immediately flame out and crumble to dust, I would put forth that all of the platform's immediate issues stem from exactly one source--Musk himself.  The folks I chat with on Facebook are convinced that he's just been managing the company badly due to inexperience and not really understanding how it works, but given how his other two companies are arguably wildly successful and don't constantly hemorrhage people and cash, I honestly think it's the world's richest man playing some sort of petty game with Twitter on a level that virtually nobody else in the world would be able to.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Having seen a lot of what's going on via a couple of folks I'm friends with on Facebook, I've been rolling my eyes pretty hard.  They're convinced that he's incompetent, while I'm convinced that he's got some sort of unstated personal vendetta against the company, and is actively raiding and destroying it from within.

He talks about how it needs to be saved, they need to save money, etc., but then he does stuff like banning all employees from working from home, automatically requiring money to be put into things like computers, desks, real estate, etc., which would cost the company more money, not save it any.  He immediately lays off a huge part of the staff and tells the rest that they're going to literally have to work 2-3x as much as they previously had during the week to take up the slack and save the now-definitely-sinking ship.  He deletes the vetted verification marks from everyone who had one, but opens the doors up to anyone who wants one by paying him (Twitter) $8/mo for the privilege, unsurprisingly causing hundreds, if not thousands of trolls to immediately surface and begin causing all sorts of confusion and havoc due to legitimate-appearing but totally false front-page-news type claims all over the platform.

And, as of what I saw yesterday afternoon, he's now apparently talking about how bankruptcy is a definite possibility in the company's future.  Seeing as prior to him screwing around with the stock price by pretending to buy it, then his current hostile takeover of the company, there weren't any rumblings of Twitter being totally broke and about to immediately flame out and crumble to dust, I would put forth that all of the platform's immediate issues stem from exactly one source--Musk himself.  The folks I chat with on Facebook are convinced that he's just been managing the company badly due to inexperience and not really understanding how it works, but given how his other two companies are arguably wildly successful and don't constantly hemorrhage people and cash, I honestly think it's the world's richest man playing some sort of petty game with Twitter on a level that virtually nobody else in the world would be able to.

Nah, you give the dude WAY too much credit. He agreed to buy Twitter whilst on a MASSIVE ego trip, and after sobering up enough to realise what a HORRIBLE mistake he had made, he struggled desperately and ineffectually to get out of it.

After he realised there was no way out of the deal, he paid double what Twitter was worth and saddled the (already unprofitable) company with a BILLION DOLLAR PER YEAR debt to service.

He's fucked Twitter, sure, but no way on earth any of this was intended. He is no longer the richest man in the world, but he may hold a new record for the biggest self-inflicted L in history! 🤣

Edited by OptOut
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, OptOut said:

Nah, you give the dude WAY too much credit. He agreed to buy Twitter whilst on a MASSIVE ego trip, and after sobering up enough to realise what a HORRIBLE mistake he had made, he struggled desperately and ineffectually to get out of it.

After he realised there was no way out of the deal, he paid double what Twitter was work and saddled the (already unprofitable) company with a BILLION DOLLAR PER YEAR debt to service.

He's fucked Twitter, sure, but no way on earth any of this was intended. He is no longer the richest man in the world, but he may hold a new record for the biggest self-inflicted L in history! 🤣

So when he was forced to buy the company after he'd decided he didn't want to and backed out, you think it's beyond the realm of possibility that he's basically taking out his anger and frustration on the company that is the object of both?  In the past, he's always been confident that his companies (Tesla, Space X) would make up any short term losses and continue to become more valuable, so I don't know why a "quick" loss because of Twitter would somehow stifle this attitude, even if it might piss him off a great deal.

Personally, I think he's always been a petty bully, and that is shining out strong at the moment due to him being forced into a corner and to put his money where his mouth is.  He's not happy about it and, instead of looking at how the company he was forced to complete the purchase of runs from the inside, he's specifically and deliberately gone ahead and gutted out those things that the company considers most important, the loss of which would inflict serious damage onto the company and would be obvious to even an illiterate child upon explanation.  He's not a dumb guy, and yet made deliberate dumb moves.  Seeing as his ego has never before caused him to set money on fire, I think his obvious stupid actions are something more intentional, basically him quietly looting the company from the inside to recover whatever he can while at the same time making change he knows will destroy the it and publicly pretending he's doing all he can to save it, counting on people believing he's a stumbling, naive CEO versus a petty tyrant in order to preserve whatever "good guy" image he's got left.

(Also, according to Forbes' real-time billionaire list, Musk is still the world's richest person as of today.)

13 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

So when he was forced to buy the company after he'd decided he didn't want to and backed out, you think it's beyond the realm of possibility that he's basically taking out his anger and frustration on the company that is the object of both?  In the past, he's always been confident that his companies (Tesla, Space X) would make up any short term losses and continue to become more valuable, so I don't know why a "quick" loss because of Twitter would somehow stifle this attitude, even if it might piss him off a great deal.

Personally, I think he's always been a petty bully, and that is shining out strong at the moment due to him being forced into a corner and to put his money where his mouth is.  He's not happy about it and, instead of looking at how the company he was forced to complete the purchase of runs from the inside, he's specifically and deliberately gone ahead and gutted out those things that the company considers most important, the loss of which would inflict serious damage onto the company and would be obvious to even an illiterate child upon explanation.  He's not a dumb guy, and yet made deliberate dumb moves.  Seeing as his ego has never before caused him to set money on fire, I think his obvious stupid actions are something more intentional, basically him quietly looting the company from the inside to recover whatever he can while at the same time making change he knows will destroy the it and publicly pretending he's doing all he can to save it, counting on people believing he's a stumbling, naive CEO versus a petty tyrant in order to preserve whatever "good guy" image he's got left.

(Also, according to Forbes' real-time billionaire list, Musk is still the world's richest person as of today.)

He's throwing his toys out of the pram, plain and simple. This is a calculated move to destroy Twitter in the same way that a toddler calculates to destroy his/her dinner by chucking their plate on the floor!

He's hardly got the best track record as a cool headed, calculated business manager either... Remember when he had to step down as the CEO of Tesla after a bone-headed tweet about taking the company private, which ALSO cost him twenty million dollars in fines from the SEC.

If you think the man is a genius, or even especially talented as a businessman, you've drank his koolaid. He's a BRANDING genius, maybe, or at least he was... Personally I think he just fell for his own hype, and is spiralling out of control completely unchecked. 🤷‍♂️

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, OptOut said:

He's throwing his toys out of the pram, plain and simple. This is a calculated move to destroy Twitter in the same way that a toddler calculates to destroy his/her dinner by chucking their plate on the floor!

He's hardly got the best track record as a cool headed, calculated business manager either... Remember when he had to step down as the CEO of Tesla after a bone-headed tweet about taking the company private, which ALSO cost him twenty million dollars in fines from the SEC.

If you think the man is a genius, or even especially talented as a businessman, you've drank his koolaid. He's a BRANDING genius, maybe, or at least he was... Personally I think he just fell for his own hype, and is spiralling out of control completely unchecked. 🤷‍♂️

I didn't say I think he's a genius, I said he's not dumb.  And it wouldn't take a genius to know exactly what you'd have to do to Twitter to send it immediately circling the toilet.  Elon buying it was enough to send plenty of advertisers scattering, but the verification bit combined immediately with huge layoffs then forcing the company to pay more for having employees work in the office versus from home is just too much at once for me to believe that he's simply throwing a tantrum.  The stuff that he's done to the company so far would be obviously dumb decisions to anyone, regardless of whether they've run a business or not, and regardless of how one of them aligns with his personal preferences regarding remote working.  If you state that your company is hemorrhaging money to the point that bankruptcy is nigh, regardless of how you feel about remote working, you don't immediately abolish it and pay tons more to bring employees back into company offices unless you're specifically trying to burn through money (or the company).

• Like 1

Closing my Twitter account today. My fiance did two days ago. A source I trust said that Twitter is highly vulnerable right now to security risks etc. I have had twitter since May of 2012. I don't see any tweets I made before 2016, so I may have purged at one time. I also didn't use it at all from summer 2019- summer of 2021. I only tweeted a handful of times, I mostly used it to follow other accounts, which I can do on other platforms for most of them. Currently I only followed 75 accounts anyway so it's no loss for me. I'd rather close it than get hacked or something.

Elon is a chode.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I didn't say I think he's a genius, I said he's not dumb.  And it wouldn't take a genius to know exactly what you'd have to do to Twitter to send it immediately circling the toilet.  Elon buying it was enough to send plenty of advertisers scattering, but the verification bit combined immediately with huge layoffs then forcing the company to pay more for having employees work in the office versus from home is just too much at once for me to believe that he's simply throwing a tantrum.  The stuff that he's done to the company so far would be obviously dumb decisions to anyone, regardless of whether they've run a business or not, and regardless of how one of them aligns with his personal preferences regarding remote working.  If you state that your company is hemorrhaging money to the point that bankruptcy is nigh, regardless of how you feel about remote working, you don't immediately abolish it and pay tons more to bring employees back into company offices unless you're specifically trying to burn through money (or the company).

It's possible he is deliberately driving the company into bankruptcy in order to get out of the MOUNTAIN of debt he's buried himself under.

If so, he's probably committing hundreds of different financial and employment crimes in the process, so it will be interesting to see how he navigates that... My guess is its going to be VERY expensive, at the very least. 😬

• Like 2

Don’t be a fucking Nazi and don’t support fucking Nazis and you won’t have to worry about it now will you.  In the America I see all public restrooms will be replaced with piles of dead Nazis.   Should have started by lining Pennsylvania Avenue with the bloated, mangled, swinging corpses of anyone involved in any capacity with the 1/6 insurrection and their friends and family.  

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

4 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Don’t be a fucking Nazi and don’t support fucking Nazis and you won’t have to worry about it now will you.  In the America I see all public restrooms will be replaced with piles of dead Nazis.   Should have started by lining Pennsylvania Avenue with the bloated, mangled, swinging corpses of anyone involved in any capacity with the 1/6 insurrection and their friends and family.  

Seattle nazi one-punch knocked out, reportedly removed armband when he  awoke | Boing Boing

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

Can someone explain to me what Twitter's purpose is with some form of accuracy?

Facebook = creating events, groups and updating family while I'm living away

Instagram = posting images

Tik-Tok = posting videos

I've never understood Twitter, what are you supposed to do with it? If I pick up some cool games, I post them on Facebook and Instagram but can I post them on Twitter?