IGNORED

Elon and Twitter

MrWunderful

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Can someone explain to me what Twitter's purpose is with some form of accuracy?

I've never understood Twitter, what are you supposed to do with it? If I pick up some cool games, I post them on Facebook and Instagram but can I post them on Twitter?

It's mostly to convey a small amount of information to a wide following, and from there start a dialog of replies. If someone posts something you agree with, you can retweet it to your own followers, which allows things to go viral on that platform (similar to Facebook's share feature.)

Celebs use it a lot to promote things, or announce events, etc. It was sort of unique when Twitter got started, but somewhere along the way all of the social media platforms started blurring the lines, and now they're all kind of doing similar things. 

You can post game pickups on Twitter if you want, there's photo/video upload functions like the others, but if you already have a following on the other platforms, its sort of redundant. There might be pockets of people who'll follow you on Twitter that haven't followed you elsewhere, but it might not be worth the effort. Especially now since people are leaving Twitter in droves.

There are some programs like Hootsuite that allow you to manage all your social media from one dashboard and streamline posting things to save time.

Edited by Tulpa

2 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

That is one of the most refreshing things

>_> dude I'm a Romani (aka "gypsy") and I think no one deserves to get punched in the face just because they're wearing a swastika.

They're idiots, for sure...but last I checked, hitting a mentally retarded person unprovoked is a crime.

If someone like this can walk freely and be a middle school teacher...then surely the other end of the idiot spectrum can wear fake nazi armbands.

Screen-Shot-2022-09-21-at-1_16.17-AM.png.7b52e3c883fd778ef4f51468f5230de0.png

• Confused 1

Elon figured out press is press and exposure is good no matter what. More people are talking about Twitter than everything. I think he believes his team can turn it around.

Idk if he has technically ever failed any venture so his take that, I can fix anything and make it profitable, hasn't really ever been wrong. 

The question isnt if Twitter will be profitable or if it'll fail, it's what it will turn into. If it's on the path it was on it'll turn into the stale landscape that FB has become, or it can innovate and rival TikTok and YouTube where people actually enjoy consuming and creating content on.

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 1

Social Team · Posted
5 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Can someone explain to me what Twitter's purpose is with some form of accuracy?

Facebook = creating events, groups and updating family while I'm living away

Instagram = posting images

Tik-Tok = posting videos

I've never understood Twitter, what are you supposed to do with it? If I pick up some cool games, I post them on Facebook and Instagram but can I post them on Twitter?

Yes, Twitter has a photo upload feature like every other social media platform.  I'd say one of the more popular things people do on Twitter is actually sharing an uploaded image.

Over all I think Twitter is a means to more easily communicate with all kinds of people.  It's just a MASSIVE social platform with no little to no guardrails in reading/seeing what people are posting in a "public" way.  It much less an private thing which FB started off as.  I hate that FB doesn't really allow people to have a persona.  AKA I think this kind of shit is gold 

Spoiler

I hate FB but Twitter is alright by me.  In fact ::puts hand over @Glovesears:: I don't really use any social media accounts personally but if I do use one, it's always Twitter.  Note that I don't consider YouTube and Twitch as social media accounts.  Those are just means to consume video entertainment content.  In fact one could say that is true with Tic-Tok.  Well depending on what kind of videos you watch.

Social Team · Posted
23 minutes ago, phart010 said:

What’s Twitter? And who is this Musk guy y’all are talking about??

Some things are just not worth your time learning about if you don't natural come across it like "Flat Earth theory".  Life is better if you don't search things out that aren't worth your time.  

7 hours ago, ThePhleo said:

>_> dude I'm a Romani (aka "gypsy") and I think no one deserves to get punched in the face just because they're wearing a swastika.

They're idiots, for sure...but last I checked, hitting a mentally retarded person unprovoked is a crime.

To each their own. But I wouldn't give mentally retarded people a bad name by calling nazi's retarded.

As far as punching them being a crime well, there's lots of laws that should be overturned 🙂 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

Yes, Twitter has a photo upload feature like every other social media platform.  I'd say one of the more popular things people do on Twitter is actually sharing an uploaded image.

Over all I think Twitter is a means to more easily communicate with all kinds of people.  It's just a MASSIVE social platform with no little to no guardrails in reading/seeing what people are posting in a "public" way.  It much less an private thing which FB started off as.  I hate that FB doesn't really allow people to have a persona.  AKA I think this kind of shit is gold 

Hide contents

I hate FB but Twitter is alright by me.  In fact ::puts hand over @Glovesears:: I don't really use any social media accounts personally but if I do use one, it's always Twitter.  Note that I don't consider YouTube and Twitch as social media accounts.  Those are just means to consume video entertainment content.  In fact one could say that is true with Tic-Tok.  Well depending on what kind of videos you watch.

What am I looking at here? I don't understand what any of this means.

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

To each their own. But I wouldn't give mentally retarded people a bad name by calling nazi's retarded.

As far as punching them being a crime well, there's lots of laws that should be overturned 🙂 

That guy isn't a Nazi, he's just a dumbass edgelord. If he's a Nazi for cosplay then Prince Harry should be tied to an electric chair for being an actual political figure doing the exact same thing.

Nazi's killed ~500,000 of my people on top of the ~6,000,000 Jews. We gotta stop diluting what Nazi's actually are before we forget what they actual were.

• Agree 2

52 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

That guy isn't a Nazi, he's just a dumbass edgelord. If he's a Nazi for cosplay then Prince Harry should be tied to an electric chair for being an actual political figure doing the exact same thing.

Nazi's killed ~500,000 of my people on top of the ~6,000,000 Jews. We gotta stop diluting what Nazi's actually are before we forget what they actual were.

Whoa whoa whoa... Come on guys! We're better than this!  NO ONE here has forgotten who the real NAZIS are!

It's WATA. WATA are the NAZIS. 😏

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/11/2022 at 10:23 PM, ThePhleo said:

We gotta stop diluting what Nazi's actually are before we forget what they actual were.

While this is a salient point, there's also more shit going on than some people know about or care to acknowledge. There's a segment of the political spectrum right now that's dangerously close to being mainstream, who have no problem saying or agreeing that Hitler was right or arbeit macht frei, to point out two of many recent examples. I am 100% in favor of stamping that shit out by any means necessary, before it escalates to curbstomping Ns and Fs and sympathizers, or vehicular homicide of people speaking out against literal white supremacists. Not willing to let this shit fester until it turns into more genocide of people like you. The tactics and language might be more subtle in the modern age, except when they're not like on stormfront, where Dylann Roof found his validation and inspiration. We cannot tolerate intolerance. I know that's paradoxical to some people, but others who actually understand history and its motivations (ulterior or otherwise) rather than simply regurgitating accounts of physical campaigns, will be able to figure it out. Ethnic cleansing is perhaps unimaginable in these times, but no one should say vigilance is unwarranted. In the wake of overturning Roe v Wade we've already got, for a fourth example, serious danger to rights of interracial and homosexual marriage. I beg anyone who thinks the right wing works for individual freedoms or "small" government to seriously reconsider. Not to say Joseph Leo is on that, just a general statement. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Whilst not wanting to turn this into a political discussion only a very miniscule fragment of the right wing in this country are (or ever have been) Nazis (or some variant).   George Lincoln Rockwell and his ilk were never very popular in this country - whatever threat they posed/pose has always been diluted by the various fringe groups not being able to cooperate - in fact Rockwell was assassinated (no big loss IMHO) by an expelled party member.

If one can be bothered  to honestly read about the street confrontations in the Wiemar Republic the Communists were every bit as violent and posed much the same threat to that government/society (albeit in a different manner)  as the Nazis.  If the Communists had prevailed the results would likely have been very similar - one only has to read about the abuses that Stalin inflicted on the Soviet people during his reign to understand/see that.

Edited by Tabonga

7 hours ago, Link said:

am 100% in favor of stamping that shit out by any means necessary...

...We cannot tolerate intolerance.

I agree with everything you said just now, except these two points. Most people realize it's a paradox, but they only think it's a superficial moral paradox and not an actual paradox that manifests a counter assault.

Words like those will absolutely, definitely, directly lead to a civil war.

I've noticed that second line being pushed around the internet recently on more "left leaning" communities and it's only a matter of time before "right leaning" communities adopt it as well. After all, if the blue team wont tolerate the red team...then why should the red team tolerate the blue teams intolerance towards them?

And using any means necessary? That in and of itself is ironically, fascist ideology.

Now, going full circle to being back on topic, before Elon Musk bought out Twitter everyone was saying "It's a private company they can censor whoever they want" and "If they want a platform then build your own Twitter" but now that Elon Musk is in control the very same people are saying "Twitter is a threat to our democracy" and "Elon is charging for free speech"

So, what am I getting at here? Well, I think it's important to take a step back and realize that what you see on the news is highly sensationalized and I think we would do best to be neighborly with each other again and stop having any opinion on the current news topic.

For example, when the whole Roe v. Wade thing came up I was strong on the Pro-Life side...I still am, but I took a step back and realized that its a bit more complex. Yes, you're taking innocent human life, but also that's on the individual and the doctors conscious to do so. Yes, you can draw parallels to killing a person in a vegetative state, but also, families regularly pull the plug on their loved ones as a mercy...it's a complex issue with more than a left v. right facet.

That's just one example of how the news can take something as polarizing as that, and weaponize it to make you and me, internet nerd friends absolutely HATE each other. Because it'll make you a "satan worshiping baby killer" and it'll make me a "bigoted misogynist rapist"

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Link said:

The tactics and language might be more subtle in the modern age

I agree with the vast majority if what you're saying here, but this part sticks for me.  The thing is, they're not.  And you might immediately go hunt up film clips of Nazi speeches.  However, everything starts somewhere.  And so did the Nazis.  They didn't start out outright stating that there was only one true people, and so many other peoples needed to be put to the sword.  They began by putting the blame for the bad situation they found themselves in (as a result of WWI) onto the shoulders of other people who had little, if anything at all, to do with said condition.  And the more people that agreed with them, the bolder they got, and the more outrageous the claims they made, all of which kept compounding and building on one another until they got to the point where things were when war broke out.

57 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Words like those will absolutely, definitely, directly lead to a civil war.

That's just one example of how the news can take something as polarizing as that, and weaponize it to make you and me, internet nerd friends absolutely HATE each other. Because it'll make you a "satan worshiping baby killer" and it'll make me a "bigoted misogynist rapist"

You know what, I'm just going to outright say it.  I am totally fine with that.  100%, absolutely, completely on board.

Why?  Because any individual or group who is so unwilling to discuss (however passionately) the minutiae of any given issue with someone who holds an opinion different from theirs but instead wants to take up arms against those who don't think like they do absolutely, unequivocally, 100% deserve to have their asses handed to them over it.  If someone has their head so far up their ass that their only response to someone having a fundamental difference of opinion from them is to immediately invoke violence, they really deserve nothing but the same in return.

And yes, I do include people who immediately physically attack others who display despicable opinions such as racists, those who hold Nazi-esque values, etc.  I too think those people are wholly wrong in their thinking, but beating their brains in will do nothing to change their minds, and will just prove them right in regard to their BS statements about how they're always attacked for their "right" way of thinking.  The only way to overcome a bad idea is by a better one, and if people espousing the bad ideas are gaining more traction than folks representing the good ones, it says more bad things about the people who supposedly support what's right and just than it does about those who oppose it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2