IGNORED

Elon and Twitter

MrWunderful

57 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

I take it back, LinkedIn can stay because it’s a useful tool to find a job/career and grow a professional network (how useful that is for non-sales is debatable)

All that other crap has gotta go. Started out with good intentions but is now just disinformation propaganda and another way to pit Americans against each other when we should be working harder than ever to find common ground and work through our issues like adults. 

You might not have been there recently

https://youtu.be/IMfBS4mBfBQ

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

The feed shouldn't be the default view. 

I don’t really even look at the feed unless it’s people I actually know. I’m not saying LinkedIn is perfect but I’ve landed my last few jobs there. Ignoring the cringe there is pretty easy compared to the other junk sites which is all cringe and 0% useful. 

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

3 minutes ago, Link said:

IMG_0869.jpeg

I feel like the only thing I disagree with here is about AWS limiting Twitter because they are “out of contract”. There is no way they would keep from making the extra money Twitter would have to pay because they have no commitment. Maybe the other disagree point is about Twitter migrating off AWS, if there a a lot of AWS native services in use it would take at least a year to migrate that, probably more with the skeleton crew that is being used to run Twitter. Not to mention, moving to their own data centers would be so much more in upfront costs. 

Administrator · Posted

While there are many problems with social media, I can share a real-world practical example of where it can be helpful.  Yesterday, we had some really bad storms and then tornado warnings in my area.  I was watching the news - a meteorologist I really like and trust - and he mentioned a worrisome cloud forming literally on the large street where I live.  Then he went off the air because they lost power.  

I grabbed my dogs and went to the safest spot in my house, and tried to pull up the feed on my phone but the station was without power and their generator failed.  So then we checked facebook (from a notification on twitter) where the meteorologists improvised and started streaming from their phones on facebook live to continue sharing information and warnings for the state.

I know this is a limited example, but after the event was over (we are fine, just have no power for a couple days), I realized that it was a really great example of where social media can actually be a really helpful/useful tool to disseminating information quickly - in this case, potentially life-saving information.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

You have to take the good with the bad. I love the internet. I grew up when it became easy for the masses to gain access. I can't imagine my life without the internet, social media, etc. I'd be a different person. But there's so much harm that comes from it as well. Opinions about whether social media is good or bad or which platforms are better or worse are mostly useless, since it is here now, that's not changing, and there will always be good and bad things that happen as a result of it's existence. 

• Agree 2

Administrator · Posted

Oh yeah, of course.  I mean, there are lots of awful things it brings as well.  Spreading of misinformation / political manipulation, false advertising, scamming people, mental illness increases particularly in young people, addiction --- I mean, the list goes on.  My point is only that there are some good things it brings as well, so it isn't ALLLLLL bad, but you are right that it is here to stay regardless.  I think recognizing the dangers and helping people (especially young people) to understand and deal with them, is important.

On 7/3/2023 at 1:42 AM, CodysGameRoom said:

If you view success as being rich and powerful I feel sorry for you; you're gonna have a disappointing life. 

Everyone measures success differently; while I personally don't view success as being rich and powerful, I similarly don't measure success by the amount of children I'm raising, the car I'm driving, or even by being married. Everyone has their own thing,; to some it might be plastic squares, to others it might be in the form of being rich and powerful, who am I to judge? I just try to worry about what is going on in my own life, no time to worry about folks I don't even know.

8 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I just try to worry about what is going on in my own life, no time to worry about folks I don't even know.

That's not really true though. I've seen you post dozens of times on this very forum regarding things that folks you "don't even know" are doing. 

You say "who am I to judge" which is somewhat fair except also, you're allowed to have an opinion. Mine is simply that being rich doesn't mean you are successful. 

For example, I would bet money (and I'm not rich) that Elon Musk is fucking miserable most of the time. 

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

That's not really true though. I've seen you post dozens of times on this very forum regarding things that folks you "don't even know" are doing. 

You say "who am I to judge" which is somewhat fair except also, you're allowed to have an opinion. Mine is simply that being rich doesn't mean you are successful. 

For example, I would bet money (and I'm not rich) that Elon Musk is fucking miserable most of the time. 

I think those are all very fair points you make, Cody, and with the latter point about Elon Musk being fucking miserable most of the time, I'd also suspect that to be the case.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

You guys are definitely wrong on that account. People with money want you to THINK that having a fuck ton of money doesn't make you happy so you don't go trying to make a fuck ton of money. 

But the truth is it does. He's SO self-absorbed at this point he doesn't have to give a shit about anything at all but trying to sound smart, and it's "sounding smart" to him. Make a little 😏 face every time you say something and make it sound almost like a question and man you've got a stew cooking you smart little guy, you. He thinks everything he says or does is a slam dunk and he's surrounded by people who tell him it's so, he's literally living in another world with such freedom you can't even fathom. 

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

You guys are definitely wrong on that account. People with money want you to THINK that having a fuck ton of money doesn't make you happy so you don't go trying to make a fuck ton of money. 

But the truth is it does. He's SO self-absorbed at this point he doesn't have to give a shit about anything at all but trying to sound smart, and it's "sounding smart" to him. Make a little 😏 face every time you say something and make it sound almost like a question and man you've got a stew cooking you smart little guy, you. He thinks everything he says or does is a slam dunk and he's surrounded by people who tell him it's so, he's literally living in another world with such freedom you can't even fathom. 

I get your point but I would still bet money I'm right. In my life I've went from around the middle of lower class to the lower part of the middle class. I understand how much easier money makes things and how it can contribute to overall happiness.

I still think he's probably miserable most of the time. 

10 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I get your point but I would still bet money I'm right. In my life I've went from around the middle of lower class to the lower part of the middle class. I understand how much easier money makes things and how it can contribute to overall happiness.

I still think he's probably miserable most of the time. 

I think everybody's concerns revolve around themselves regardless of where they are in life.  So a homeless dude is worried about his next meal or where he's going to sleep that night, while a billionaire or head of state is worried about his reputation and how the rest of the world percieves him or whatever.  It's the same song, just with a higher or lower octave...

13 hours ago, Tulpa said:
13 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Post your location so I can make fun of you... 😉    Better yet, post a picture of yourself and I promise to make no less than fifteen full-fledged jokes about your face... 😛

Oh, my what tiny whiddle shallow-set eyes you got gwandma!  They go good with your widow's peak, lack of a brow ridge, flat cheek bones and tiny whiddle mouth.  What do you get when you try to turn a girl into a man?  That's right, you get a pretty-boy!  (rimshot!)  Hey, how many deckles does it take to replace a lightbulb?   No one really knows because you need one to nail it in place and as many more as you can get to stop guzzling syrup and clam juice to pick up the pieces and start over!

It's been over 24 hours and I was starting to think no one else was going to make any more jokes so, you know...  No offense, not to be taken too seriously.  I actually adore Maple Syrup.  And clam juice is pretty useful too. 😉