Jump to content
IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love how if your game is shit this is the description it gets: But otherwise you get one o' these novels: Note the SEO going on here "... most influential video game..." etc.

Eh my advice, just don't take it personally.  I don't understand the whole mentality of buying it for the collection but then immediately listing it for sale (even if price is obviously unreasonable)

@DefaultGen

Posted Images

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Maertens29 said:

It's not even a first prriiiiiiinnnnnnntttttttttttttt

LMAO. 

The key right now is to be first to auction, nothing else matters. If Spiderman on Atari is gonna go for 9k, God of War for 3k, etc., we're 100% looking at people who know nothing about video games just buying shit in auctions purely because it's made it to auction.

Go on, grade basically anything. Get it on HA and you'll make money.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gloves said:

LMAO. 

The key right now is to be first to auction, nothing else matters. If Spiderman on Atari is gonna go for 9k, God of War for 3k, etc., we're 100% looking at people who know nothing about video games just buying shit in auctions purely because it's made it to auction.

Go on, grade basically anything. Get it on HA and you'll make money.

Yea I actually fully believe what you said at this point.  Literally any "name brand" title with any kind of relevance.  Just be the first to sell one on Heritage and fucking whamo, make your gazillions and buy back a better one for half the price next month.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm convinced the buyers on there don't even look at ebay. Stuff will sell on Heritage for multiple times what copies on ebay have been sitting around for months at. On the other side, I see rare games that I think would get a lot of interest bring a fraction of what I had guessed they would.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2020 at 10:04 PM, DefaultGen said:

Saw this DKC2 listed as Player's Choice, although it's already going for 100s so it doesn't look like it's going to affect the sales price. Funny that 3 people had to miss this though, Wata, the seller, and HA.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Waaaiit, WATA screwed up the label... it says Player's Choice.

p.s. Gonna check out your podcast!

Edited by ApebitMusic
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm convinced the buyers on there don't even look at ebay. Stuff will sell on Heritage for multiple times what copies on ebay have been sitting around for months at. On the other side, I see rare games that I think would get a lot of interest bring a fraction of what I had guessed they would.

I was thinking of something like that last night when I compared eBay prices to a few Yahoo! Auction prices. The latter had some sellers offering a promotional variant poster for the Compile Shadowrun (Mega-CD) game. They had those around $60. The one being sold on eBay is $266.99. The game itself, CIB, is more than double on eBay as well. But yeah... I guess the eBay end of things is a Rod Sterling short of being similar to the Twilight Zone.

1 minute ago, Startyde said:

That GoW auction was the dumbest thing I've seen in 2020 and that's saying a lot. People with money that have no idea what they're doing. A fan of the game would know it was a lousy second printing. A speculator would have no clue and therein lay the issue.

That is the one big thing I don't like about VGA or WATA Games. They don't mark a first press/print games as such. It annoys me because people are not always going to know the difference. In this case it is the security sticker. And in more recent cases it's going to be a sticker that says the game has bonus content. But for me it matters more to see that than have the game include a "archival" sticker. Because if they can note an error copy, seam-type, etc. then they should do this for first press/print games as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

That is the one big thing I don't like about VGA or WATA Games. They don't mark a first press/print games as such. It annoys me because people are not always going to know the difference. In this case it is the security sticker. And in more recent cases it's going to be a sticker that says the game has bonus content. But for me it matters more to see that than have the game include a "archival" sticker. Because if they can note an error copy, seam-type, etc. then they should do this for first press/print games as well.

From what I understand, they don't label prints because if another variation is found all of the labels on previously graded copies would be wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

From what I understand, they don't label prints because if another variation is found all of the labels on previously graded copies would be wrong. 

That I can understand. I mean seeing how it is a guessing game since companies do not always keep track of the changes they made. And those who have it were probably abducted by some anti-grading organization that do not want to have that part of the market to be accurate. But it still bugs me that VGA will not say "with bonus sticker/content/etc." for a Japanese release at the very least. Because even if they do not have a way to confirm it they could choose to do that instead of just saying "Japan release".

I know that I might sound nit-picky but I did find a Japanese seller who had two VGA graded copies of Dragon Quest XI (3DS) for sale. And they had the second print cost more because it graded a 95, while the first print was a 90. Both had the same type of label so the buyer might not know the difference. So now I am wondering if I should even bother hunting down first prints of select games I want while they are still cheap. Because at this points buyers seem to care more about the score than the rarity. 😑

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

That I can understand. I mean seeing how it is a guessing game since companies do not always keep track of the changes they made. And those who have it were probably abducted by some anti-grading organization that do not want to have that part of the market to be accurate. But it still bugs me that VGA will not say "with bonus sticker/content/etc." for a Japanese release at the very least. Because even if they do not have a way to confirm it they could choose to do that instead of just saying "Japan release".

I know that I might sound nit-picky but I did find a Japanese seller who had two VGA graded copies of Dragon Quest XI (3DS) for sale. And they had the second print cost more because it graded a 95, while the first print was a 90. Both had the same type of label so the buyer might not know the difference. So now I am wondering if I should even bother hunting down first prints of select games I want while they are still cheap. Because at this points buyers seem to care more about the score than the rarity. 😑

If I could figure out what buyers were going to care about I'd make a fortune. What's going for insane money now might be worthless next month. It's that crazy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

If I could figure out what buyers were going to care about I'd make a fortune. What's going for insane money now might be worthless next month. It's that crazy.

Honestly, I had that ability as well I would probably have a business partner in all of this. 🤑

But with the fact sellers are ignoring print rarity has me question what is the point of hunting down first print titles for the PS2 and beyond. And I am saying this is a collector who has zero interest to sell anything I buy. Because in the end what is going to dictate how much something is worth appears to be the grade, not the difference between a first and second print. Which is so insane to me that it literally took me a lot of time to find a sane way to say that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Member · Posted
10 hours ago, Startyde said:

That GoW auction was the dumbest thing I've seen in 2020 and that's saying a lot. People with money that have no idea what they're doing. A fan of the game would know it was a lousy second printing. A speculator would have no clue and therein lay the issue.

I have some disturbing doubts as to the legitimacy of some of these sales when these sorts of end price results. Reasons:

- what kind of speculator would you be for seemingly doing ZERO research on an estimated value, and then chucking away 4 figure dollars?

- in speculating/investing, wouldn’t the aim be to buy low and then sell high? What we’re seeing with the prices is that if the auctions are legit, then the speculation is to spend 5-10 times the previous sales, and then hoping that they will resell for more? 🤪

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think some people with a lot of money are buying videogames because they heard they are "good investments". The guy who won the auction  probably saw Mario Nes prices so he bought "one of the most famous playstation games in high grade  graded by Wata " expecting something similar one day 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Mijael said:

I think some people with a lot of money are buying videogames because they heard they are "good investments". The guy who won the auction  probably saw Mario Nes prices so he bought "one of the most famous playstation games in high grade  graded by Wata " expecting something similar one day 😄

gclogo.png.8b4eff5c84addc8d88bcbf906fbcebea.png

 

There's some new kids on the playground boys.  And they have lotsa cash to throw into 'alternative investments.'

Link to post
Share on other sites

As crazy as it seems, I guess some of these people are just rich and diversifying for lack of a better term?  Sell a comic book for $50k then dump it into games on HA without really knowing or caring to do research? 

We as collectors know what's a good and bad buy, but if you're just a pure investor who wants to get his toes in the market without knowing, then I guess you just throw lots of money at games that you know by name. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tbone3969 said:

The horror.....

 

The horror...

 

We need to have a movie poll about Apocalypse Now.

"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. I watched someone pay $3120 for a shit copy of God of War. That's my dream. That's my nightmare: crawling, slithering, along the edge of the graded game market and getting a 1000x return on investment." - Colonel Walter "NEScollectahzzz87" Kurtz

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Welcome to VGS!

    Play, Make, Collect.

    Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

    Join the conversation!

×
×
  • Create New...