IGNORED

The 2022 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

38 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Made some great progress in Mega Man 2, though I'm using the mini instead of the GC collection since I have that now. I finally beat the damn dragon in Wily's castle 1 after the auto scroll and I absolutely blazed through Wily Castle 2 before I had to stop. Mega man has never felt more beatable to me!

Still plugging away at TTYD as well. Up to 3 crystal stars now.

I never really had an issue with the controls in Mega Man Anniversary Collection, even though the actions of the A and B buttons are swapped. I can cruise through Mega Man 2 no problem on both the NES and GameCube, since either way you're using only two buttons most of the time. Then again, I've been playing Mega Man Anniversary Collection since 2004.

I do, however, occasionally have issues with the default controls in the Wily Wars version (A=Weapon screen, B=Shoot, C=Jump).

Edited by MegaMan52

14 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

I never really had an issue with the controls in Mega Man Anniversary Collection, even though the actions of the A and B buttons are swapped. I can cruise through Mega Man 2 no problem on both the NES and GameCube, since either way you're using only two buttons most of the time. Then again, I've been playing Mega Man Anniversary Collection since 2004.

I do, however, occasionally have issues with the default controls in the Wily Wars version (A=Weapon screen, B=Shoot, C=Jump).

I've always sucked at Mega Man though. 2 is widely thought to be the most approachable so I'm determined to knock at least that one out!

12 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

I've always sucked at Mega Man though. 2 is widely thought to be the most approachable so I'm determined to knock at least that one out!

after you conquer MM2, MM3 is pretty similar. it might be slightly tougher (maybe?), but your skills will have improved as well. give it a go!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

First run.  I have purposefully protracted this playthrough for years because I didn't want it to end.

I don’t blame you one bit. It’s magical the first time you do it! Having all the divine beasts and all the end game weapons and armor makes you pretty overpowered for the fight but it’s great nonetheless. Enjoy!

Finished Thimbleweed Park tonight

wRZau0b.jpg

I grew up playing, but never beating, Lucasarts adventure games on the C64 with my brother. This one of course followed the same style and included a boat load of references to those old games for plenty of nostalgia and in-jokes. It hit perfectly for me. The difficulty was certainly fair and I only used the in-game hint line once (to figure out how to get the gloves). I could understand some people not liking the ending, but I enjoyed how it was handled. The biggest complaints I have are that there were too many items that were ultimately worthless red herrings and that its really easy to spend a ton of time chasing solutions to puzzles that you're not allowed to solve until a future chapter.  Still, a really solid point-and-click that makes me want to add Zak McCracken to my 2023 backlog list.

• Like 4

I actually managed to stay motivated and continue beating a bunch of games throughout February. I've posted about most of the games I've beaten in the corresponding "beat every game" thread, but as I move to newer consoles, I'll probably start posting here.

Anyway, I was able to beat 34 Game Boy and Game Boy Color games in February, making my total for the year 70.

Some highlights:

• R-Type II on R-Type DXAmazing SHMUP. Best one I've played on the GB yet.
  • Pitman (Catrap)Pitman's puzzles are fantastic and all the levels can be beaten within a minute. It has great controls, a rewind function, a password function, and a level editor that outputs your levels as passwords if you want to share them with friends or revisit them. Overall, it's a great game, and easily in the conversation of best puzzle games on the GB, IMO.
  • Akumajou Special: Boku Dracula-Kun (Kid Dracula)This game is so great that it stands up to the Famicom version, IMO. It's mind-blowing that Konami managed to put something like this on the GB and have it run with no slowdown and have no control issues. Absolutely phenomenal. 
  • Final ReverseA 2P SHMUP where you're fighting the opposing player. Each "fight" has two rounds. The first is a 30-second preliminary round, where you draw a track with your spaceship, adding twists and curves to the line while the opponent does the same. Your spaceship must stay on this line. If you die in this round, you are not penalized, but whatever portion of the line you didn't draw is filled in with a straight line to the other end of the screen. The second is a deathmatch, and you switch lines. So if you were able to draw a bullcrap line, the computer gets stuck with it (and vise versa), like so:

bknHcJmm.jpg

• Operation CThis game is just as impressive as Kid Dracula. When Konami gets it right, they really made some of the best games on the console.

• Snoopy TennisA fantastic game and one that I highly recommend for anyone who yearns for an old-school, yet realistic tennis experience. I'd honestly say that, tennis-wise, it's better than Mario Tennis on the GBC. And most tennis games released at its time or before it. And it's not close.

Some lowlights:

• Soccer (DMG-GSA)—A fun soccer game with a massive flaw that makes goals too easy to score. The goalie mirrors where the ball is on the pitch and doesn't stay in his box. Whoops. This one needed a little more play testing, Tonkin House. This bug was fixed in the European release of Football International.

iIhOzltm.jpg

• After Burst—A puzzle platformer marred by slowdown and very unresponsive controls.
  • R-Type DX—A colorization that somehow manages to run worse than the original GB versions of the games that are on the same cartridge. They also decided the 4th boss of R-Type II (stage 10) should fire a bunch of bullets. I'm cool with the idea, but in practice, the chaos and the limitations of the hardware make a significant number of bullets invisible (but still deadly).

As for my actual backlog list, I've met or exceeded the number of games in each genre I wanted to beat this year. However, I have not beaten any games for a majority of the consoles I wanted to play this year, so my backlog challenge is still not complete. I'll probably be moving on to other consoles sometime in March. I'm thinking maybe SNES, SMS, or Genesis.

• Like 4

I finished Pokémon Red! What a great game, this was my first Pokémon play through ever. 

My final team ended up being Venusaur, Haunter, Zapdos, Dewgong, Seadra and Moltres. 

I learned quickly I really like water types and don’t care much for the fighting types. 😅 my final Pokédex number is 86 so I’ll go back eventually and finish evolving what in need to evolve and catching and such. Either way, the elite four was beaten and I consider the game done for now. 

Such a great time, what to play now! 

• Like 5

I didn't become active here again until about a month ago, but I created my backlog challenge for 2022.  I know I am a couple months late but better late than never right?!  Some of these games I started years ago and tapered off and some I had played as a kid but never finished them.  Metroid Prime is one I am really looking forward to as everyone has great things to say about the series.   There will be games I complete for the "Beat Every Game" threads that aren't included in this, which will probably derail me from completing these haha.

NES

Mega Man 2

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Zelda II

SNES

Breath of Fire

Cool Spot

Lawnmower Man

Spawn

N64

Mischief Makers

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

NGC

Metroid Prime

Switch

Super Mario Odyssey - 11/16

Mega Man 11

GBA

FFVI Advance - 5/1

DS

Chrono Trigger

PS2

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII

PS3

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2

PS4

Assassin's Creed Unity - 11/11

Edited by Matchbook
Update completed games
  • Like 1

Horizon: Zero Dawn & The Frozen Wilds DLC (PS4 on PS5, Normal)
Score: 8.5/10

Horizon Zero Dawn: A Video Game That Deserves a Movie Series Adaption - Wow  pro

First of all, I have to give a big kudos to Guerrilla for a hugely successful first attempt at an open world game. I've played through all of the Killzone games and always found them stunningly mediocre (even the ones that reviewed well), so I was surprised to see them take on a whole new style of game. Despite their long history with first-person shooters, they expanded into a whole new arena and managed to hit a home run on the first pitch. I really enjoyed my time with Horizon and I'm really looking forward to playing the sequel later this year.

Horizon takes inspiration from the best in the genre while simultaneously avoiding many of the pitfalls that seem to haunt even the biggest open world games. The world is beautifully realized with fantastic art direction that makes every area beautiful in its own right. Taking screenshots in this game is a joy due to the really interesting use of colors everywhere. Every new area is fun to explore and the map doesn't feel overloaded or too big. There might be a few too many symbols trying to get your attention, but exploration is mostly organic.

g2k8olb.jpg

Even better, the lore that underpins the modern day setting is truly interesting and always had me looking forward to the next story beat. Its really exciting to learn how the machines came about and why they behave as they do. This plays directly into the gameplay which revolves around fighting robotic versions of real-life animals. These robot enemies all have unique personalities and are quite enjoyable to fight, in small doses.

While the game is really fantastic, it definitely has a few quirks that hold it back from being an all-time classic for me.

Combat tends to grow repetitive after a while and, despite the variety of weapons, most encounters play out the same way. You either gradually strip away machine components until the baddies are sitting ducks or find a way to stun them with elemental effects, allowing for a stronger attack. The override ability is great, but is mostly only useful for distracting enemies rather than actually finishing battles. I also felt it was a bit silly to have to keep re-scanning the same enemy to expose weak points; one scan should be enough.

HHrFcb6.jpg

Aloy's story and the ongoing conflicts within the post-apocalyptic world feel a little flat compared to the old world and the events that led to the apocalypse. I found myself mostly indifferent to the struggles of the different tribes that are detailed in a lot of the side quests. Aloy herself also feels very under-developed. There is a really interesting character buried underneath the surface, but the game doesn't really explore this in any significant way. I'd love to see a little bit more emotional depth to her and the relationships she has with the people around her.

hKxPLHT.jpg

Lastly, the traversal is one of the game's biggest weaknesses. Movement is very good in open areas, but climbing is stuck in the old Uncharted/Tomb Raider style which only allows movement on very specified paths. It often feels too restrictive and a bit unwieldy, making climbing a chore. This is implemented much better in the aforementioned games and is a far cry from the freedom provided in games like BotW. Additionally, the "mounts" move no faster than Aloy in the open world and their attacks are too weak to be useful. On the plus side, the game is absolutely littered with fast-travel points. This is AWESOME! I love that the designers respect your time instead of forcing you to travel back and forth over the same areas over and over again.

Bottom Line: Horizon: Zero Dawn is a fantastic open world game full of colorful landscapes, interesting mechanics, and an enthralling tale of humanity's navigation of a self-inflicted apocalypse. If you like open-world games, play this one.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Horizon: Zero Dawn & The Frozen Wilds DLC (PS4 on PS5, Normal)
Score: 8.5/10

First of all, I have to give a big kudos to Guerrilla for an hugely successful first attempt at an open world game. I really enjoyed my time with this game and look forward to playing the sequel later this year.

Horizon takes inspiration from the best in the genre while simultaneously avoiding many of the pitfalls that seem to haunt many the biggest entries in the genre.

Post in progress (real life is suddenly interrupting me)...

I enjoyed it as well.  I was about a year late to HZD because I played BOTW at launch (both launched on the same day for those who don't know).  It's interesting how similar both games are, but also different enough that they are each worth playing.

HZD is one of only two games that I've achieved a platinum trophy.  I haven't had a chance yet to try the DLC or sequel.  Hoping to eventually complete both.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I enjoyed it as well.  I was about a year late to HZD because I played BOTW at launch (both launched on the same day for those who don't know).  It's interesting how similar both games are, but also different enough that they are each worth playing.

HZD is one of only two games that I've achieved a platinum trophy.  I haven't had a chance yet to try the DLC or sequel.  Hoping to eventually complete both.  

They are both truly awesome games. BotW is one of the all-time greats for me, but I really enjoyed the world and lore of Horizon. Frozen Wilds is a nice addition and I'd definitely recommend a playthrough if you have time. It has some beautiful areas and nice set-pieces along with some some good characters.

My sister and nephew came over this afternoon and she and I just finished Goof Troop on SNES! The game was a fairly recent recommendation and it didn't disappoint; this is a really fun game!

1VRZNaqWTZSHGWRnV1i3Ug.jpg.0fae3e03fc579908b415d8c618398f63.jpg

We had fun voicing the characters like the Saturday morning cartoon show XD.

• Like 4

Finally got around to updating my list. Carried over most of the games that I didn't get to last year but a few dropped off for lack of interest (mostly more modern stuff, interestingly).

I fought with myself about whether to keep Duck Tales on the list. I don't know what it is about that game. It's so charming and simple on the surface and yet something about it gives me anxiety. I think, as I've said previously, that my relative frustration must probably come from just a general lack of familiarity. It wasn't a game that I grew up with, really.

Dusted off the 3DS and wanted to start working through some of those titles. I'm a couple of worlds into Super Mario 3D Land and it's pretty great, even if it is super easy. I don't mind an easy game sometimes, especially if it is as charming as this one.

I've also, shockingly, never actually finished Super Mario Bros. 2, so I'd like to put a nail in that coffin this year, if I can.

I'm pushing Conker toward the top of the list this year because it's a game I've been aware of for decades, it sits on my shelf and seems like it would be a lot of laughs but I've just never loaded it up. Will fix that this year.

I'm also keeping the Zelda Oracle games on the list because I really, really want to play them and I will *hopefully* get my Analogue Pocket this year, if wave 2 delivers on-time. Then, I'll have a screen big and bright enough not to murder my eyes.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

@Estil You should probably buy Xenoblade 2.  All of the JRPG and anime chick stuff you adore.

I am trying to get all the PS3/PS4 Tales games even as we speak.  I THINK I managed to get 'em all:

PS3: Symphonia Chronicles, Xillia (only first one so far), Graces F

PS4: Vesperia, Berseria, Zestiria

Ah wouldn't ya know it Xenoblade 2 is Switch-only (which I don't yet have)...that is neat they're gonna make it at least a trilogy though.

So far my favorite chick in the Tales series by far is Meredy (Eternia)...I hope there's some other really kawaii ones in the above games but Meredy is gonna be awfully tough to beat (I love her "You bet!" catchphrase🥰 and "Did we win!?"🥰).

Edited by Estil

i'm officially quitting on Mega Man & Bass. 

i'm just not having fun with it. it's punishingly difficult, but doesn't have the enjoyment factor that 1-6 and 8 have to balance it out. i've already taken a couple breaks from it, but as soon as i jump back in, the frustration factor just shoots up in me. i won't dedicate any more brainpower to this one. on to more relaxing games.

side note, i didn't realize Holy Diver was this challenging either. i'm not giving up on it, but both these games are above my difficulty threshold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

i'm officially quitting on Mega Man & Bass. 

i'm just not having fun with it. it's punishingly difficult, but doesn't have the enjoyment factor that 1-6 and 8 have to balance it out. i've already taken a couple breaks from it, but as soon as i jump back in, the frustration factor just shoots up in me. i won't dedicate any more brainpower to this one. on to more relaxing games.

side note, i didn't realize Holy Diver was this challenging either. i'm not giving up on it, but both these games are above my difficulty threshold.

To be fair the bosses are much harder (even BurnerMan WITH the ColdMan weakness) without being able to use E tanks.  And a few of those CDs are really frustrating (like the one where Rush must dig it out before those drill things hit him or destroy the ground holding the CD) but as Sonic in the Sonic & Knuckles guide would say, NEVER GIVE UP!  Keep trying and you WILL win!  You just need a little patience, a little perseverance, and a lot of ATTITUDE!

• Thanks 1