IGNORED

The 2022 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

@RH 0/7
RH by his own admission has never beat a game, so I'm pretty sure he's just trolling us.

Lolz.

And to clarify, I have beaten games, but probably only 5% of those I've legit sat down to play beyond testing a cart.  I also thought I updated my post and knocked one off.  I know I completed Tetrisphere for the N64 challenge and I think that was a goal.  Let me check and update.

Just now, RH said:

Lolz.

And to clarify, I have beaten games, but probably only 5% of those I've legit sat down to play beyond testing a cart.  I also thought I updated my post and knocked one off.  I know I completed Tetrisphere for the N64 challenge and I think that was a goal.  Let me check and update.

Ok, nope!  I put. the GB list on their rather than the N64 one so I was also trolling myself!  Anyway, if I can git good at Xenon 2 on the GB, I should be able to cross that one off.  It's a shame.  It feels so easy and yet I can't beat the first boss on stage 5.  I can't find the perfect firing pattern while dodging the bullets.  That dang lizard is fast. :S

Editorials Team · Posted
6 hours ago, Sumez said:

How do people go over their goal? 😅
Should I add in all the games I've beaten that weren't on my list as well?

I feel like if I put 40 games on my list and beat 40 games not on my list, 40/40 would be misleading, since I didn't beat any games on my backlog. But at the same time at least getting through 40 games should count for something still.
Maybe something like "27/40 + 13" could be a useful metric dunno. Just speaking for myself anyway, if this were a competition I wouldn't have put 47 games on my list 😆

In that case, CC beat all of his games, so he added a new list.

• Like 1

@Reed RothchildNexzr is a very tough but incredible shoot 'em up on PC Engine CD by Naxat Soft.

index.jpg.008984739cea71be349b55cba21ecfcd.jpg

nexzr-8.png.e2e0045b2ee2dc84e6cbbf2eec447ec3.png

I refused to be beaten by Mega Man & Bass, and I refuse to be beaten by Mega Man X 6 (will probably grind that one out on Sunday), but Nexzr...I love it but may have bitten off more than I can chew. I'm going to wait until I take a few days off and just keep continuing after every defeat until either I win or the game eventually melts my brain and I have to stop.  

Graphics Team · Posted
7 hours ago, Sumez said:

I feel like if I put 40 games on my list and beat 40 games not on my list, 40/40 would be misleading, since I didn't beat any games on my backlog. But at the same time at least getting through 40 games should count for something still.
Maybe something like "27/40 + 13" could be a useful metric dunno. Just speaking for myself anyway, if this were a competition I wouldn't have put 47 games on my list 😆

Yeah - I counted the extra games as "Bonus Clears" in my post (see below). Reed was just consolidating.
(But my list hardly counts anyway, because I generalized by "x games per system" rather than picking specific titles haha).

-CasualCart

On 12/31/2021 at 2:26 PM, CasualCart said:

CasualCart's 2022 Backlog Goals:

NESClear at least 3 games.
Puss N Boots [2022/01/02]
Parasol Stars (Good Ending) [2022/01/05]
Adventures of Lolo [2022/01/14]

Atari 2600Earn at least 1 new Activision Patch.
Spider Fighter - 49k (A/A), 53k (B/B) [2022/01/23]

TurboGrafx-16 / PC Engine: Clear at least 1 game.
Parasol Stars (Good Ending) [2022/01/09]

Sega Genesis / Master System: Clear at least 1 game.
Arrow Flash (Easy-settings) [2022/01/19]

BONUS Clears:
Image Fight (with Turbo and Slow-Mo) [NES[2022/01/24]
Star Parodier (Easy-settings with Turbo) [PC Engine] [2022/01/30]
Bomberman '93 [TurboGrafx-16] [2022/02/14]
Airlock [Atari 2600[2022/04/25]

-CasualCart

Graphics Team · Posted
9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

@CasualCart 10/6
This year's Doc Encore.  Set the expectations in the basement.  And then shatter them in a matter of weeks.

@DoctorEncore and I know what's up - life is full of victories when your expectations are low and you never commit to anything haha.

-CasualCart

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

Amendments incoming! :D

5 hours ago, CasualCart said:

@DoctorEncore and I know what's up - life is full of victories when your expectations are low and you never commit to anything haha.

-CasualCart

Underpromise and overdeliver. It's my life's motto and it's served me well.

Finished up The Ascent and Dead Space, so I'm down to my last holdover title from last year (Myst). Always getting sidetracked with new stuff, but that's half the fun. Starting Trek to Yomi and FFX soon.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Renmauzo said:

Nexzr is a very tough but incredible shoot 'em up on PC Engine CD by Naxat Soft.

Just to be that guy 😄

Nexzr was made by Kaneko. They are probably mostly famous for the notorious Gals Panic series, but I gotta shill Cyvern: The Dragon Weapons which is a bit of an overlooked cool arcade shmup IMO

Editorials Team · Posted

Here's my update:

I had been playing Hollow Knight, and I was loving it. I even got to where I wanted to find all the charms, and I KINDA did. I still have to face the last Grimm Troupe guy, and aside from that, I'm pretty sure it's just the final boss and that's it. Unfortunately, being in that situation means that if I sit down and flip on the Switch, I have to face one of those two guys, and it just hasn't been enough of a draw. I didn't touch the Switch for like 2 months. I don't WANT to leave Hollow Knight like that, but maybe I need a break?

Well that's what I've decided anyway. I put in Origami King and it's basically the opposite of Hollow Knight, lol. Colorful, very little challenge, light-hearted jokes, Nintendo charm. And honestly I'm having a great time so far. I'm on the 3rd streamer, and I'm back to looking for opportunities to sneak away and play Switch again. So that's been fun.

I agree with the general sentiment that the battles are annoying since they're so pointless. I'm just like everyone else, I loved Paper Mario on N64 and GC, the Wii one was meh, Sticker Star was nearly unplayable, and I never tried Color Splash. I kind wanted to skip this one but I think it was @Sumez who recommended it. So, thanks!

As for Hollow Knight, I might do the thing where every day I try to beat the final boss exactly 3 times, then move on to another game. That's worked for me before.

• Love 1

I havent quit, just still playing dangun feveron and trying to reach the tlb. No miss requirement what the fuck were they thinking?  Still seems very far off as I've yet to make it to the final stage without dying at least once

And I've been playing the game a shit load but it's so easy to die, even on stage fucking 2. Guess I need to route every fucking second of this one if I'm actually going to get it done.

4 hours ago, peg said:

I havent quit, just still playing dangun feveron and trying to reach the tlb. No miss requirement what the fuck were they thinking?  Still seems very far off as I've yet to make it to the final stage without dying at least once

The big question is... are you playing the version where the TLB can't hurt you? 😄

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

The big question is... are you playing the version where the TLB can't hurt you? 😄

Yeah i have the japanse pcb where It's invincible unless you bomb. I've cleared it while practiting some save states in mame without invincibility. it's actually not hard at all because bombs work on it, you just end up using most of your lives and your score will be a lot worse.  Just getting to it is the hard part.  

I might burn a rom of the version without the bug and eventually do a clear of that too just to demonstrate it.

Editorials Team · Posted
Just now, DoctorEncore said:

Which version did you play? I think there's an HD update on Game Pass or I could just be making that up.

The HD one, on Switch.  I have an LRG copy coming at some point, but then it went on sale for $2.99 on the eShop so I snatched it up.

• Like 1