IGNORED

The 2022 Backlog Challenge

Reed Rothchild

Administrator · Posted

I've started up Moon on the DS, and am enjoying it so far. Made by the folks who did the Dementium games I came in with high hopes and so far have not been let down. The controls feel a bit more floaty, but it's not a bad thing, and actually fits the space theme well; you're in a space suit, so movement should imo be limited and this is a nice compromise that doesn't make the game feel janky at all. 

7 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I played Wild Arms way back when it was first released and really liked it. It's nowhere near the quality of the best SNES and PS RPGs, but it has a certain charm. I don't know if it's the deformed characters, action elements, or the wild west setting, but it's just a cool game. I haven't revisited it since that initial playthrough so 'll be interested to hear your take on it in 2022.

Oddly enough, I bought Wild Arms 2 when it came out without having tried the first one and enjoyed it but didn't beat it (something else must have come out in '99 to divert my attention). It was nice to take a break from sword and sorcery-centric RPGs, and Xenogears was a game changer for me and my expectations of the stories that could be told in a game. It was with that in mind that I decided to buy WA2 and would - shortly thereafter - buy Wild Arms from a bargain bin for $10 (same thing happened with Suikoden). To this day, I still haven't popped WA into the PlayStation as I kept telling myself I'd get around to it (same thing happened with Wild Arms Alter Code F, 4, and 5), so this year is the year. I 'll certainly drop my impressions when I play through 🙂   

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
48 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I've started up Moon on the DS, and am enjoying it so far. Made by the folks who did the Dementium games I came in with high hopes and so far have not been let down. The controls feel a bit more floaty, but it's not a bad thing, and actually fits the space theme well; you're in a space suit, so movement should imo be limited and this is a nice compromise that doesn't make the game feel janky at all. 

you will be starting a new game on Tuesday, I guarantee it!  Don't get too involved in anything 😉  

I kinda think of Wild Arms as “slightly better Golden Sun” except instead of Golden Sun’s “interminable dialogue that goes nowhere, lasts forever, and says nothing worthwhile,” its main pain point is “laughable battle graphics” whereas Golden Sun’s were really good.

I feel like it comes out ahead even on that tradeoff but your milage may vary.

Edited by MagusSmurf

Administrator · Posted

Back on track a bit - I started Paper Mario (original) yesterday.  It is so adorable, I love it so far.  I'm not too far in, but I'm quite enjoying it.  The battle system is a bit...meh, but I love everything else so far about the world, story, characters, style, etc.

First two games of the year complete!

Super Mario 64 - Switch

Score: 5/10

37sML5x.jpg

I'm sorry, but I really don't like this game. The controls and camera are just awful and I can't believe anyone ever thought they were good. I know they wanted to emulate the momentum-based movement from the 2D games, but the implementation here is subpar. I'd say a full 90% of my deaths were due to Mario's momentum or inability to turn. Of course I made adjustments and improved the more I played, but it never felt good. Also, the camera is just atrocious; being one of the first 3D platformers doesn't change or excuse that. Lastly, the lack of a level select and being booted to the front of the castle when quitting stages are both unnecessary pains in the ass.

My only praise is for the level design and mission structure. It's not perfect, but I enjoyed the way the missions encourage exploration and discovery. I've never met a 3D Mario I loved and this game did nothing to change that. 2D for life!

m3Oj813.jpg

Halo Infinite - XSX

Score: 9/10

t3JPyg7.jpg

Halo is back baby! I had a blast with this one. The entertaining physics-based gameplay and outstanding AI that the series is known for are both on display in this return to form for the Master Chief. After lackluster outings in Halo 4 and Halo 5, this game finds the right balance of new and old. The linear levels are a perfect throwback to the original trilogy while the open world exploration expands the core gameplay loop in interesting ways. I loved trying out different weapon and equipment combos as I grapplehooked around enemy fortifications, just barely escaping a giant gravity hammer while headshotting a pitiful grunt. The multiplayer is expertly crafted with some great maps and perfect balance despite the addition of high-mobility equipment. All these elements combine to make the best package since Reach.

The story is a bit haphazard with a cold opening that's a little too cold, especially for the casual player. Even after taking some time to dig through the stories from the old games, I still felt a bit lost at the start. The story eventually finds its footing and the relationship between Master Chief, Cortana, and The Weapon is sweet and sincere, providing a touch of humanity that the game really needs.

If they had managed to squeeze co-op in for launch, this may have become my favorite title in the series. As it stands, it's still a monumental accomplishment for a project that went through more than its share of turmoil. I can't wait to return to Zeta Halo with some good friends in May.

m5MZ0Hn.png

Up next, I'll keep chipping away at my "Now Playing" list and probably start up Metroid Dread.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 4

Graphics Team · Posted

Update: I cleared Adventures of Lolo [NES] today!

This game has haunted me ever since 2015, when I got stuck on the final floor and shelved it for almost 7 years. Now I've finally redeemed myself and bested the puzzle that poor, naive, college-freshman CasualCart couldn't solve.

This means I've met my 3-game NES quota for the year (much quicker than I anticipated), but I plan to revisit some other titles after working on my remaining 2022 backlog goals.

Spoiler

One of my favorite parts in Adventures of Lolo is the final boss, which is just a cutscene of Lolo blasting the "Great Devil" in the face and rescuing Lala. Some might find that anticlimactic, but I thought it was perfect - it is a puzzle game, after all.

-CasualCart

795779532_CasualCartLolo.jpg.ecb44deb870730a312d351d47b51dd59.jpg

• Like 4

finished Mega Man 8 this morning.

the first half, i really dug the robot masters' stages. there was a shoot 'em up segment and a track segment (think the mine cart levels in Donkey Kong Country). really neat. the game was vibrant and fun, and reminded me of arcade games of the time.
the other half? the Dr. Wily stages? they were brutally difficult. i died 30+ times in the first stage alone. frustrating as all hell. i damn near quit. but i powered through and stopped Wily (again). there's some fun FMV animated cut scenes interspersed,  and i really liked them alot.
play this at your own risk, and my kudos to you if you push to the end.

20220115_111647.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I beat Robotech: The Macross Saga on GBA a few moments ago, my first win of 2022! I used the GBA Consolizer for this as I find shoot 'em ups difficult to play on the small GBA screens. 

Gerwalk mode felt essential to use, especially for not taking ground damage. The top down levels were weird and clunky from a control perspective, and the levels were mostly too long, especially given how repetitive they were. All in all, a serviceable shooter, but pretty shallow.

TFwq-UXQSti-qUymKYQmgQ.jpg.bce4fa13f14b6b9c8d00c15fc59e65a3.jpg

Edited by Renmauzo
  • Like 4

Editorials Team · Posted
56 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Thoughts? I absolutely loved this game and it probably moved up to being one of my favourite FE games.

It was good.  I've never played an FE that wasn't fun.  And it was a nice change with the dungeons and whatnot, compared to Fates and Awakening being very linear.

And getting rid of the teaming up was nice.  I don't feel like that worked.

But it lost some of the rock paper scissors mechanics, which hurt I think.

And the number of random battle-esque fights got pretty high.

And I don't think I lost a single map.  And neither MC went down a single time.  Granted I didn't do classic mode, but that still seems rather easy.

So, B or B+.  Not sure how I'd rank the 3DS games.  It's close.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

Update: I cleared Arrow Flash [Genesis] today!

I configured it to the easiest settings in the option menu (Easy mode, 7 lives per credit, and Rapid-Fire), but I still count it as a clear since all of those settings were provided by the game itself.
I think this is the first Genesis game I've ever beaten (and it's my favorite Genesis game, at that). I love the ability to play as the mech, and plenty of game-elements seem to be homages to classic space-shooters like Gradius and R-Type.

This means my 1-game Genesis quota is met for the year. Now I just have to earn a 2600 Activision patch to meet my minimum 2022 backlog goals. (I was working on Keystone Kapers, but I had to throw in the towel on that one).

-CasualCart

843148804_CasualCartArrowFlash.jpg.b8924a6481cb7314b7f8796a176b9e80.jpg

• Like 4

It's probably too late for me to make a list for this challenge. I wasn't planning on participating in the first place. But since I'm taking a break from collecting, I think now would be a good time to actually play what I got. So, screw it! I'm making a list anyway!  Here's 20 NES games from my collection that I want to beat this year.

Adventure Island
Air Fortress
Bionic Commando
Captain Skyhawk
Castlevania
Contra
Crystalis
Double Dragon 2: The Revenge
Dragon Spirit: The New Legend
Dragon Warrior
Guardian Legend
Mega Man 3
Ninja Gaiden
Punch-Out!!
Rolling Thunder
Shadowgate
Snake Rattle 'n' Roll
Star Soldier
Super Mario Bros. 3
Wizards and Warriors

And as a bonus, I also want to beat Spyro: Year of the Dragon during the summer. I've surprisingly never finished it, despite it being my favorite game of all time. Hopefully school won't kick my ass this year.

• Like 3

Editorials Team · Posted

I've been playing Hollow Knight. I know it's lame to put a game on my backlog that's fairly new and loved by millions, but from what I've read about it, I knew I'd want to abandon it after the first hour. So I put it on my list to help me stick with it.

And I DO want to abandon it. I understand it's a "metroidvania," so constantly hitting dead ends and ability gates is part of the experience. But I'm fairly certain I've backtracked everywhere lots of times, and done everything I can, except grind for hours so I can buy out all the stores. Obviously there's SOMETHING I can do, I just keep missing it. I'm probably 30 minutes of brick-wall-hitting away from looking it up on the internet, but I'd really rather not.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1