IGNORED

Switch Online Pricing Announced ($50)

Code Monkey

Events Helper · Posted
19 minutes ago, MegaMan52 said:

It's great that N64 games are being released for the Switch and can be played online, so maybe we can play them on future VGS Game Nights. However, I think I'm going to wait until more games are added. If Banjo-Kazooie is going to be included later, maybe Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, and Conker's Bad Fur Day might be added some day. GoldenEye, of course, would be nice too, but I'm not sure what the chances of it being included are. I think it's likely Nintendo will bring Mario Party 1-3 and Donkey Kong 64 (or at least one of those games) to Switch eventually, so I might be willing to spend that kind of money later this year or sometime next year.

It WILL be on future game nights!  But, I am inclined to be like you and will prolly wait to see how they update the library etc.  That being said, I will purchase it whenever everyone is ready to play game nights.  I own all the 64 games, so obviously that is not worth it for me, however, as soon as it wins on game night, it will be worth it for sure just to hang out with ya all!  Right now there are only 5 games with 4 player compatibility, so it's not 100% game night worthy unless we split into groups to play.  I will definitely put it on the poll though!

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

It WILL be on future game nights!  But, I am inclined to be like you and will prolly wait to see how they update the library etc.  That being said, I will purchase it whenever everyone is ready to play game nights.  I own all the 64 games, so obviously that is not worth it for me, however, as soon as it wins on game night, it will be worth it for sure just to hang out with ya all!  Right now there are only 5 games with 4 player compatibility, so it's not 100% game night worthy unless we split into groups to play.  I will definitely put it on the poll though!

Good to know. I've got plenty of N64 games too, so my only reason for playing them on Switch would be for the game nights.

• Agree 1

$20 for NES and SNES is fine for me.

$50 for just some more games… 😅that’s premium level pricing. It’s hard to justify paying premium pricing for an online service that is lacking so many features compared to Sony and Microsoft…

-very clumsy method for finding and adding friends

-no voice chat

-laggy multiplayer

-no premium socializing features 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, fsped09 said:

Last time you couldn't buy the nes/snes controllers unless you had the subscription. I don't know if that'll apply for the expansion pack. Will you need the to have that or just the $20 annual? No way I'm missing out on that N64 controller. 

It let me add them to cart earlier today with just the $20 annual. I'm not even sure you can buy the expansion pack yet.

1 hour ago, fsped09 said:

Last time you couldn't buy the nes/snes controllers unless you had the subscription. I don't know if that'll apply for the expansion pack. Will you need the to have that or just the $20 annual? No way I'm missing out on that N64 controller. 

It would have let me today, but I have no use for a 50 dollar Switch N64 controller.

12 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

First I want to say how refreshing it was to hear them say, "NES and Super NES....." I haven't heard it properly stated like that in a long time.

So the pricing remains at $20 per year for the original package or $50 per year to include N64 and Genesis. Does this seem lopsided to anyone else? An extra $30 for N64 and Genesis games? I don't even want to think what that price is in Canada.

Yeah for all the people in recent years trying to say NEZ SNEZ I want to like punch my screen whoever came up with that as it's like nails on a chalkboard, so it's nice to have something to throw in their faces because well the creator says so.

That said on price, I'm OUT.  Currently I have the family plan since my kid has a LITE so for us, that's a $50 price increase about which is grossly overpriced.  It's a larger fee increase on the family account vs standard, and under the old pricing the family one was actually more of a deal.

$20 to $50 (+30) for individual use
$35 to $80 (+45) for family use.

That just doesn't sit well with me, before it was a $15 spread between the two, now it's $30 so it's a larger amount for the same increase so a family package owner is being punished more.  Scaling, it should have been $35 to $65.  I don't get it, so not buying it.  I know my kid probably put a few months maybe on the AC thing but she doesn't care about N64 or Genesis, and I've got the stuff already...so this is not targeted to me in the slightest.

Also, I guess Sega is to blame on this, but $50 for the N64 controller and $50 for the Genesis one too?

N64 I get has a more unique mold, more buttons, analog and digital, almost makes sense.  But a 3 button Genesis pad for $50?  How?  The dual NES ones broken down are $30 each, the SNES sold alone at $30 too, they're comparable.

The lot of you who don't have use for the N64 controller yourselves will probably have a good scalping chance then. In 10 days we'll know how they are made, and if the parts can be used to refurb an original controller, there will be massive demand for them. Nintendo's limit of only NSO subscribers and only N pieces per person means each of you gets to scalp some.
  • Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, erac said:

The lot of you who don't have use for the N64 controller yourselves will probably have a good scalping chance then. In 10 days we'll know how they are made, and if the parts can be used to refurb an original controller, there will be massive demand for them. Nintendo's limit of only NSO subscribers and only N pieces per person means each of you gets to scalp some.

Nintendo should sell N64 replacement analog sticks on their website. They would make a killing.

Also Wavebird receivers

Edited by phart010

If anyone wants to join a 

6 hours ago, erac said:

Looks like it’s 4 per account and each controller is $50. Looks like they’re being scalped on eBay for $150 per controller. 

im pretty surprised they’re limiting it to 4 per account. The NES joy cons were 1 per account. Also surprised people are paying triple or more per controller when they say right on there site that there will be more in stock at the end of October 

I will give NSO credit for one thing: I was impressed enough with it to buy an $8 3-month subscription.  Had a great time playing SMB35 when it came out, as well as Tetris 99.

That said, not enough draw for me to pay for more than that, even at the base level.  (N64 level is right out).  I'm just not into multiplayer enough to pay for games I already own.

• Like 1

@Nintegageo: There's a difference here between this and console scalping. Nintendo's limits mean many people who may want new N64 sticks can't get them at all. So if you don't have any use for them yourself, passing the 4 on to people who want them is an useful service (and it doesn't hurt if it makes you some money!).

3 hours ago, phart010 said:

Nintendo should sell N64 replacement analog sticks on their website. They would make a killing.

Also Wavebird receivers

Grab yourself some of these. So much better than the OEM sticks and easy to replace yourself: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Joystick-GameCube-Sensitivity-nintendo-64/dp/B0136JPKIS

erac's comment is sucky, but he's not wrong.  Human garbage will be all over peddling those to the scared and impatient as largely people won't know they can wait a week or two for another drop of a lot for sale so they'll freak and eat it like idiots feeding the vicious cycle of abuses.

I almost grabbed one, but the obscene price of the service for the little you get for more than twice the price was a put off.  I probably should have since they all are USB standard left wired, would have been great to use on the PC with an emulator. 😄  I have the SNES one for that since I don't use the games on Switch, just own more than enough real + kits too, so why bother? 🙂

54 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Grab yourself some of these. So much better than the OEM sticks and easy to replace yourself: https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Joystick-GameCube-Sensitivity-nintendo-64/dp/B0136JPKIS

Do those really work all that great deadzone and all?  That has been the wrong issue with those things going on like 10 years now, solid stick, crap deadzone and/or lemon out of the box issues.