Jump to content
IGNORED

Switch Online Pricing Announced ($50)


Code Monkey
 Share

Recommended Posts

First I want to say how refreshing it was to hear them say, "NES and Super NES....." I haven't heard it properly stated like that in a long time.

So the pricing remains at $20 per year for the original package or $50 per year to include N64 and Genesis. Does this seem lopsided to anyone else? An extra $30 for N64 and Genesis games? I don't even want to think what that price is in Canada.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Editorials Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

50 divided by 12.... $4.16.

So the outrage here is that people have full access to Nintendo Switch Online content for.... four bucks a month?

I don't get it. 

It is relatively cheap by 2021 standards.  And we are spoiled by today's emulation options.  But the optics of $20 for a service and $30 for the add on is very head-scratching.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Administrator · Posted
27 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I feel that there's an underlying reason - they priced their online too low, and by far. This is surely intended to be a buffer for that initial mistake, without the need to 1) admit the mistake or 2) adjust the price of the base offering.

Bingo.  This is exactly how I feel about it.  They priced NSO way too low.  Honestly, I don't feel like $50 is crazy.  I'll probably try it out just to see how I like it - can always cancel later.  I'd like to see how they handle the Genesis/N64 stuff, and wanna give it a shot.

The nice thing about how they set it up here - is that people can still choose the cheaper option if they don't care about the "extras."  That's a nice option for people to have, who do like the current NSO.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

50 divided by 12.... $4.16.

So the outrage here is that people have full access to Nintendo Switch Online content for.... four bucks a month?

I don't get it. 

I’d feel better about it if the internet connection for multiplayer online games was better. It’s so poor compared to the competition. I mean, my PS+ collection for my PS5 has a more consistent quality lineup than the Switch service at a similar price point.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not the cost that's the problem.  It's the confusion as to why the difference between the two tiers is so high.  Then entry level choice seems cheaper than it should be for what it offers.  The higher tier seems super expensive for the additional features you get.

Either way, I'm sure I will try it out for a little bit.  At least until I finally get my game room put back together.  Once the old systems are back up and running, I might not care for the online retro games on the Switch anymore.  

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So did anyone order the controllers today?  I wasn't paying attention, so I missed out on the N64 controller and will have to get one from the next batch.  I did manage to order a Sega controller which seemed expensive for only a 3 button controller.  But whatever, I knew I was going to buy one regardless.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

So did anyone order the controllers today?  I wasn't paying attention, so I missed out on the N64 controller and will have to get one from the next batch.  I did manage to order a Sega controller which seemed expensive for only a 3 button controller.  But whatever, I knew I was going to buy one regardless.  

Forgot to try to order those. Both controllers seem expensive to me. But, I'll probably break down and do it. REALLY wish they went with a 6 button though. That's the biggest head scratcher for me with all this.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 pop a year for laggy and inferior emulation with an incredibly limited selection of games, when high-end FPGA and HDMI-solutions are readily available, alongside EverDrives?

Not to mention overpriced, albeit beautifully replicated, bluetooth controllers which introduce even more lag? That's a hard pass.

At the same time, I'm truly happy for those who will enjoy it.

Edited by ifightdragons
  • Like 5
  • Disagree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

So did anyone order the controllers today?  I wasn't paying attention, so I missed out on the N64 controller and will have to get one from the next batch.  I did manage to order a Sega controller which seemed expensive for only a 3 button controller.  But whatever, I knew I was going to buy one regardless.  

I had two of each in my cart, then found out the price of the the Expansion Pack and changed my mind. No point in owning them if I don't even have the service.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

First I want to say how refreshing it was to hear them say, "NES and Super NES....." I haven't heard it properly stated like that in a long time.

So the pricing remains at $20 per year for the original package or $50 per year to include N64 and Genesis. Does this seem lopsided to anyone else? An extra $30 for N64 and Genesis games? I don't even want to think what that price is in Canada.

 

The family package is $99,99 CAD and solo is $63,99 CAD

I don't think I'd be getting good value so I'm not getting it. I believe Nintendo is counting on AC Happy Home Paradise to reel the folks in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t think I’ll get this one. I was talking to some people at work about it and we had an interesting question. 
 

would you pay for it if it included all Nintendo DLC for switch games? At that point I would consider it since I don’t have the botw dlc or the smash dlc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Makar said:

Don’t think I’ll get this one. I was talking to some people at work about it and we had an interesting question. 
 

would you pay for it if it included all Nintendo DLC for switch games? At that point I would consider it since I don’t have the botw dlc or the smash dlc

This would probably make me consider it worthwhile.

But the price right now is way too much for me to consider it worthwhile.

Also their online is so bad, I’ve never had a good experience, so if these N64 games get an online option it will probably be laggy and not worth going online.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Member · Posted

Guys, it's just $2.50/mo. Sometimes I wonder if you kids even love Nintendo anymore.

Also, and correct me if I'm worng, but won't the multiplayer games be playable online? That's worth the price for sure.

Edited by RH
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, RH said:

Guys, it's just $2.50/mo. Sometimes I wonder if you kids even love Nintendo anymore.

Also, and correct me if I'm worng, but won't the multiplayer games be playable online? That's worth the price for sure.

I'm still going to pay for the basic online service just so I can have cloud saves. There are so many better ways to play the classic games collection that the ease of use isn't even worth it for me.

And you're right, I don't love Nintendo anymore. Outside of Zelda and Metroid, they've pretty much lost me.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's great that N64 games are being released for the Switch and can be played online, so maybe we can play them on future VGS Game Nights. However, I think I'm going to wait until more games are added. If Banjo-Kazooie is going to be included later, maybe Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, and Conker's Bad Fur Day might be added some day. GoldenEye, of course, would be nice too, but I'm not sure what the chances of it being included are. I think it's likely Nintendo will bring Mario Party 1-3 and Donkey Kong 64 (or at least one of those games) to Switch eventually, so I might be willing to spend that kind of money later this year or sometime next year.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...