IGNORED

Switch Online Pricing Announced ($50)

Code Monkey

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

erac's comment is sucky, but he's not wrong.  Human garbage will be all over peddling those to the scared and impatient as largely people won't know they can wait a week or two for another drop of a lot for sale so they'll freak and eat it like idiots feeding the vicious cycle of abuses.

I almost grabbed one, but the obscene price of the service for the little you get for more than twice the price was a put off.  I probably should have since they all are USB standard left wired, would have been great to use on the PC with an emulator. 😄  I have the SNES one for that since I don't use the games on Switch, just own more than enough real + kits too, so why bother? 🙂

Do those really work all that great deadzone and all?  That has been the wrong issue with those things going on like 10 years now, solid stick, crap deadzone and/or lemon out of the box issues.

I have only started using them so I couldn’t give a full review, but I haven’t personally had any issues. I wasn’t aware these had dead zone issues, I’ll look out for it.

I used it to replace a controller that had a stick that was like a 2/10 so this was a huge upgrade haha.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shmup said:

I have only started using them so I couldn’t give a full review, but I haven’t personally had any issues. I wasn’t aware these had dead zone issues, I’ll look out for it.

I used it to replace a controller that had a stick that was like a 2/10 so this was a huge upgrade haha.

Yeah sure I get it, see how it goes, you got me curious.  In one way I'd prefer it was an N64 stick, but then it would have the same slippery when wet problem which blows while the GC one never had that problem as it's a different texture and material so it grips just excellently.

3 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah sure I get it, see how it goes, you got me curious.  In one way I'd prefer it was an N64 stick, but then it would have the same slippery when wet problem which blows while the GC one never had that problem as it's a different texture and material so it grips just excellently.

I’ve been testing a few games this morning because I have a 64 stick that is about a 7/10.

It is more sensitive with the GC stick but I can still do slow walks quiet easily in Banjo and Mario. OoT was fine and so was Kirby 64.

Mario Kart and Goldeneye I do prefer the original 64 controller. The GC stick is just a bit too hard to aim with.

I’d say definitely worth it if your stick is totally gone like mine was but keep an original controller around for the more precise games like Goldeneye.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I’ve been testing a few games this morning because I have a 64 stick that is about a 7/10.

It is more sensitive with the GC stick but I can still do slow walks quiet easily in Banjo and Mario. OoT was fine and so was Kirby 64.

Mario Kart and Goldeneye I do prefer the original 64 controller. The GC stick is just a bit too hard to aim with.

I’d say definitely worth it if your stick is totally gone like mine was but keep an original controller around for the more precise games like Goldeneye.

Sounds like what I've picked up on what had been (guess still is) considered the better end of them that works.  Generally fine, but something needing precision like a FPS isn't going to be a happy situation.  Shame though, really wonder why it's so hard to make a 25 year old joystick that actually works right.  It's kind of pathetic.

42 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Sounds like what I've picked up on what had been (guess still is) considered the better end of them that works.  Generally fine, but something needing precision like a FPS isn't going to be a happy situation.  Shame though, really wonder why it's so hard to make a 25 year old joystick that actually works right.  It's kind of pathetic.

Have you heard of the Retro Fighters Brawler 64 controller? That’s got some great reviews.

2 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Have you heard of the Retro Fighters Brawler 64 controller? That’s got some great reviews.

I remember it, that was pretty big when it popped up given the far better joystick hat and comfortable more standard pad layout, just never had the spare funds for it back then as it was pick a controller or a game or two...I picked the game(s) 😛

• Like 1

People think the $20 price for NSO is too low? I think it’s too high. Sure, it’s cheap relative to the other console manufacturers’ online services but it’s way too high for what you’re getting. I was happy to pay that at the beginning because I thought it meant Nintendo would improve their online service and bring it into the current decade, but it didn’t change at all. The exact same issues except now I’m paying for them.

The others are right that it’s the optic that makes this whole thing look bad. $20 NSO is the base package, and then the expansion, the optional bonus, is more than double. It’s just weird. If they had made the base tier $30 and the N64+Genesis stuff $20 that would look and feel better IMO.

Anyway, I already have the N64 and Genesis games listed so I don’t really see the need for me personally to spend the extra $30, as much as I want Sin and Punishment in my face.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Strange said:

People think the $20 price for NSO is too low? I think it’s too high. Sure, it’s cheap relative to the other console manufacturers’ online services but it’s way too high for what you’re getting. I was happy to pay that at the beginning because I thought it meant Nintendo would improve their online service and bring it into the current decade, but it didn’t change at all. The exact same issues except now I’m paying for them.

Agreed. We now live a subscription model world and it all starts to add up. Netflix, Amazon, Apple, Disney, Gaming etc etc you get a few going and it does start to add up to more than just a coffee per month. 

Also, it’s a bad service. The online is horrible compared to the competition and very little effort has been put into fixing it. On principle I don’t reward bad service and Nintendo online definitely doesn’t deserve my cash at this point in time so the expansion is even further away for me.

I always thought that they were going to release improved features as time went on. And they did with cloud saves.. but since then nothing else really got added. 

They say that the reason they are limiting networking and messaging features and voice chat is to protect the children. I don’t buy that. I suspect that they wouldn’t be able to support voice chat even if they wanted to. Voice data uses up too much bandwidth, which is why the games that do support voice chat send the voice chat through your mobile providers network rather than the Nintendo network.

And I don’t want to hear that we are lacking a robust friend networking and chatting system because we need to protect the children when we already have a robust parental controls system implemented and we have mature games with actual nudity and violence available on the system now. If we need to protect the children, can’t we just limit these features for children’s accounts with parental controls?

I suspect the real reason we don’t have modern online social/networking features on Switch online is that Nintendo simply doesn’t want to invest in making it more robust and they think that people are still gonna pay up even if they don’t improve the service. 

There’s really no excuse for not having voice chat nowadays. Back in the day it was understandable because it would have required for Nintendo to build a data center which is a huge investment and takes tremendous planning to get right in the beginning also significant costs to maintain.

But today we have pay as you go multi tenant data centers that rent out server bandwidth and allow you to scale up as needed. There’s really no initial investment or maintenance requirements, you just pay a subscription fee and the data center handles all the specialized work and maintenance. It’s 2021, Nintendo needs to get with the times

• Agree 1

On 10/16/2021 at 5:38 PM, Shmup said:

On 10/16/2021 at 8:14 PM, Tanooki said:

Those Gamecube type stick replacements are unnecessary, and like Tanooki mentioned it is terrible for FPS and anything with precision movements. They’re also a completely different way of measuring movement which doesn’t help. I’m not sure why someone would choose them over just replacing the bowls and gears from Kitsch Bent. Thus only replacing the wear-able parts while retaining the proper electronics

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, phart010 said:

There’s really no excuse for not having voice chat nowadays. Back in the day it was understandable because it would have required for Nintendo to build a data center which is a huge investment and takes tremendous planning to get right in the beginning also significant costs to maintain.

How would you do voice chat on a video game? How would that even work?

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, erac said:

BW isn't the reason they use the mobile app, it's about control. 32 kbps is entirely workable for speech with speex or opus.

I’m no expert on this subject, but I believe voice data would essentially double the bandwidth requirements per user on the server. Let’s say 30kbps for gaming data and additional 30kbps for voice. You have 80 million switch users, let’s say 20% online at a time, so 16 million streaming users. Also have to account for downloading games and updates. Additionally you may want extra servers for redundancy. 

In the end it’s a lot of servers. For reference, here is a 2013 article on XBox data centers:

https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2013/05/24/microsoft-will-back-xbox-one-300000-servers

Basically saying original 2002 XBox Live started with 500 servers. With 360, they bumped it to 3,000 servers. By 2013 XBox Live was supported by 15,000 servers and they eventually beefed up to 300,000 servers.

Nintendo won’t need 300,000 servers, because they probably won’t be doing cloud gaming. But even the bare minimum like what the XBox Live service launched with was 500 servers, which is basically a small datacenter. I think with Switch we should at least be at the level that the 360 was at in terms of online gaming features 

Edited by phart010

19 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

How would you do voice chat on a video game? How would that even work?

They have already enabled Bluetooth audio device pairing on Switch now. So you get a Bluetooth headset with audio+microphone.

There’s many different ways of implementing voice chat, but the most basic implementation would be to have constant voice chatting between all people that are actively playing a game together. You could also have the option to mute people that are too loud/annoying. 

A richer experience would be to enable voice chatting between you and your friends that are online even if you are not actively playing a game together. This is for planning what games you want to play together. 

At the end of the day, you really just need to do what XBox Live does. Even if you don’t have all the features, at least have some of them. I mean if Nintendo was just acting like they were trying, I’d be happy. But honestly I feel like they just don’t care

Edited by phart010

@LeatherRebel5150 they finally got the parts back in stock?  I gave up awhile back and just got rid of this jacked up controller as I couldn't source joystick repair bits for like 6mo at least, so that's good to know.

As far as the switch plan goes, in all fairness, they're asking too much.  Personally to me, unless they add some serious features bringing it up to snuff with the other guys, it needs like a 35% price reduction to be right for what is offered.

This is a good balance between both what is being added, but also what the competition offers on their tiers. At $35 off the Family $80 plan drops to $52, and the $50 individual $32.50. The way I see it, the other two big fish they have like a $60 plan a year which has all that Nintendo offers, but things NIntendo won't/can't/refuses to add due to their overkill nannying behavior about kids and protections. I think that merits some form of a deduction, but nothing so gross considering they do have some core solid features.

But right now at the price they're at, it's just ridiculous to ask that much of the consumer, notably more than the other guys too which is some cast iron balls stunt when you get a single game DLC package(AC) and just a handful selection of N64 and Genesis games. That's just not worth going up 150% on single, and a 128% increase on the family package.

Despite the larger appearance of the increase in the single user, the larger impact is on the family as it jumps $45 to $80 from just $35. It's actually now cheaper to have one boosted single account and one standard single account than a family one.
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

why would you want to talk to someone while playing a game?

So you can coordinate gameplay in real time? "Watch out! There's a xenomorph behind you!"

Or you know, have fun with your friends?

It just depends on the game and what you want to do. Some people do role play where they stay in their made up character. GTA RP is an example.

Most of the time it's like if you're playing with buddies on the same couch, except now their couch is in Philadelphia while yours is in Tokyo.

7 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Does the other person need to be playing the same game?

Usually for in game chats, like Phasmophobia.

But for PC at least you can just set up a discord server and shoot the shit while you play different games. I don't know very many people who would do that, but it can be done.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1