IGNORED

Switch Online Pricing Announced ($50)

Code Monkey

Events Team · Posted
18 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

There are games where you can talk to other people also playing the game? Is this something new? I've never heard of this before, why would you want to talk to someone while playing a game? Does the other person need to be playing the same game?

In-game chat (voice or text) has been a thing for like 25+ years. It's been around for longer than I've been alive, haha

Edited by ZeldaFreak
  • Like 2
  • Eyeroll 1

9 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

So you can coordinate gameplay in real time? "Watch out! There's a xenomorph behind you!"

Or you know, have fun with your friends?

It just depends on the game and what you want to do. Some people do role play where they stay in their made up character. GTA RP is an example.

Most of the time it's like if you're playing with buddies on the same couch, except now their couch is in Philadelphia while yours is in Tokyo.

Usually for in game chats, like Phasmophobia.

But for PC at least you can just set up a discord server and shoot the shit while you play different games. I don't know very many people who would do that, but it can be done.

Thanks, I had no idea this was even possible. I also only learned what Discord is on Friday, I had to ask a co-worker to explain it to me. It just looked like 30 people having different conversations in the same window.

Just now, Gloves said:

Do you just like, not play new games at all, ever? It's incredibly common to have in-game voice chat. Like, INCREDIBLY common.

I have literally never played another game with another person remotely and I had never heard of being able to talk to someone else you're playing with. Generally if I'm playing a game I would prefer to do it solo as other players just slow me down and I definitely wouldn't want to have a conversation with someone while playing.

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
20 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Thanks, I had no idea this was even possible. I also only learned what Discord is on Friday, I had to ask a co-worker to explain it to me. It just looked like 30 people having different conversations in the same window.

I have literally never played another game with another person remotely and I had never heard of being able to talk to someone else you're playing with. Generally if I'm playing a game I would prefer to do it solo as other players just slow me down and I definitely wouldn't want to have a conversation with someone while playing.

I've gotta say man you have a really interesting mix of knowledge and obliviousness. Not a bad thing, it's just interesting. I'd never have guessed that a tech guy who works in NFT stuff would never have heard of Discord, much less one who plays video games (and participates on a video game forum) yet doesn't know that in-game voice chat is a thing.

It's our differences that make us interesting lol.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

In-game chat (voice or text) has been a thing for like 25+ years. It's been around for longer than I've been alive, haha

The files... ARE IN THE COMPUTER? It's so simple. - zOOlander computer -  quickmeme

And before Code Monkey says he doesn't get the joke, it's from Zoolander. Aaaaannnnnnnd just in case he says he works in IT so he knows the files are in the computer, I know, it's a joke. That should cover all my bases 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Generally if I'm playing a game I would prefer to do it solo as other players just slow me down and I definitely wouldn't want to have a conversation with someone while playing.

The games that lend themselves to in-game chat tend to be collaborative. Survival crafting, FPS with co-op where you're in a squad, etc., or role-playing games where you adopt a character role and play pretend (don't knock it until you've tried it. 🙂

But you can also find it in battle royales with a lot of trash talking. Admittedly not the most positive atmosphere, but some people enjoy it.

Most humans are social creatures and find the conversations add something.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I've gotta say man you have a really interesting mix of knowledge and obliviousness. Not a bad thing, it's just interesting. I'd never have guessed that a tech guy who works in NFT stuff would never have heard of Discord, much less one who plays video games (and participates on a video game forum) yet doesn't know that in-game voice chat is a thing.

It's our differences that make us interesting lol.

Funny story, I actually was trying to figure out Discord so that I could market my upcoming NFT collection.

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

The files... ARE IN THE COMPUTER? It's so simple. - zOOlander computer -  quickmeme

And before Code Monkey says he doesn't get the joke, it's from Zoolander. Aaaaannnnnnnd just in case he says he works in IT so he knows the files are in the computer, I know, it's a joke. That should cover all my bases 😉 

I've seen Zoolander.

Okay thanks, I get it now. People chat while playing games, makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Code Monkey is becoming shadow Estil. 😛

That's not true at all.  I have nothing at all against and totally understand the appeal of things like online multiplayer (with chatting/speaking with other players) or smartphones/tablets...in fact I think they're all fascinating (with smartphones being kinda like electronic Swiss Army knives!)

They're just not for me.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Estil said:

That's not true at all.  I have nothing at all against and totally understand the appeal of things like online multiplayer (with chatting/speaking with other players) or smartphones/tablets...in fact I think they're all fascinating (with smartphones being kinda like electronic Swiss Army knives!)

They're just not for me.

He doesn't seem to be totally against it, either, but you both seem to be way behind on things that have been common knowledge for years.

I'm not knocking either of your tastes in video games, just that a two second Google search will answer most questions both of you seem to have.

If you ask those questions here, we will answer them, but you also have to accept a little ribbing now and then. 🙂

Edited by Tulpa

22 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

He doesn't seem to be totally against it, either, but you both seem to be way behind on things that have been common knowledge for years.

I'm not knocking either of your tastes in video games, just that a two second Google search will answer most questions both of you seem to have.

If you ask those questions here, we will answer them, but you also have to accept a little ribbing now and then. 🙂

Well at least you didn't do that smart ass "How to use Google" thing...

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

"Let me Google that for you"?

Yeah, that's been done to death. I have fresher material. 😛

Yeah I can and do use google/wiki and all that but sometimes I like to hear what y'all's (that's a Kentucky saying, y'all wouldn't understand 😄 ) experiences with these kinds of things are.

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Just saying that $4 a month or $7 a month for a family plan is straight up NOT TOO EXPENSIVE. I get it's a matter of opinion but that is just not in any sense of the word true. You might think it's not worth the value but that's a different conversation.

It’s not about the price. It’s about whether you want to reinforce bad behavior 

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Gloves said:

What bad behavior? 

I would wager @phart010 is referring to Nintendo's never-ending quest to continuously milk the public out of money again and again for the same old content.  How many times have people bought the original Super Mario Bros., SMB3, Metroid, etc.?  People proved that in the Wii/Wii U era Nintendo wasn't even providing the content themselves, they literally just downloaded ROMs off the internet (like everybody else) and put it on their eShop with a price tag on it, re-selling the game to many people who had already purchased the content at least once if not 2-3 times by that point.  Doing things like initially blocking the ability to transfer purchases made on your Wii system to your Wii U (let alone sharing the content across devices, the way literally every other modern console maker has done via accounts in each respective app store), then making it impossible to transfer those same games via an account, a memory card save, etc., on to the next generation Nintendo system, the Switch, requiring people to either make individual purchases all over again or continuously pay for an online Nintendo subscription in order to maintain access.

Some people will call it "good business," but I just call it a big company being shitty.  I might re-buy games on my own over time, but I shouldn't be actively pursued or forced by the company I've already provided with money to do so.  Nintendo always gets talked up by big fans as if they're somehow the underdog or little guy, but really, their business practices are as atrocious as, if not worse, than any those employed by their direct competitors.

I won't argue that Nintendo hasn't done crappy things in the past, but it doesn't change the fact that Nintendo has consistently offered much more/better product for the money compared to the competition.  Claiming that paying for their services is reinforcing bad behavior is a bit of a stretch.  Compared to the competition, Nintendo's "behavior" is about as close to perfect as you are going to find.  

• Like 1