IGNORED

Switch Online Pricing Announced ($50)

Code Monkey

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I won't argue that Nintendo hasn't done crappy things in the past, but it doesn't change the fact that Nintendo has consistently offered much more/better product for the money compared to the competition.  Claiming that paying for their services is reinforcing bad behavior is a bit of a stretch.

Go check out this video, there's lots and lots of charts that show exactly how bad their offerings were compared to the competition starting in the N64/PS1 era until the Wii came out, then again in the Wii U era.  Going from a free online play to a paid online play environment really feels like a bait and switch with Nintendo, but being able to play "free" classic games was a nice trade off.  Bumping that cost to play more classic games (of the successive generations) on the same old hardware again seems like a bait and switch.

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

Compared to the competition, Nintendo's "behavior" is about as close to perfect as you are going to find.  

That's a whataboutism if I ever saw one.  They all have their shitty moments, and Nintendo is as bad, if not worse, than any of its competition, period.  They're not longer the little guy, or the underdog, or the savior of the industry, they're just a bunch of money hungry executives who have once again lost their way and are sticking it to the consumer (fanboys especially) however they can to make a quick buck before their market dries up.

20 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Go check out this video, there's lots and lots of charts that show exactly how bad their offerings were compared to the competition starting in the N64/PS1 era until the Wii came out, then again in the Wii U era.  Going from a free online play to a paid online play environment really feels like a bait and switch with Nintendo, but being able to play "free" classic games was a nice trade off.  Bumping that cost to play more classic games (of the successive generations) on the same old hardware again seems like a bait and switch.

That's a whataboutism if I ever saw one.  They all have their shitty moments, and Nintendo is as bad, if not worse, than any of its competition, period.  They're not longer the little guy, or the underdog, or the savior of the industry, they're just a bunch of money hungry executives who have once again lost their way and are sticking it to the consumer (fanboys especially) however they can to make a quick buck before their market dries up.

You are entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it is.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Gloves said:

What bad behavior? 

I touched on this in one of my previous posts in this thread. First and foremost, this is an “online service”, hence the name. It’s not a new version of virtual console.

When it first came out they rightly acknowledged the shortcomings of the service, offered it for free and they said they would work hard to improve the service. Well they added NES games and then started charging $20 for it. Ok fair enough. Maybe they needed some money to get the capital to build the required infrastructure.

That was in 2018. Now it is almost 2022. The only upgrade we’ve seen to the online service is cloud saving (for some games). To be frank the online service sucks. They’re not even trying to improve it.

Now they’re wanting to charge $50 for more games…? What ever happened to working hard to make this service “world-class” ??

The reason they started charging $20 in the beginning was to acknowledge that this service didn’t have the same level of features as XBox Live or PlayStation Network. Well now they want to charge the same price as those services, but we still don’t have the same level of features. How do you justify that?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I’d happily pay $100 a year if it meant an improved online gaming experience. It’s not about the money. I refuse to support Nintendo Switch Online if it is just going to be Virtual Console 2.0

Add some new online features dammit.

Seriously playing online games on Switch is lame. You connect with random strangers, who you can’t even talk with. All you can do is send them a 😀 or a 👍. And then after a play session, you never see or hear from them again. If you enjoyed playing with that person, too bad there’s no way to ever connect again. You may as well just be playing with a bot, you’d never know the difference.

Connecting with friends is also lame. You need to share some giant string of digits as a friend code. Why can’t they just make it simple like the other services? There’s no onboard messaging service either. Basically you can only connect with people you know in real life who explicitly send you their friend code by an external means like text message on your cellphone.

Nintendo hides behind this myth that it doesn’t offer these features in order to protect children from cyber predators. They have already implemented a system of parental controls to limit specific functionality, why not just use that to protect the children?

Also what are they referencing to justify this claim that the cyber predators will harm the kids through online services? Is there a cyber predator crisis present on Steam, PlayStation or XBOX online services??

Edited by phart010
  • Like 2

@phart010 Your feelings perfectly sum up the way I feel about their Online service. I refuse to reward bad customer experiences. When the competition is absolutely blowing you out of the water, especially Xbox gamepass, you really need to step up and stop hiding behind nostalgia.

Like phart010, I'd actually pay more money if it meant reliable online servers, proper chat functionality, free DLC for games like Smash and BotW and some of their modern games to play for free each month. Get something like Mario Rabbids on there for free to online subscribers. Sony and Microsoft are offering free modern games, Nintendo need to get with the times.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Estil said:

YES, I am out of touch. 😞  That's not really the children's (Gen Z) fault though.  It's my own choice/personal needs, that's all.

6 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I'm not out of touch because of my personal choices, it's because my friends are over 50 and don't tell me about the newest voice chat video game.

Honestly Ive had that meme in my phone for a long time and thought this is the rare case where I could use it lol. While I usually know about “new” age stuff I usually avoid it myself. Ive never played any game with voice chat, or online with people. Never been interested in it

On 10/19/2021 at 2:55 PM, darkchylde28 said:

I would wager @phart010 is referring to Nintendo's never-ending quest to continuously milk the public out of money again and again for the same old content.  How many times have people bought the original Super Mario Bros., SMB3, Metroid, etc.? 

Well, no one made anyone buy them "many times". *shrugs* I mean, having the option is better than not having the option.

21 minutes ago, Estil said:

Well, no one made anyone buy them "many times". *shrugs* I mean, having the option is better than not having the option.

Yes but some people, and I'll openly admit I am one of them, are bitter about buying said games on the Virtual Console only to have Nintendo shove the middle finger in our faces.

When digital game marketplaces started popping up like Steam & GOG, everyone was worried they would never be able to get their games after a few years and would have to re buy them. Turns out it was "friendly Nintendo" who were the dicks.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Estil said:

No ones "making" people buy them now, but it's still a topic with some harsh feelings for a bunch of people.  On the NES alone (not referencing console variations from other regions or label variations), SMB got released at least 3 times (stand alone, SMB/Duck Hunt, SMB/Duck Hunt/WCTM.  Then again on SNES via All Stars.  Then on the Virtual Console, first for the Wii, then the 3DS, then for the Wii U.  Now, as part of the online service for the Switch.

The problem is that for folks who played the game on the old hardware and wanted to play it again, they had to shell out.  For the vast majority, ok, no problem.  They ponied up when they got a Wii.  Then, as I understand it, that same game was locked to the individual Wii that a person owned (versus being available to download onto any/all that a single person had registered with their information/account), and only the one that they made the purchase on, and could not be transferred.  Then, as I understand it again, they were required to re-buy it if they also got a 3DS and wanted to play it on there was well.  Then, Nintendo initially blocked people from being able to transfer any content from their Wii virtual library to the Wii U one when they upgraded their systems, requiring people to re-buy all that content if they wanted to (continue to) enjoy it on Nintendo's newest and greatest; after enough actual dissent from "fans," Nintendo allowed a one-time transfer of a library from a Wii to a Wii U, but that was it, and if the console ever died, etc., that was it, they had to re-buy everything once again.  And now, with the Switch, there's no Virtual Console, so you've got to subscribe to their online service if you want access to those games on the new hardware, essentially buying them (albeit for a lot less if you divide the cost across the current library offered) all over again.

So yeah, there's no direct coercion going on, but if people want to continue to be good drones to Nintendo's pocketbook but also want to continue to enjoy content they've previously purchased on older systems (that they either don't use or possess anymore), they're being indirectly strong armed into ponying up again.

All the other services allow you to keep your library of purchases "forever," across any and all systems that you own that will play those games (PS1 games on PSP, Vita, and PS3/PS4/PS5, for instance) versus artificially abandoning them every hardware refresh.  That's just trashy and despicable on Nintendo's part, especially how they (and rabid fanboys) always try to play up how family and consumer friendly they are versus their competitors.  They've got Mario and basically gatekeep their content to keep it much more family friendly than the competition most of the time, sure, but their business practices have always left a lot to be desired, and it's obvious lots of folks don't actually think about those when forming an opinion about the company, they just buy into the sugary sweet veneer.

11 hours ago, Shmup said:

Yes but some people, and I'll openly admit I am one of them, are bitter about buying said games on the Virtual Console only to have Nintendo shove the middle finger in our faces.

When digital game marketplaces started popping up like Steam & GOG, everyone was worried they would never be able to get their games after a few years and would have to re buy them. Turns out it was "friendly Nintendo" who were the dicks.

Bingo.  It's like for some folks they see the smiles and big bright colors of Mario and their critical thinking skills just shut off for a while.  Nintendo was incredibly dickish in the 80s and 90s when we all loved them, and they could do no wrong, but you had to look at how they were treating the companies that essentially propped up their business (third party developers, retailers, etc.).  The fact that they were taken to court for price fixing then settled (in the form of coupons sent to any/every Nintendo customer that they could identify) to make the charges go away speaks volumes, but obviously isn't loud enough for some folks to hear.  The stuff with the virtual console(s) is just one of the latest bits of icing on the cake, with the deeply invested refusing to realize that it's not actually icing--it's shit.

Like Nintendo games all you want, but FFS, don't defend the company as if they're not a bunch of shitty executives doing everything they can behind the scenes to fuck over their customer base.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
12 hours ago, Shmup said:

I can't imagine anyone was fearful of this with GOG specifically, being that they are DRM-free. That's the whole point of the platform, is being able to download and OWN your digital purchases. 

• Agree 2

I went from super hyped for this to out. NSO does not offer 1/10th of the features that are standard from its competitors.  The $30 difference is to catch the reminiscing 30 something year old with kids that would like to show the kids Mario Kart but doesn't want to or can't pay $100 for a system, another $90 for 3 additional controllers, $40 for Mario Kart, and another $40 to $80 for a couple more games. The expansion pak is not directed at us.

Nintendo saw those NES and SNES CIB and Sealed prices, then looked at their $20 plan, then back at the prices, then back at their plan and went, "We priced that entirely too low." I don't agree because the overall service is subpar, but money is money.

The base membership is going to get a price jump at some point.  The consumer will eventually be retroactively paying for all the NES and SNES content.

3 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Honestly, no voice chat online option should be the standard. People are so shitty. Wanna talk to friends? There are apps. That's this curmudgeon's opinion.

I get what you're saying, but you're talking about consoles which basically don't have any sort of built-in, real time multitasking capability.  So running an app to chat with people on said console while simultaneously playing a game most likely isn't going to happen.  Not everybody owns a PC, or a smart phone, so if it's not happening on the console, it's an impossibility for a not insignificant amount of people.  I have both, but I'd certainly be annoyed and pissed off at having to use multiple hardware platforms to accomplish something as simple as chatting with my friends while playing a game with them.  It's awfully awkward for my wife every game night that Switch games are played, as she has to have her laptop open and semi precariously near her so she can keep up with voice and text chat while also having to hang onto her Switch.  If Nintendo's hardware is so great and capable, it shouldn't be any big deal to do basic voice chat while also running a game.  The fact that they haven't incorporated the function by this time points to Nintendo's excutives either still having their heads up their rear ends as to what functions people want out of online, their system not actually being powerful enough to incorporate the functionality, or both.

Anybody having chat on for anyone other than their friends at this point is either a troll or technologically backward enough that they don't realize that they can open a chat (on every other, non-Nintendo console) with whoever they want (individually or as a group), independent of games, which continues to go on during whatever game they're playing, even if every person in the chat plays something different.  It's literally a standard function of every console and online gaming service at this point, save for Nintendo's.  They're the N64 controller of online chat at this point.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

This is misleading, as Switch Online is STILL just $20, you're acting like the $30 expansion is mandatory.

I think it’s technically still accurate with or without the expansion since N64 and Genesis are still considered classic games. Also it would be a more closer to apples to apples comparison to do the expansion pack rather than the $20 option considering the volume of games available on the Sony and XBox service.

I don’t like being negative about this, but I don’t think it’s just me or even a small faction being unfair. If you just search for ‘Switch online’ everything has a negative slant to it.When there’s a large portion of the intended audience that find the service indigestible, it’s time for Nintendo to recalibrate 

19 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Honestly, no voice chat online option should be the standard. People are so shitty. Wanna talk to friends? There are apps. That's this curmudgeon's opinion.

Voice chat is optional on PS and Xbox... as you have the option to turn it off and on. Nintendo makes that choice for you by not including it.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, Strange said:

You’re allowed to like Nintendo and still criticize aspects of Nintendo. 

People thinking it’s not a good value or that the service isn’t up to modern standards are valid opinions for people to hold.

How dare you imply that there's a spectrum of opinions based on various internal and external circumstances. Tch. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1