IGNORED

Switch Online Pricing Announced ($50)

Code Monkey

Events Helper · Posted
On 10/21/2021 at 10:33 AM, Gloves said:

I can't imagine anyone was fearful of this with GOG specifically, being that they are DRM-free. That's the whole point of the platform, is being able to download and OWN your digital purchases. 

didn't they add a Downloader and require u to login  to play on gog now?  also, they haven't updated some games to work with windows 10, I know I have to run a virtual console to play commandos

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

didn't they add a Downloader and require u to login  to play on gog now?  also, they haven't updated some games to work with windows 10, I know I have to run a virtual console to play commandos

They provide an entirely optional downloader called GOG Galaxy which functions similarly to Steam, however the DRM-free nature remains. You have the option, as ever, to download the source installers which let you play the games without all the other stuff.

image.png

• Agree 1

As far as GoG goes I've been there since the early days, and despite using Galaxy these days, anything I do buy, I double download the exe files and shove them on a backup device.  I will always buy from them first before Steam, even if it takes 6mo to a year plus, if I know it'll go there too -- I wait.

• Agree 1

On 10/21/2021 at 2:14 PM, Nintegageo said:

Honestly, no voice chat online option should be the standard. People are so shitty. Wanna talk to friends? There are apps. That's this curmudgeon's opinion.

Try playing multiplayer games with Discord or any other voice app open. It's not fun. There are multiplayer searches within the game and ways to post in order to look for players for a game session. Though it's not perfect you can post key terms such as "Must have a mic, no background noise, no 420" to give a few examples. If someone is toxic, just kick them and find other people. These features are not available on the Switch and it really makes the experience of multiplayer games on the Switch that much worse. It's not fun to have to try to balance out the voice chat, out of the game and the in game sounds. Not everyone is going to have the proper tech to do so and even then, it's a chore to work out. On XBOX with a few adjustments you can get that balance much easier and it can be adjusted even more if you  have a proper headset. I get that the Nintendo is aimed towards kids, but that's why there should be strict parental controls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mega Tank said:

On XBOX with a few adjustments you can get that balance much easier and it can be adjusted even more if you  have a proper headset. I get that the Nintendo is aimed towards kids, but that's why there should be strict parental controls.

There ARE strict parental controls already. That’s why the kid friendly argument from Nintendo sounds hollow .

2 hours ago, erac said:

How will the strict parental controls prevent the other person from saying something bad?

Realistically, if they get reported (and reviewed), they'll only do so once.  Bans from voice chat and/or the platform because of toxicity, hate speech, etc., are far from uncommon for people who don't know how to behave.

Hey my kid got a physical copy of Minecraft for Switch yesterday on her birthday and is getting into it, but is a bit confused.

I had it way way back in the day, the beta and it was pre-microsoft obviously from mojang, the windows/java version I guess.  I still have it, but from my understanding it's so old MS won't honor it, so I can't like update it to the windows version that'll sync with my kid isn't that right?

She wanted help but I really don't want to buy the damn game twice.  I take it those like decade old scholastic books on how to harvest, how to combat, how to redstone are still at some level valuable as a starting point?  Half price sells them for like $3/ea I think it could help.  Anyone here up on the game?

The NSO is dead to me for not putting Earthbound on it yet.

Honestly, the biggest grievance I have for the service is the quality and quantity of releases on the NES and SNES library. I was expecting more cooler titles to happen more frequently but it seems mostly at a snail pace with titles that no one really asked for, even though they do manage to put in a gem now and then.

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Hey my kid got a physical copy of Minecraft for Switch yesterday on her birthday and is getting into it, but is a bit confused.

I had it way way back in the day, the beta and it was pre-microsoft obviously from mojang, the windows/java version I guess.  I still have it, but from my understanding it's so old MS won't honor it, so I can't like update it to the windows version that'll sync with my kid isn't that right?

She wanted help but I really don't want to buy the damn game twice.  I take it those like decade old scholastic books on how to harvest, how to combat, how to redstone are still at some level valuable as a starting point?  Half price sells them for like $3/ea I think it could help.  Anyone here up on the game?

Your Java Minecraft account should be good forever, even after the buyout by Microsoft.  So long as you can remember what email you used to set it up and still have access to it, you should be able to reset it and get into it.

However, that will only help you so much, as the version on Switch (and consoles, phones, tablets, etc.) is what's commonly called the "Bedrock" edition, and isn't at all compatible with the Java version.  You'd be able to play on your computer and show her generally how to do stuff, but there are some differences between the two versions (pretty extreme ones when it comes to redstone), and you wouldn't be able to play together.  If, however, you pick up a version for another semi-current console (PS4, XBONE, even a decently powerful smartphone or 2-3 year old tablet), you would be able to play together, as all of those devices are now running the same version of the game.

If you want to go the book route, more power to you, and you're on the right general track with the "how to" books from years past to current date.  However, it will be a lot cheaper, and you'll both probably get a lot more out of it if you just look up some videos on YouTube on how to do stuff.  I recommend watching anything by members of the HermitCraft server, as those guys do a lot of fantastic builds and redstone engineering, and many of them do (or have done) basic "how to" videos on design, gameplay, redstone, etc.

Should you have any specific questions, feel free to kick them my way and I'll do what I can to answer them.  I still play regularly, although it is on the Java version, so YMMV in regard to the bits where the two versions differ, but all the basics are identical.

@darkchylde28 I did some poking around a bit after that post before coming back here.  I did figure out that much about bedrock vs java.  I went and just converted my account as I wasn't using it anyway.  I only really care as she's complaining about wanting to play and I can't so it's utterly useless.  Infuriating they never emailed me though back in 2019-2020, those fools gave a free upgrade away for about a year if you surrendered the java account and did the conversion you got a pass to get bedrock at no charge.  That kind of stings, $30 stings. 😕

Good to know about Hermit and the books.  The thing is, she's just allowed a couple hours a day to play, I could probably extend that here and there given I played with her since it would be still limited.  She has issues, and if I didn't have a 2hr kill switch on the switch it would be literally all day with her.  So since screens (other than TV) are limited, internet is not really doable either, so the books would be an excellent reference point to learn how to make tools, basic building materials, and so on.

So far from what I've seen in her land she found this nice little town with some animals in pens and stuff, but also having to deal with the zombies at night.  They kind of kicked her ass at first, didn't get you needed shelter so I told her hand dig out a cliff wall and make a space which to seal yourself in.  She then somehow started killing a few of them at some point, got a gold helmet she said off one of the kills which I suppose probably is pretty nice.

Back when I played it java was it, it was rough.  NO towns, just those creepers some bat things in caves, skeletons and zombies.  There was zero help, had to just dig and hope to find stuff, often I'd get crap maps that had little resources and no matter how deep I'd spiral down, never did find a cube of redstone so I got fed up and bailed on it probably a decade ago only checking it out probably 5-7 years back for a day or two before erasing it again.  I had bound it to my ancient gmail account so I had no issue ever recovering the game, but it wasn't fun.  What she has seems more varied, fluid, overall just less crappy to start from.  I'm kind of tempted to pop down the $30 and just see.

Events Helper · Posted
6 hours ago, phart010 said:

Anyone tried out Switch Online Expansion?

I actually did, so far, Im not impressed, but let me see how it is if/when I get a damned n64 controller.  So far, just the controls suck for me, but have heard reports of it being super laggy, i didn't play enough to really decide for myself as i was trying to figure out how to use a pro conrtoller as an n64 controller, and let me tell you it sux.

Apparently, the quality of the emulation isn't great right now. There have been reports of (extra) framerate issues, display problems, and freezing.

In addition to the Virtual Console versions, the graphics in Zelda: Collector's Edition and Ocarina of Time Master Quest for GameCube are also displayed more accurately.

Edited by MegaMan52

5 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

The switch picture is how Zelda looks on the UltraHDMI. If you turn off the fog. 

On 10/27/2021 at 10:08 PM, cj_robot said:

What's wrong with N64 games?

Everyone: Too much fog and blurry textures!

Nintendo: OK, fixed.

Everyone: 😭

Stephanie Tanner: Fog...I hate fog... 😞 

• Like 1