IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Best Fire Emblem game --

Fire Emblem Echoes for the 3DS

Fire Emblem Engage is fun, just like Fire Emblem 3 Houses. They're both very good games, but not masterpieces like Fire Emblem Echoes or Awakening. Other greats in the series are Path of Radiance and the original GBA game too 🙂

Yep 100% this. Echoes and Awakening are hands down my favourite with Path of Radiance probably coming in third. I have yet to play the GBA games though. The DS one was pretty fun though.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, avatar! said:

Best Fire Emblem game --

Fire Emblem Echoes for the 3DS

Fire Emblem Engage is fun, just like Fire Emblem 3 Houses. They're both very good games, but not masterpieces like Fire Emblem Echoes or Awakening. Other greats in the series are Path of Radiance and the original GBA game too 🙂

I'm just playing the translated famicom games right now.  Thanks for the recommendation though.  Honestly, I stink at strategy games, but I'm having a lot of fun with these. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rdrunner said:

Anyone here ever play Necromancer on Atari or Commodore?  Never heard of it but just recently tried it out.  Not bad for it's age, great for Halloween!

Haven't played it but screenshots looked cool so I took a look at a play-through on youtube.  Kinda hard to tell exactly what the player is supposed to be doing.  It almost seemed like the wizard is invincible...

On 11/1/2023 at 11:35 PM, PII said:

Haven't played it but screenshots looked cool so I took a look at a play-through on youtube.  Kinda hard to tell exactly what the player is supposed to be doing.  It almost seemed like the wizard is invincible...

It's definitely pretty complicated.  The wizard is not invincible though.  He has a digital strength gauge.  The first screen ends when it runs out (unavoidable).  On other screens, running out ends the game.

The screens each have different goals:

• 1: Grow trees
  • 2: Use trees to crush eggs
  • 3: Destroy gravestones to defeat the Necromancer

After Tears of the Kingdom, I've been looking for something that I could play for a short while until I get Super Mario Wonder.  I ended up going back to Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.  I started it a while back, but I didn't really grab me at the time.  I gave it a second try and I'm really enjoying it this time.  It's a super simple game.  If all you want to do is complete the levels, it's almost too easy.  However, the extra gems to collect, and the special objectives add a little bit of a challenge (especially in the later levels).  I find the game to be a good stress reliever.  I'm about 20 levels into chapter 3 which means I'm almost finished with the game.  I don't move onto the next level until I have completed everything (start, gems, and objectives).  So I'm trying to "100%" the game.  There is also some bonus content that I will look at after I finish chapter 3.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

After Tears of the Kingdom, I've been looking for something that I could play for a short while until I get Super Mario Wonder.  I ended up going back to Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.  I started it a while back, but I didn't really grab me at the time.  I gave it a second try and I'm really enjoying it this time.  It's a super simple game.  If all you want to do is complete the levels, it's almost too easy.  However, the extra gems to collect, and the special objectives add a little bit of a challenge (especially in the later levels).  I find the game to be a good stress reliever.  I'm about 20 levels into chapter 3 which means I'm almost finished with the game.  I don't move onto the next level until I have completed everything (start, gems, and objectives).  So I'm trying to "100%" the game.  There is also some bonus content that I will look at after I finish chapter 3.  

The same thing happened to me with Treasure Tacker. I ended up really enjoying and it wishing there was another Captain Toad game. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Vampire Survivors.

I have witnessed the death of video games. I don't think I've ever played a skinner box that entirely plays itself so thoroughly. In every level you walk around a map for 30 minutes while enemies slowly walk into your impenetrable death ball while you do absolutely nothing. 30 MINUTES. Cookie Clicker is a more engaging game, at least you're constantly clicking stuff.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Vampire Survivors.

I have witnessed the death of video games. I don't think I've ever played a skinner box that entirely plays itself so thoroughly. In every level you walk around a map for 30 minutes while enemies slowly walk into your impenetrable death ball while you do absolutely nothing. 30 MINUTES. Cookie Clicker is a more engaging game, at least you're constantly clicking stuff.

I like twin-stick shooters. From what I've heard, Vamp Survivors is like one of those without any finesse. Also, 30-minute survival rounds sounds way too long.

My youngest son was asking me about VR and what it was like.  When I showed the goggles to him, he noticed all of the other video game controllers I keep in the same bin.  I have two bins that sort of act as "bulk" video game controller storage that doesn't fit in the drawers with my normal controllers.  One bin has all PlayStation stuff (VR goggles, PS1 dual flight stick, PS1 arcade stick, ect.).  The other bin has Nintendo stuff (ROB, Super Scope Six, NES running pad, and DK bongos).  

My son was really interested in the DK bongos and wanted to know what they were for.  I showed him DK Konga 1 & 2 and DK Jungle Beat.  He fell in love with all of those games and has been playing them almost every day for almost a week now.  He isn't very good at the Konga games, but he is getting pretty far in Jungle Beat almost completely on his own.  

Both of my kinds love video games, but they play almost entirely modern stuff on the Switch or PC.  But it's pretty awesome when they find something that they can enjoy from one of the older consoles.  My 7 year old has used my GameCube more in the past week than I have in the past year.  

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing Super Mario Wonder since we gave it to my son for his birthday a few weeks ago.  I've been playing a small amount each evening, and I have to say that I've really been enjoying it.  The basic formula has been pretty predictable, but I'm still finding myself wanting to play again the next night.  I'm also enjoying trying to get the checkmark for each level.  I've completed one level from the Special World, but I'll probably save the rest of those until after I complete the game.  Two worlds to go and I'm curious to see how this game wraps up.  

I sadly benched Wonder, great game, but SMRPG has been more engaging as it has been a long time and the minute changes and quality of life tweaks are making for a really nice special edition of the classic.  Hopefully if means even if it's like 30 years on if it happened, the game finally gets its first sequel.

On 12/10/2023 at 11:34 AM, a3quit4s said:

Waverace would be on the shortlist of games still playable today on N64. Beetle adventure racing is a blast too

I don't know thatbI would go that far. N64 is very top heavy of a library, but I can probably think of 20 titles off the top of my head I would consider still playable today.

• Like 1