IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

Drakkhen, this game is kind of cool. I used to play it with my friend as a kid and just crack up when we walked into lakes and our party exploded.

As an adult who can take 2 minutes to figure out how a game works, it's pretty chill with fast progression, a map that shows POIs of the entire game, and easy auto-battles.

Editorials Team · Posted
4 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Drakkhen, this game is kind of cool. I used to play it with my friend as a kid and just crack up when we walked into lakes and our party exploded.

As an adult who can take 2 minutes to figure out how a game works, it's pretty chill with fast progression, a map that shows POIs of the entire game, and easy auto-battles.

image.png.2ff15061e4f27b22064b17ee751019f8.png

• Like 1

Working on WWF Wrestlemania 2000 (N64) and Unchared Waters (GEN) at the moment.  WWF has me a couple weeks after Survivor Series with all the belts and a record around 40-2.  UW I'm at the third rank and already have more money than I know what to do with, so right now I'm just trying to build fame as quick as possible to trigger the princess rescue and check this version off my list.  Both games are great, though I can't recommend playing WM2000 over No Mercy.  It isn't a bad game, don't get me wrong, but the later game is infinitely better overall.  As for UW, it's probably my favourite port overall.  While there's more variety with the sequel, I kinda dig the charm of the original game, though I would rather just play to boost my bank account than to actively try and beat it.  Maybe I'm weird, but I kinda dig trade sims.

• Like 1

Cliffhanger on Sega CD again.  Just had my first No-Death on the initial Snowboard Run.  Was doing well until I ran into some atypical bad luck on the Level 3 Kung Fu Boss who really isn't too difficult.  Something about the controls in this game... that can lead to the hands being just a hair sluggish or ill timed at hitting the desired inputs or something....  ....that leads to an ass-whupping.  Then the whole thing decided to freeze up on me.  (sigh.)  Super rare that that happens.. I think it's happened like once before and I don't even remember for sure what game I was playing...

• Like 2

Wizardry is hilarious. I have an evil wizard (SAURON) who accidentally turned good by random chance because I simply choose not to fight a friendly group of monsters. You can't put good and evil characters in the same party, so he left my party. I have to grind up a new good party with the sole purpose of hunting friendly mobs of turn SAURON evil again.

And people say this game doesn't have a story.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

Wizardry is hilarious. I have an evil wizard (SAURON) who accidentally turned good by random chance because I simply choose not to fight a friendly group of monsters. You can't put good and evil characters in the same party, so he left my party. I have to grind up a new good party with the sole purpose of hunting friendly mobs of turn SAURON evil again.

And people say this game doesn't have a story.

I LOVE Wizardry! Which game are you playing and on which system??

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

I LOVE Wizardry! Which game are you playing and on which system??

I'm on NES. I started on SFC which looks like maybe the best version, but I felt pity for the NES completions thread and switched to NES. It seems like a pretty great version though, just the original with type-in stuff changed to menus.

And yeah, I'm having a lot of fun. Certainly a lot more fun that all the times I tried to play it as a stupid kid. I can't imagine walking into this game and it being your first dungeon crawler. But as an adult who understand the genre more and is willing to figure out confusing maps, I'm in. I've read bad things about unfair difficulty and instant kills later on so I'm hoping to persevere.

Edited by DefaultGen

17 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I'm on NES. I started on SFC which looks like maybe the best version, but I felt pity for the NES completions thread and switched to NES. It seems like a pretty great version though, just the original with type-in stuff changed to menus.

And yeah, I'm having a lot of fun. Certainly a lot more fun that all the times I tried to play it as a stupid kid. I can't imagine walking into this game and it being your first dungeon crawler. But as an adult who understand the genre more and is willing to figure out confusing maps, I'm in. I've read bad things about unfair difficulty and instant kills later on so I'm hoping to persevere.

The computer games are arguably the most classic games, and sadly most of those are not available on any console -- at least not in English 😭

That said, in my opinion the best Wizardry console game that has an English release is this --

wiz.jpg

• The topic was pinned

I just got my hands on Phantasy Star 0 (DS) and starting up a second playthrough of Star Ocean Second R (ps5)

Between the pair and a returning and further developing addiction to Cyberpunk I fear the backlog may not move at all for yet another season of gaming. 

What an awesome problem to have. 

After 100%ing Mario Wonder, it got me on a kick of going back and playing through some of the older Mario games.

I've mentioned a few of these already, but my completed games since Mario Wonder are:

• Super Mario Bros. 3 (completed all levels including ones that could be skipped)
  • Super Mario Bros. 2 (no warps)
  • Super Mario World (100%)
  • Super Mario Land 2 (100%)

I also completed another playthrough of Super Metroid and finished in 2 hours and 25 minutes with 85% items.  I can easily beat the game in under 3 hours and I can complete the game with 100% items, but I've never been able to do both in the same playthrough.  I'm wondering if I can go back to my last save and find the last 15% items in under 35 minutes.  Might be tough.  

• Like 2

I'm playing Might and Magic on NES. This would be such a cool open world RPG if it wasn't such a pain in the ass. There's so much instant death and so many sluggish battles with no rewards (20 enemy random battles, wtf). There's a lot of old-school obscure BS and quests to figure out, but the awful combat makes it so not worth it.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I'm playing Might and Magic on NES. This would be such a cool open world RPG if it wasn't such a pain in the ass. There's so much instant death and so many sluggish battles with no rewards (20 enemy random battles, wtf). There's a lot of old-school obscure BS and quests to figure out, but the awful combat makes it so not worth it.

Yeah, random battles are the bane of old skool games. I remember playing Shining in the Darkness on the Genesis -- fabulous dungeon crawler -- apart from the random encounters. I remember at one point I made far into one of the higher level areas, and all of a sudden I had a random encounter, enemies went first, they cast some bullshite spell that instantly wiped out my part -- GAME OVER -- WTF

jurassic park deal with it GIF

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

Yeah, random battles are the bane of old skool games. I remember playing Shining in the Darkness on the Genesis -- fabulous dungeon crawler -- apart from the random encounters. I remember at one point I made far into one of the higher level areas, and all of a sudden I had a random encounter, enemies went first, they cast some bullshite spell that instantly wiped out my part -- GAME OVER -- WTF

jurassic park deal with it GIF

I don't remember having a big problem with Shining in the Darkness. It might be because your goal is pretty straightforward like in Wizardry: Go down. When I'm in a huge open world all around without a clue where to go, I just don't want to be bothered by nuisance encounters while I'm just figuring out what to even do, but if I am they better best fast! It also throws bigger encounters at you when level up, so it's punishing me for getting stronger!

I still have my SITD maps 🥰 I was so meticulous back then, even drawing pools of water with a blue sharpie.

wVB03Nj.png

• Like 1