IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

20 minutes ago, avatar! said:

So, harder than the first game I take it?

Hmm… I dunno it’s been awhile since I played the first. There are more mechanics to it since eventually you can switch weapons. I can’t remember if double jump and air dash were in the first so it adds more platforming but I dunno that it really ups the difficulty. I’m enjoying it though for sure

Dusting off some PS2 I have yet to play but always wanted to. Tonight it is the adventures of cookie and cream. I absolutely love the art style and the cute cartoony story. Hopefully the puzzle action is as good as the box has me believe.16957687536895282352265295446214.jpg.1c087ad4e71c1f34f2567aa75fc4c85c.jpg16957688269335644551050801320641.jpg.1e23f599250a92214bf23d0cc97104ae.jpg

Edit: Fuck this is a hard game! You have to simultaneously control both rabbits with each analog stick while avoiding traps and little flying tiki monsters that suck time away. I was expecting a fun little kid game, but I need serious focus for this. I'll come back to this later.

Edited by Kguillemette
  • Like 1

Celeste - Heard great things about this game and finally decided to pin my ears back and play through it.  I just reached the summit in about 9 hours, including collecting about just over half the strawberries.

Going back through all the levels again to pick up what I missed (love how the game menu includes a checklist for each level section and an achievement "diary").  Not sure if I'm going to try the harder stuff yet, but we'll see.

How to tell if a game is awesome: You reach the ending and still feel compelled to keep playing!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sumez said:

The original FromSoft "git gud"

Honestly it never occurred to me to see who developed the game. I've never played any Souls games, but their reputation preceeds them. I plan to read the manual and get through at least the first chapter. I won't be defeated by this game about 2 adorable rabbits trying to rescue the moon!

On 9/26/2023 at 6:54 PM, Kguillemette said:

Dusting off some PS2 I have yet to play but always wanted to. Tonight it is the adventures of cookie and cream. I absolutely love the art style and the cute cartoony story. Hopefully the puzzle action is as good as the box has me believe.16957687536895282352265295446214.jpg.1c087ad4e71c1f34f2567aa75fc4c85c.jpg16957688269335644551050801320641.jpg.1e23f599250a92214bf23d0cc97104ae.jpg

Edit: Fuck this is a hard game! You have to simultaneously control both rabbits with each analog stick while avoiding traps and little flying tiki monsters that suck time away. I was expecting a fun little kid game, but I need serious focus for this. I'll come back to this later.

Really intended to play with your significant other. I call it the breakup instigator.

Finishing off Trails in the Sky 3 for the backlog challenge, and jesus christ the final phase of the final boss has probably the biggest single BS move I've seen since Octopath's optional superboss.

It's pretty easy, but requires a specific strategy until the last stretch of the fight, where you just wail un it until you deplete its way too larger health pool. It takes an incredibly long time to dwindle it down, and then when you're about 75% done it does a move which just instakills everyone!

Yeah, I'm not talking heavy damage that can be undone with high enough defense, and it's not one of those "reduce to 1HP a la Sephiroth. I'm not talking the game's built in "insta kill" status effect either. The effect is simply impossible to block, even with the spell which lets you block one attack entirely! You actually see it preparing the attack, and there's another ability to break attacks during this state - but the boss is immune to this effect, as are most bosses.
So no matter how well you're doing, you'll fight this guy for an eternity, think you're doing well, and then it's just TOO BAD, PARTY IS DED.

And from what I can tell, the inability to block the attack entirely seems to be new in the "Evolution" version of the game I'm playing, so I can't find any information on how to deal with it, since it seems most people played the original PSP or PC versions of the game.

There's an item you can equip which revives a character once if they die in battle, so now I'm trying that and hope it won't do this attack twice...

I'm still playing Metal Gear and the guide says I need to be at 4 stars in order to get Jennifer on the radio and get the rocket launcher. I've apparently missed some of the hostages I needed to rescue to advance in rank, but I have no clue which ones, so now I gotta backtrack and check every single room again.

Edited by G-type

Once again betraying my obligations to the Backlog Challenge, due to being completely swallowed up by Demon's World, aka. Horror Story

jIMTpHC.png9I7ZN8P.pngGzcdodt.png

I first ran into this game decades ago while going over the PC Engine library and running into a port of it. It's a Toaplan game, yet no one ever really talks about it, and frankly it looks pretty janky so I always just assumed it wasn't worth playing.

Man, that was such a mistake! This game is 100% my kinda jam, and then some. Scrolling like a shoot'em up, but featuring hectic run'n'gun action, tons of unique enemy types and interesting formation patterns where no one situation ever repeats throughout the surprisingly long game. A strange double-jump mechanic enables really easy-to-lean, hard-to-master maneuvering skills combined with the ability to instantly dispose of enemies with a Rygar-style head-bop.

There are two very different versions of the game, and both are on the latest Toaplan Arcade Garage collection. The earlier "B" version is a casual classic arcade platformer which feels quite doable with some memorization, while the revised "A" version is a much tougher experience, with individual challenges and obstacles feeling like unique puzzles in their own right, similar to the original Ninja Gaiden, as well as a completely new stage right at the end when you think it's already over, which ups the ante with some of the craziest challenges the game has to offer.

Everyone who loves classic action games owes themself to try this game!

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2

Just reached another milestone in Celeste: Over 20 hours and 3500 deaths (so far) and I have now found all collectibles in the main game, including all of the hidden stuff.  Was really hard to figure out where and how to find a few things, but I managed to solve everything without a guide.

"B-Side" levels next?  Still not sure yet.  Been quite a ride though!

Yeah I like bashing my head and memorizing screens like that in action games too. It means the enemy placement is deliberate and probably well designed. I like the build up of everything seeming impossible at first then every time the game starts over, just breezing through all the parts of the game I've already figured out.

1 hour ago, CMR said:

Today I discovered Fire Emblem.  What have I been doing with my life?

Best Fire Emblem game --

Fire Emblem Echoes for the 3DS

Fire Emblem Engage is fun, just like Fire Emblem 3 Houses. They're both very good games, but not masterpieces like Fire Emblem Echoes or Awakening. Other greats in the series are Path of Radiance and the original GBA game too 🙂

• Agree 1