IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

39 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

It's interesting how in the quote you posted, the spelling is standard, not reflecting the accent.

I'm not an expert, but aside from non-academic dialect guides and novels written in a certain locale/time period, I don't think it's acceptable anymore to be transcribing accents like this.

I personally don't see an issue, I view accents with pride, but it can lead to going down a dark path of stereotypes, racism, etc.  , Especially since many view accents with shame.

In this case, my gripe is not the fact they say "Wata" as it makes them sound like they are trying to be hip. It's the fact that they are doing nothing that follows, represents, or even uses the means and purposes behind Bruce Lee's words.

What Bruce Lee is saying is simple: Adapt to your environment, and manipulate it into something new when that is needed.

For example, I have spent a decade trying to find a way to live in Japan full-time. Prior to my goals including the idea of starting a small business, I learned how to adapt that social environment so I can be part of their social environment. And after I decided to start a business, I spent years planning on how I could make changes without it feeling unnatural.

But with Wata Games, their use of water feels no different than somebody using a hose. In this case it feels like they created a new hose, but cannot adapt to their success like a river can adapt to the sea.

Pretty much meaning that their name is interesting, but you cannot piss in a bottle and call it mountain spring "wata". 😉

2 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

In this case, my gripe is not the fact they say "Wata" as it makes them sound like they are trying to be hip.

We all know they were trying to lure in the Nolan's as early investors with their use of an exaggerated Boston accent.  Clearly they failed, so they pivoted to the Bruce Lee excuse as the next best thing.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Pats1717 said:

Being a mod and dealing with the problems on the site were not a picnic, and overall I think we did a damn good job. Maybe we didn't always get it right, but never was any ill intent at least. Also we dealt with absentee mods that only showed up when something happened but never dealt with any of the day to day issues. 

Being a former mod myself, I 100% understand.

On the flip side, I still remember the day Sony's legal department finally contacted me about the fact they were going to look into the 'HafuGirl' scenario that other PS3 users complained about. Which, interestingly enough, happened after I filed a complaint against them to the ESRB board. With the complaint being that they were not entirely promoting Home as an "E for Everybody" location, and not properly enforcing any policies they only bring up after a member is suspended. Along with the fact they were ignoring those who have complained about HafuGirl.

And while I have issues with those who do not take the position seriously, I feel sorry for those who do. Because as bad as I got it, those who do what it takes to have a forum be a peaceful one either have or will run into members who act like they have diplomatic immunity. To the point that if a mod takes a misstep, the member is suddenly a victim. But if the mod did their job because the member did something wrong, the member is once again a victim.

In the end... I'd rather be part of a year long My Little Pony roleplaying game campaign that includes those who yearn for the days where being a "Brony" was something. As opposed reliving that. 😩

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

Because as bad as I got it, those who do what it takes to have a forum be a peaceful one either have or will run into members who act like they have diplomatic immunity. To the point that if a mod takes a misstep, the member is suddenly a victim. But if the mod did their job because the member did something wrong, the member is once again a victim.

NAAAHHHHH NEVERRRRR!

Angry Bobs Burgers GIF

• Haha 3

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, darkchylde28 said:

There was at least one mod that I recall basically ending discussions he didn't appreciate by first telling everybody involved to knock it off or move along (versus locking a thread), then basically devolving into threats of banning everybody involved if they didn't shut up.  That's one of the things that led me to keep my mouth relatively shut the whole time I was on there, as nobody wanted to talk about any of the "old hat" stuff I was interested in anyway, and if you piss off the wrong mod on the wrong day, you're IP banned for life, like disappearing into a damned CIA black site.

Context matters for some of that stuff too.   If it's a normal discussion we tried to leave it open and tell people to knock it off rather than lock a productive thread over a couple cementheads.

But if it was some dead horse getting beaten for the umpteenth time, yeah, less patience there.   And I'm not talking about asking a question that's been asked a few times, more like the "(insert whatever person/place/thing) sucks" repetitive threads with just ranting.

12 minutes ago, Gloves said:

NAAAHHHHH NEVERRRRR!

Angry Bobs Burgers GIF

As much as I am a pain to both you and others here, I promise you that you will be sleeping in a house that resides on Elm Street when they do it to you. Because never forget...

One, two, Jeff Meyer is after you.
Three, four, you better lock your door.
Five, six, you better get a crucifix.
Sever, eight, you better stay up late.
Nine, ten, Jeff Meyer is after you again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, FenrirZero said:

As much as I am a pain to both you and others here, I promise you that you will be sleeping in a house that resides on Elm Street when they do it to you. Because never forget...

One, two, Jeff Meyer is after you.
Three, four, you better lock your door.
Five, six, you better get a crucifix.
Sever, eight, you better stay up late.
Nine, ten, Jeff Meyer is after you again.

I don't think you're a pain at all lol.

Also a house would be nice. I don't think I'll ever be able to live in a house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LifeGame said:

Oh god, i bought this loopz for 216$ from the Carolina collection in 2020, am i gonna be in trouble...

E46BADF7-E24D-4D99-87A7-80BCE4DB7ADA.thumb.jpeg.96648de5f49cc6bb86da7e3aa2a0f83b.jpegEBEC62A9-B400-4D98-8D5E-5B86435266C1.thumb.png.fc80e82d37908c9178950944c6072832.png

I mean, you would be the defrauded party, I guess. If you want to claim that you paid more money because it says "Carolina Collection" on it. Or you reckon the grade is wrong...

6 minutes ago, AdamW said:

I mean, you would be the defrauded party, I guess. If you want to claim that you paid more money because it says "Carolina Collection" on it. Or you reckon the grade is wrong...

I mean i probably paid less than the cost of grading the game myself since im in Canada so i think i got a fair deal...😂

Social Team · Posted

I heard this was were all  the drama is going on and I gotta say if you think this thread got heated then you obviously don't know about  VGS's fight club,  and I just have one thing to say to you....

Spoiler

monophy.gif

Edited by FireHazard51
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Californication said:

Not unless you have a wife that looks at your purchases.

Thats pretty funny as she doesnt ‘’enjoy’’ my collection but she gets to walk past that every time she does the laundry (i do laundry too 😉)

Also while im here(im still many pages late to keep up with this novel), for anyone that says those who collect sealed aren’t real collectors, dont play games or are all investors, etc...

See guys i collect sealed AND complete and loose...and I only sell doubles !

36794265-0856-4F7F-97FA-E2573287959E.jpeg.0745ab1d24022d02712d60f1cda14a51.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Administrator · Posted
18 minutes ago, LifeGame said:

Thats pretty funny as she doesnt ‘’enjoy’’ my collection but she gets to walk past that every time she does the laundry (i do laundry too 😉)

Also while im here(im still many pages late to keep up with this novel), for anyone that says those who collect sealed aren’t real collectors, dont play games or are all investors, etc...

See guys i collect sealed AND complete and loose...and I only sell doubles !

36794265-0856-4F7F-97FA-E2573287959E.jpeg.0745ab1d24022d02712d60f1cda14a51.jpeg

Honestly I don't think any actually rational person would claim that sealed/graded collectors aren't real collectors. There's just this pent-up rage at the idea of people who collect purely as investment and I get that, but it might be used a bit too broad strokes at times.

I can totally see the appeal of collecting sealed/graded even if just for the looks. That's a pretty nice looking shelf! In fact, color me jealous of the Quantum Fighter, I love that game!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Also a house would be nice. I don't think I'll ever be able to live in a house.

That's easy: leave Toronto; if you work from home, why does it have to be in the middle of the most expensive city in Canada?  Unless you legitimately live were you live for your wife/gf's work, I don't see any reason to be renting in the middle of TO for the rest of your life....

• Like 2

I feel “Heritage Auctions” should be a subforum in itself. Then sections might include:

- NA crew/members pre- and post- Heritage Auctions

- Jim Halperin - post all facts or allegations on this guy

- Detective work - the link between HA and WATA

- Live Auctions, Sales and Figures: woweee!

- Heritage and shady buyers - discussions on dentists and other questionable characters

- Karl Jobst and his YT video - genuine prober? or a shady investigator making videos on shady people?

- Miscellaneous discussion - post here if it doesn’t fit anywhere else!

Edited by GPX
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Administrator · Posted
24 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

That's easy: leave Toronto; if you work from home, why does it have to be in the middle of the most expensive city in Canada?  Unless you legitimately live were you live for your wife/gf's work, I don't see any reason to be renting in the middle of TO for the rest of your life....

Yeah it's a decent point. I could personally go anywhere. I build websites for a living. My wife's job however is indeed here in the city. 

Thing is, we both really like the city life. 

Honestly I don't actually even really need a house. Whole lotta space that'd be wasted on me. 

9 hours ago, final fight cd said:

I definitely think the origins of the name is in very poor taste.  I would have kept that off my website for sure. 

BTW I stutter.  I absolutely cannot stand when people mock or mimic, whether their intentions are playful or not. 

I started a thread about it here, several months back:

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1