IGNORED

Heritage Auctions Thread

22 minutes ago, Prime2099 said:

Um, a little racist? Or is it just me.

I definitely think the origins of the name is in very poor taste.  I would have kept that off my website for sure. 

BTW I stutter.  I absolutely cannot stand when people mock or mimic, whether their intentions are playful or not. 

Edited by final fight cd
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Ozzy_98 said:

Wait, Dragon Wars? Like, the old PC RPG game? Or something else? Cause, repros of pc games is a new one on me. 

Yeah, it's a repro of the unreleased NES version.  Well, it was released in Japan, just not here.  Now that I'm making my own repros, if it's something that interests you, I could do it up for ya.

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

That's something I do prefer about the arcade communities - modding and/or repairing things isn't historically frowned upon. I get that people might be worried about some future buyer/seller claiming something is real when it's not, but you obviously (by the sound of it) went to great lengths to make sure that'd not happen.

It has to be extremely demotivating to go to share something you're excited about only to get shit on. That sucks hard.

Wellllllll...  There are those people in every community, even the arcade one, even if it means that something is not functional or can no longer function (like the self-destructing Capcom boards/units).  The people in the classic/8-bit computer community are especially maddening on that point, as what's the use of having the thing if you can't actually use it?  To a degree I understand it with video games where stuff like the ROM chip is dead and has to be replaced, or a different board is swapped in (and jumpered) in order to get something going, but most people who go to those lengths to save something go ahead and include the original, replaced parts so that anybody trying to wag a finger at them can generally be quieted because all of the original stuff is technically there.  However, there are those that are never satisfied, like (using the off-the cuff example my brother always does) those who aren't satisfied unless the '57 Chevy you found has the original (rotted) tires, the original head bolts (stretched, likely causing the engine to run like crap or not at all), the original windshield wipers (rotted, likely to cause scratching on the glass), etc.  Stuff wears out, and as long as you're doing your due diligence when replacing something that needs it (especially maintenance items, which in the case of cartridge games could be argued to be batteries), I don't think folks should take a knock for keeping stuff going.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, it's a repro of the unreleased NES version.  Well, it was released in Japan, just not here.  Now that I'm making my own repros, if it's something that interests you, I could do it up for ya.

Is it translated?  Heck, I might be interested as well, as that's a game I got for PC for my birthday many years ago but never got around to playing until the disk became long lost.  Had no idea that got released for console, although I guess I shouldn't be totally surprised, given all the Pony Canyon ports of PC stuff (Ultimas, the D&D stuff, Times of Lore, etc.).

1 minute ago, darkchylde28 said:

Is it translated?  Heck, I might be interested as well, as that's a game I got for PC for my birthday many years ago but never got around to playing until the disk became long lost.  Had no idea that got released for console, although I guess I shouldn't be totally surprised, given all the Pony Canyon ports of PC stuff (Ultimas, the D&D stuff, Times of Lore, etc.).

Yeah, it's in English.  I'm not sure if the game was completed, but given that there's a couple longplays online I would assume so.  I was supposed to play it through since those kind of games are my jam, but I never did get around to it.  It's not a Pony Canyon port either...Kemco-Seika did it.  Incidentally, the ports you mentioned are all pretty awesome imo, save for Ultima V...that's more of an unplayable mess.  But the rest were decent ports at worst, and awesome at best.  

• Like 1

Hey I'm reading over this thread and I just wanna say I miss you guys and that the ~2004-2010ish video game collector forum period was some of the best times of my life. <33333333333 It's nice to see a lot of familiar names.

Edited by nick
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Was this posted somewhere yet

https://sethabramson.substack.com/p/breaking-news-national-video-game?justPublished=true

I’m on the edge of my seat that we might find out who this mysterious “Bronty” character is if we just keep digging. 

Jeez, was that article hard to look at. The synopsis I guess is that @Brontyis satan?

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Actually yeah it would. I've got a C64 copy of it down in the game room, need to make sure the disk works still.

55 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Yeah, it's in English.  I'm not sure if the game was completed, but given that there's a couple longplays online I would assume so.  I was supposed to play it through since those kind of games are my jam, but I never did get around to it.  It's not a Pony Canyon port either...Kemco-Seika did it.  Incidentally, the ports you mentioned are all pretty awesome imo, save for Ultima V...that's more of an unplayable mess.  But the rest were decent ports at worst, and awesome at best.  

The D&D port of Pool of Radiance makes me sick. Side note, I owned the world record for speed running it (The PC version not the nes version I refuse to finish) for almost one whole week. Then my time was beat. By almost an hour. My time was only about an hour and 15 mins.  Now I'm ranked 3rd. Out of 3 people who ran it. I really need to play it again, but, meh. Got me dragon quest monsters games that need beating as blue slimes. 

Edited by Ozzy_98

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

Wtf does WATA stand for?

It's based on a Bruce Lee quote that they had managed to butcher for both cosmetic and marketing reasons.

Here is the actual quote, which I had posted a little more than 10 years ago:

thumbnail_99500.jpg.c98bb45bf5a6bcddbb4ac2dbefbcacbe.jpg

Right off the bat, if they had had a department that was able to custom made their cases, the name would fit. But the talks of them using standardized cases that also have inner wells has them sound like they took advice from a business that has better knowledge when it comes to graded comics.

And not the meaning behind Bruce Lee's quote. 🙄

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Jeez, was that article hard to look at. The synopsis I guess is that @Brontyis satan?

Reading it, I see this:

---

But Bronty, who has refused to reveal his identity to U.S. media, nevertheless decided, as Ars Technica reports, to “lend” his historically valuable game to “friends” at WATA so they could prominently display it at conventions under their own corporate banner—not VGA’s. 

---

"What" in the actual "fuck" is going on there. And "breaking news" ?  And then just below that, 

---

to make this possible the first thing WATA had to do was something most game collectors regard as a sacrilege: break the VGA tamperproof case 

---

Most game collectors? I think the majority still side with the set them free crowd, depending on your classification of collector. 

Side note, how was insurance for that handled I wonder, incase someone ran off with Bronty's case. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ozzy_98 said:

Most game collectors? I think the majority still side with the set them free crowd, depending on your classification of collector. 

Side note, how was insurance for that handled I wonder, incase someone ran off with Bronty's case. 

I think most collectors are of the "don't put them in the box to begin with" variety.  Me personally, if something has been slabbed as a perfect specimen, museum piece, etc., I think it ought to stay there, so the descriptor of it being "sacrilege" is a little heavy handed but in the ballpark of how I (and I imagine others) would feel about that.  Sure, there's some satisfaction in seeing a sealed copy of a game torn open, but the ones that are the most pristine, most perfect examples?  Like Indy says, they belong in a museum!

As for Bronty's insurance in case someone ran off with his stuff while it was on tour, I'd guess it was knowing the addresses of those he loaned it out to so he knew where to deliver the ass whipping should things go awry.  🤣

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ozzy_98 said:

Reading it, I see this:

---

But Bronty, who has refused to reveal his identity to U.S. media, nevertheless decided, as Ars Technica reports, to “lend” his historically valuable game to “friends” at WATA so they could prominently display it at conventions under their own corporate banner—not VGA’s. 

---

"What" in the actual "fuck" is going on there. And "breaking news" ?  And then just below that, 

---

to make this possible the first thing WATA had to do was something most game collectors regard as a sacrilege: break the VGA tamperproof case 

---

Yeah I have no idea what planet that article came from really. It's absurd. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ozzy_98 said:

Reading it, I see this:

---

---

---

---

I guess most collectors hate me after cracking that Gun*Nac then...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

I guess most collectors hate me after cracking that Gun*Nac then...

Probably not given when you did it, but I have to say that I would twinge a bit if it turned out that you opened what was, and currently still is, the best condition sealed copy that still existed.

19 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Was this posted somewhere yet

https://sethabramson.substack.com/p/breaking-news-national-video-game?justPublished=true

I’m on the edge of my seat that we might find out who this mysterious “Bronty” character is if we just keep digging. 

In the article, it mentions Bronty as a Vancouver resident (assuming this is in Canada?)...The other day on ebay, I was going through my watchlist of old ended listings and I came across this ebay listing w/ username Bronty in it. I wonder, if these 2 pple are 1 in the same? Thought I mention it. 

Edit: Nvm, the location of the user is in Ontario. Different region. For the record, my geography is terrible .

Edited by AnimalHouse
  • Haha 1

So Wiki isn’t always accurate but you’re telling Halperin has been scamming since he was 13?!  This can’t be real life how is this true and how do people hand this fraud money.  Literally born, then stealing haha out of control

BF93F288-2FB0-44D2-8E41-B662B31A91EE.png

Edited by batteriesnotincluded
  • Wow! 6
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, batteriesnotincluded said:

So Wiki isn’t always accurate but your telling Halperin has been scamming since he was 13?!  This can’t be real life how is this true and how do people hand this fraud money.  

BF93F288-2FB0-44D2-8E41-B662B31A91EE.png

HOLY SHIT.  He conned people out of more than $100,000.00 at age 13, so 1965 dollars, or $866,676.19 in today's money, and that's only what he returned.  And they let him off for returning it.  Just...wow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, nick said:

Fuck that Halperin guy. It's absolutely ridiculous and ABSURD that Heritage Auctions gets 30% of the capital of OTHER PEOPLE's games for their so-difficult work of swinging a mallet up and down. I cringe to the point it makes my asscrack hurt when eBay charges me the 12.5%. I have absolutely no idea why ANYONE in their right mind would use Heritage Auctions as a platform with such a ridciulously high fee for them basically doing next-to-nothing. Some people might say "oh well because of their expert collector services" and "well it sells for way more on HA" i give ZERO FUCKS what it might or might not sell for on HA - 30% fees for swinging a mallet up and down is absolutely ridiculous.

Agreed! There are other venues, though I'm unsure what ComicConnect and CertifiedLink charges. Does anyone know?

• Like 3