IGNORED

Movie Debate #66: The Wizard

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal thoughts

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • No interest in watching it.

Less a movie and more of an infomercial for Nintendo.

Fred Savage, Jenny Lewis, and Christian Slater are all really like-able.  The kid who plays the title's Wizard, not so much.  Some memorable one liners.  Overall pretty inoffensive for a kids film.

Edited by fox

I watched it within the first year of it being released, but I haven't watched it since.  I remember enjoying it as a kid and being excited about any scene that involved video games(a surprisingly small number).  But at the age I was at the time, I probably would have liked it no matter how bad it was.  I really don't think I can rate it fairly without giving it another watch.  I'm guessing it would land somewhere around a 5 or so.  

I saw it in theaters when it came out because I had heard about the fabled SMB3 "sneak peek" but I honestly have not watched it again since. I probably should fire it up just to be able to look back on that period in history when Nintendo ruled the world. I can't imagine that the movie has much to offer other than some goofy nostalgia.

I imported a DVD release of this movie knowing well enough it wouldn't be a good movie. I thought it would at least be fun to see all the video game references and just a lot of silly late 80s camp.

What I didn't account for was that the movie just was plain boring, dumb and uninteresting. Not good in any way really.

While I acknowledge it isn't a cinematic classic by any means, I still love it.  My mind was blown as a kid when SMB3 showed up.  So many great one liners.  I was just the right age and right time when it came out, but I completely understand how people wouldn't be interested in it if they didn't have the nostalgia.  So it's kind of hard to rate, I love it but I don't go around recommending it to other people. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, B.A. said:

While I acknowledge it isn't a cinematic classic by any means, I still love it.  My mind was blown as a kid when SMB3 showed up.  So many great one liners.  I was just the right age and right time when it came out, but I completely understand how people wouldn't be interested in it if they didn't have the nostalgia.  So it's kind of hard to rate, I love it but I don't go around recommending it to other people. 

That is exactly where I am on it.  I was the exact intended age for this movie when it released and even knew a neighborhood kid with a Power Glove.

It was also probably one of the first movies I was nostalgic enough for to track down -- I remember finding the VHS in a video rental shop in high school and asking them the last time it was rented and then offering to buy it on the spot for $6, and having my offer accepted 😛

It definitely falls into the subset of movies that I want to share with my kids to let them see certain elements that were unique to being a kid in the late 80's -- but I definitely wouldn't recommend it widely without context.

Objectively speaking, it's it a good movie. But it's one I enjoy so I gave it a 7.  Admittedly it's more nostalgia than anything. I remember when it came out and kids in my elementary school went nuts over the first showing of Super Mario Bros 3 and I remember hanging out at a friend's house with a group of kids from school to watch this movie. I really miss those days. 

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Oh, and if you're interested in getting this one on DVD, it is available on a big "family movie" multi-pack that includes Cloak and Dagger.

Shout Factory did a release recently too.  I have the BD with extras:

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-wizard-collector-s-edition?product_id=7300

• Like 1

6/10

Pros:

Slightly better than the 1993 Mario movie in my opinion. Like that movie, it has a good cast and some memorable and funny scenes. It can be really fun to watch occasionally: Seeing Corey sneak into the institution and getting Jimmy out of there, hiding in an Ice Cream truck and pigging out, playing Double Dragon at a Bus Station and competing for Haley's Bus Ticket...it makes me feel like a kid again and brings me back to the late 80's/early 90's. And, of course, there's the legendary Super Mario Bros. 3 scene. It isn't a great movie, but not bad either and is fun to watch every now and then.

Cons:

Not up to par with several of Fred Savage or Christian Slater's other shows/movies (The Wonder Years, The Legend of Billie Jean, Pump Up the Volume, Kuffs). The script during the Super Mario Bros. 3 scene isn't very good (how did Corey know about the Warp Whistles? How did Jimmy know where to find the secret room in the World 1 Mini-Fortress?).

Other notes:

It's unfortunate that the DVD doesn't have any extras, and unlike the Mario movie it doesn't even have any music on the root menu. I remember it also took a while for it to come out on DVD in the U.S. and Canada. I guess we were just suppose to be happy that it was even released on DVD at all (which I was). At least the picture quality is decent compared to the Mario movie DVD. I'm glad the movie's been released on Blu-Ray and includes extras. Will probably buy the Blu-Ray sometime this year.

thewizarddvd.jpg.169c8cf73595f9b0027beffa46e96ec2.jpg

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 9:29 AM, B.A. said:

While I acknowledge it isn't a cinematic classic by any means, I still love it.  My mind was blown as a kid when SMB3 showed up.  

I too felt that same way...I didn't get my own copy until my 11th birthday a little over a year after it came out but better late than never, right?  That truly was a magical moment for the US to finally get its first taste of SMB3.  I don't think that kind of magic could ever be duplicated (not even close) in today world though.

• Like 1