IGNORED

Movie Debate #153: The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Rate it  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • Never seen it, never will.

I only saw this movie for the first time last year. It had been on my list forever.

I was deciding between a 6 and 7 but ultimately went with 7. I think it does sit as quiet a good movie and something I would watch again if someone put it on.

I don’t know if this movie would ever be made in this day and age. The sex scene alone would cause people to have a heart attack and call rape. The right wingers would complain about a trans gender character and the list goes on.

I think the story is pretty fun but did have some slow points. I really enjoyed all the songs though. They were all well written and have remained hits for a reason.

Well worth a watch and I can see why it’s a cult movie. However, if you still haven’t seen it, I don’t think you need to drop everything to see it.

It's a classic for a reason. It's often been framed as sort of an underdog cult classic, or a bad movie that's endured through its camp values and loving fanbase, but I'm not really sure it fully qualifies as either. Sure, Tim Curry probably(?) wasn't a big name until after he broke through with this role, but it's also got Susan Sarandon and Meat Loaf on its cast list.

Richard O'Brien getting both the stage production and this movie made however probably still qualifies as quite an underdog story 🙂 

In general it's just a fun movie with memorable songs and setpieces, that's ultimately more than the sum of its parts. If nothing else it's an important piece of cultural history. I don't really feel like ever watching it again however. Maybe when my son gets old enough to appreciate it? 6/10

Edited by Sumez

Would this movie still be a thing if it weren't for the midnight showings with all the inside jokes and audience participation? Watching it at home as just a movie, its 1960s Batman levels of campy, with a couple catchy songs, but didn't really hold my interest.

Not a great movie on its own, but the midnite showing thing with audience participation is something everyone should experience.  I saw it back in the 70s before it became a phenomenon so had no idea what I was getting into when a group of us went. Never really had an experience like that before.

FWIW, the stage version is even more fun as the actors usually play along with the audience. We go every time a local troupe puts it on.

7 minutes ago, nrslam said:

FWIW, the stage version is even more fun as the actors usually play along with the audience. We go every time a local troupe puts it on.

That's the main thing to remember is that this movie started as a stage show with a live audience to interact with. The movie obviously lacks the direct interaction aspect, but a large group watching the same thing has an energy that sitting at home in your Laz-E-Boy doesn't. 

Unless you're drunk enough.

Administrator · Posted

It's a real theater club movie - if you were in a drama class or participated in plays and the like in high school voluntarily then you're probably a fan of this. That's not to say you had to be but if you were you're almost certainly into this and similar stuff. Everything is very over the top and at times quite random, and of course it being a musical helps too.

I like it a lot but I really have to be in the mood. I actually kinda prefer the sequel, Shock Treatment, largely for the themes which are a bit less... alien?

13 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Never seen it, but I feel like I probably should some day.  

Eh, only if you're into stuff that's weird for the sake of being weird. It's a much different experience in a crowded theatre. 

The Meatloaf cameo is a highlight, though. 

Hate this fucking movie.  I saw it in college with my gf and some friends at an outdoor venue.  Since I hadn't seen it, I was a "virgin" and put in a group with the other virgins.  Later, when I guess you're supposed to spray each other with water pistols, they hosed the virgins down with a water hose.  It was a cold evening and really pissed me off tbh.  I spent the rest of the night wet, freezing and hating my gf.

So, fuck this movie and fuck its hardcore fans.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

The songs are not great and the whole thing is just weird.  Not my cup of tea either Glazball.  Plenty of better movies out there.  I don't know why this one is held in such high regard.  I do like Tim Curry though.  Shame what's happened to him. 

10/10

Been a favourite since I was a little kid. My older sibling was like 12 years older than me and showed it to us. I used to run around the house in my underwear and a cape (???) singing "I'm a sweet transvestite!" 🤣🤣🤣

Absolutely INCREDIBLE music, and great acting with Tim Curry, OG stage players for Riff Raff/Magenta... Fucking awesome music.

The first few songs are MAGICAL. Literally magical. 🥰

Movie gets EXTRA WEIRD in the finale, though. 😅 But I still like it. 🤷‍♂️

On 3/14/2024 at 11:21 AM, Tulpa said:

It's one of those that's better in the movie theatre at midnight with a bunch of rowdy fans that know the cues to do the wacky stuff than home viewing.

I'm not into that at all.... Personally I've always watched it at home, so when I heard about that it really weirded me out. I still haven't done it in person because it gets in the way of the movie, for me, from the videos I've seen. 🤷‍♂️

On 3/26/2024 at 11:33 AM, glazball said:

Hate this fucking movie.  I saw it in college with my gf and some friends at an outdoor venue.  Since I hadn't seen it, I was a "virgin" and put in a group with the other virgins.  Later, when I guess you're supposed to spray each other with water pistols, they hosed the virgins down with a water hose.  It was a cold evening and really pissed me off tbh.  I spent the rest of the night wet, freezing and hating my gf.

So, fuck this movie and fuck its hardcore fans.

That sounds terrible. But the movie itself is not as bad as this experience.

Personally, the thought of this, or watching with an audience yelling random shit, sounds awful so I'm not surprised you hated it.

There's some really good music in this film, though, that starts right from the jump so maybe if you're watching at home it would be a better experience for you.

3 hours ago, AirVillain said:

I'm not into that at all.... Personally I've always watched it at home, so when I heard about that it really weirded me out. I still haven't done it in person because it gets in the way of the movie, for me, from the videos I've seen. 🤷‍♂️

The only thing I can say is that if you're actually there in person it takes on a way different energy.

I can see how watching videos of the live audience can seem lame, but that's not the same thing as being in the auditorium and feeling the excitement of being there.

But I can respect enjoying the movie on its own merits. There's not much else like it out there.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tulpa said:

The only thing I can say is that if you're actually there in person it takes on a way different energy.

I can see how watching videos of the live audience can seem lame, but that's not the same thing as being in the auditorium and feeling the excitement of being there.

But I can respect enjoying the movie on its own merits. There's not much else like it out there.

Yeah, that's a fair point.

It's probably a bit different when you're actually there. 🤗

16 hours ago, Brickman said:

It’s insane how amazing Science Fiction is. Hands down my favourite musical song.

Yes, exactly.

Literally pure magic. It's funny because as a kid I didn't realize what the song was actually about... and it's talking about the actual movie itself (obviously, as well as all the other references) so it's a perfect introduction to the show.

So actually understanding the song is even more incredible. 😆

We had this record when I was a kid....

this, as a movie on its own, is pretty mediocre.

that being said, if you're just watching it as a movie, you're doing it wrong. This was made as a social commentary for the counter culture. it's about taking taboo subjects and flaying them wide open for all to see. for exposing the undercurrent of weird that flows through life, generally unseen. 

you have to remember, most movies that came out before this one were very traditional. This movie is a subversion of everything- family values, sex/gender roles, all that "traditional" stuff. THAT is why it is held up with such reverence. It was SO different from what you would normally see. It gave people a chance to embrace the "weird".

plus, the songs ROCK! Science Fiction, Sweet Transvestite, Time Warp, I Can Make You A Man, Touch Me, and the more traditional Hot Patootie/Bless My Soul are all 10/10 or damn close.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

this, as a movie on its own, is pretty mediocre.

that being said, if you're just watching it as a movie, you're doing it wrong. This was made as a social commentary for the counter culture. it's about taking taboo subjects and flaying them wide open for all to see. for exposing the undercurrent of weird that flows through life, generally unseen. 

you have to remember, most movies that came out before this one were very traditional.

It came out in 1975 not 1955. WR The Mysteries of the Organism and Pink Flamingos make Rocky Horror look like It's A Wonderful Life.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1

I'd say '75 is right at the verge of where this sort of counter-culture was still considered rebellious.

That said, the mid-to late 70s was also the point in time where any young artistic output was expected to embrace that same sort of rebellious nature. If you were in a band and you wore nice clothes and had a haircut short enough to see your ears, you were considered the outsider.

Edited by Sumez