IGNORED

Movie Debate #155: Ghostbusters II

Rate it  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never seen it, but you're interested in watching it.
    • Never seen it, never will.
  2. 2. Next week's poll

• Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail
    • Time Bandits
    • 12 Monkeys

The only Ghostbusters movie I've seen more than once is the original which is in my top 3 movies of all time.  This one really fell flat when it was new.  Not sure what it would be like if I rewatched today. Voted 3/10.

Edited by wongojack

They should have just jumped back into them doing their thing, busting ghosts for a living, then a big "mcguffin / problem / whatever" happens that they have to deal with.  Spending half the movie getting them back together and leisurely turning them back into Ghostbusters again was a total waste of time.  They even troll the viewer at the start: you're all ready to watch them bust some ghosts, then - bam - it's only a birthday party...

All that said, it's still better than all the GB shite that's come down the pipe in the last few years, though.

Edited by Dr. Morbis

I went with ‘never seen it, never will’ but this is one of those cases where none of the other options feels right.  I saw it decades ago.  It kept my attention once, but I remember nothing about nor do I feel the need to watch it again. Was it good, bad or mediocre? No clue.  Do I care to watch it again? Nope, not at all.

Somewhat better than its reputation, but still not up to the lightning in a bottle of the original.

I saw it somewhat recently (like maybe 8-10 years ago), and now that I'm older and better able to read people, I can tell that Bill Murray absolutely doesn't want to be in this movie. It really shows in his phoned in Venkman.

Events Team · Posted

It's a 6 for the Bobby Brown song alone.  Plus they drive the Statue of Liberty with the NES Advantage.  It had some great scenes (the courtroom) and I liked Vigo the Carpathian, but it falls a little flat.  Still decent and nostalgia puts it on par with the two new movies, but it's the weakest entry of the franchise if I'm being objective.

Ghostbusters > Ghostbusters 2016 > Ghostbusters 2 ≥ Ghostbusters ≥ Ghostbusters Frozen Empire ≥ Ghostbusters Afterlife 

• Agree 1

Geez some brutal takes in this thread. 

I went with a 7 (it’s a 7.5 for me). When I was younger I would have gone with an 8-8.5 but I re watched it about 2-3 years ago during my Bill Murray marathon and it didn’t quite hold up as well as I remember. It does drag on and the story has some pacing issues. However it’s still a fun movie and worth watching every now and then.

16 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Ghostbusters > Ghostbusters 2016 > Ghostbusters 2 ≥

This has to be a troll? 2016 Ghostbusters is just a terrible terrible movie. No way that garbage heap rates higher than 2.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

I never understood the hate for this movie. It has tons of great moments, and is generally almost as enjoyable as the original.

Also Janosz is fantastic

I feel the exact same way.  I never ever remember people saying they didn't like this movie until relatively recently.  Love it.

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

I feel the exact same way.  I never ever remember people saying they didn't like this movie until relatively recently.  Love it.

Probably because there weren't a million websites to rank movies.  I don't think people went out of their way to tell you it was bad, but everyone I knew saw it once, said "oh well, I guess they couldn't do it twice," and forgot about it. 

I didn't meet anyone who would actually say anything good about it until I was an adult.

5 hours ago, wongojack said:

Probably because there weren't a million websites to rank movies.  I don't think people went out of their way to tell you it was bad, but everyone I knew saw it once, said "oh well, I guess they couldn't do it twice," and forgot about it. 

I didn't meet anyone who would actually say anything good about it until I was an adult.

Thats really odd.  Of course the first one is practically flawless, but this one was more tailored to kids with some adult stuff in there.  So I can't hate it, its funny, got great lines, effects are cool, and it has Janosh.  I don't even care if its very similar to the first one either.  If you're gonna steal, steal from the best.

Events Team · Posted
15 hours ago, Brickman said:

This has to be a troll? 2016 Ghostbusters is just a terrible terrible movie. No way that garbage heap rates higher than 2.

2016 is legit funny and we watch it almost as frequently as the OG.  And Chris Hemsworth is hysterical as Kevin.  I get it if Melissa McCarthy puts some people out but what about this movie is bad? 

My impression is that people just saw "Girl Ghostbusters" and generally flew off the handle without giving it a real shot.  2016 is mostly played for laughs and it delivers.

Ghostbusters in the pinnacle of smart, witty comedy that works for people of all ages.  All I saw was the 2016 trailer, and it screamed dumbed down, obnoxious "Ha-ha queef is funny" humor.  Sure, that can be funny, but not under the Ghostbusters tree,

Editorials Team · Posted
21 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Ghostbusters in the pinnacle of smart, witty comedy that works for people of all ages.  All I saw was the 2016 trailer, and it screamed dumbed down, obnoxious "Ha-ha queef is funny" humor.  Sure, that can be funny, but not under the Ghostbusters tree,

YARN | - Make them hard. - Ready! | Ghostbusters (1984) | Video clips by  quotes | 9734a98b | 紗

• Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

So ghost BJs and dickless Walter Peck jokes are the pinnacle of smart comedy but you draw the line at fart jokes?  (The queef was implied.) 

Ghostbusters is a 10 for sure, and the best of the franchise by a mile, but we're not talking Shakespeare here.

Editorials Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

So ghost BJs and dickless Walter Peck jokes are the pinnacle of smart comedy but you draw the line at fart jokes?  (The queef was implied.) 

Ghostbusters is a 10 for sure, and the best of the franchise by a mile, but we're not talking Shakespeare here.

Did he ever manage to stick his key into her gate?  Asking for a friend.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I think I watched this like 37 times on cable

Not sure how that translates to a score.  I figure it says something about watchability (to a kid).

You probably would have loved this one!

One of the cast members was Pia Zadora in her first acting (sorta) role.

• Love 1