IGNORED

Game Debate #39: Mega Man X

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

One of the only times I'd ever give a 10.

This game's intro stage is the perfect tutorial that isn't put forth as one. The controls are precise, the colours pop, the music is legendary, and the darker, grittier story is what Mega Man needed to evolve.

There aren't enough superlatives for me to describe how amazing and perfectly balanced I think this game is. I speed run this game several times a year on SNES just because I love it so much, and is easily a desert island game or one I'd keep if I had to sell all but a few titles.

Edited by Renmauzo
Spelling error

One of the best released that year, although 1993 was a banger of a year. Doom, Secret of Mana, Starfox, Links Awakening, Mario All-stars, ZAMN, DuckTales 2. 

MegaMan X was a soft reboot and for better or worse kept the series going for a few more years.  I always enjoyed the X series but I know it gets a lot of flack. 

23 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

One of the best released that year, although 1993 was a banger of a year. Doom, Secret of Mana, Starfox, Links Awakening, Mario All-stars, ZAMN, DuckTales 2. 

MegaMan X was a soft reboot and for better or worse kept the series going for a few more years.  I always enjoyed the X series but I know it gets a lot of flack. 

And Megaman 6

• Like 1

I give it an 8, and also feel it is the franchise high point which is sad. 😄  I think they tried to do the right thing with it, looking to Nintendo and trying to rip off their style of exploration and growth with items/hidden items, and implemented it in some fairly terrible ways.  Unfortunately they stuck too which story aside, didn't help improve things at all.  Mega Man just starts out too mega gimped, typically causes an obvious balance issue until you get things ticked off some to eek it up to the balance of the NES run of games.  Having to pop in and out of stages, only after completed no less, to come back for armor, life, parts...it's aggravating and annoying as it's not free flowing and quite jarring.

Had maybe the X game been an X world, like Super Metroid, where you can creep a little more, then find a robot master and gain access to another spread of the land, that would have been great.  But trying to shoehorn that SM3 style of growth with locked set stage designs sucks.  That said, I did finish the first, liked it enough to bother with that, even getting the hidden move too, but I've never gone back for a long time to do it again as it gets tiresome.

Killer game and one I have incredibly strong nostalgia and experience with. I loved how completing certain robot masters actually affected changes to other masters' stages. I loved the hidden upgrades and the obscure-but-totally-worth-it "Hadoken" power-up. Great graphics, memorable music, not too challenging but not a total cake-walk.

As incredibly strongly as I feel about it and consider it one of the greatest games on the SNES, I don't think it quite earns the full 10/10...but I have no qualms about calling it a 9.

When I first played Mega Man X, my immediate thoughts was "this is what Mega Man needed", it's the perfect example of how the SNES tries to iterate over the NES in the most succesful manner. Everything the game did at the time felt so new and fresh. The dash mechanic, the wall jumps and sliding, and the upgrades you could find around the stages. It is also one of the more challenging Mega Man games out there.

In retrospect, and replaying all of the classic NES titles, I've realised that a lot of MMX's qualities are a bit more superficial, and in terms of pure gameplay I prefer the more basic scope of the classic NES titles (3 and 4 especially), but that doesn't keep Mega Man X from being an amazingly good game.

9/10 Everyone needs to play this.

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 2

Almost a perfect game. A little harder and a few more collectibles would have been perfect... Something between X and X2. The street fighter crossover blew my mind back in the day. 

Still a 10 as it's one of my favourite games - amazing music, amazing controls, great replayability, and an absolute classic. Probably top 10 SNES games. 

9, pretty close to 10 though; on my personal spreadsheet this game basically swings back and forth between around the bottom of 10 and top of 9 depending on my mood.

I don't think it's too much of a problem since it's pretty easy and quick to go pick up but the Dash probably shouldn't have required an upgrade.

I gave it a 6.  I still greatly prefer the 8-bit iterations and the mainline series to it.  It is pretty good...but my only experience with it is on the SNES Classic.  I think, at the time, I was mad that it was a whole new Mega Man and not the one I devoted hours to in 1, 2, and 3.  I only recently played it when the SNES Classic came out, and even then, for the first year or so having the Classic unit, I avoided playing the game.  I finally started playing it last year during COVID and found it to be pretty good, but had me longing for Mega Man 2 and 3, for some reason!  Nostalgia probably talking.

• Like 1

I can't remember: is this the game where Mega Man talks like a four year old boy?  I remember playing one of the SNES Mega Man's decades ago and, while the game was great, the cutscenes where Mega Man spoke like a toddler where pain-inducing.  In my head Mega Man always had this bad-ass robot voice, then hearing him speak for the first time... HOLEEEEE-SHIT.........

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I can't remember: is this the game where Mega Man talks like a four year old boy?  I remember playing one of the SNES Mega Man's decades ago and, while the game was great, the cutscenes where Mega Man spoke like a toddler where pain-inducing.  In my head Mega Man always had this bad-ass robot voice, then hearing him speak for the first time... HOLEEEEE-SHIT.........

You’re probably thinking Mega Man 8 on PS1.

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Here’s the badass robot voice you were looking for: