IGNORED

The Not So Chubby Cherub Challenge!!!!

Jeevan

Events Helper · Posted

Valentine-Cherub-VGS-01.png.aa2988f1231bc12b92ac54ec011f2107.png

Come one, come all, this is the first of hopefully many annual vgs holiday events!  

The Valentine's Day challenge is one that may make or break you.  To compete you must be willing to put yourself through a bit of stress and challenge yourself to have some willpower. 

As the chubby cherub, you sure do like to eat.  But the problem is, good ole' Jeeves is trying to get you fit enough for Valentine's day.  He has a prize for you if you can do it!

Challenge:

Play 1 player chubby cherub.  This can be on emulator or cart, but all rules apply from the nes weekly and other contests.  I.E. the following:

The contest ends Sunday, 2/14/2021 at 11 PM VGS time.  Your user name MUST be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

The goal is to beat all the stages on chubby cherub and have the lowest score.  This means you will have to have some willpower not to eat all the grapes, apples, ice-cream, rice and cakes throughout the levels.  Lollypops should be avoided as much as you can.  Now that being said, you will have to eat some or you will shrivel up and die.  So the objective is to find the happy medium and stay fit enough for your Valentine's day sweetie .  

Play Chubby Cherub on 1 player mode

Play until Game Over or you beat Level 12.

Take a picture and share here in this thread.

Furthest progression with the lowest score wins the contest!

Contest starts at the time of posting!!!!

Good luck and enjoy!!!!

Prize(s):  1st place $25 amazon gift card

2nd place $15 amazon gift card

3rd place $10 amazon gift card

Edited by Jeevan
Update to rulez, level 12 is the last stage to beat!!!!
  • Like 11
  • Wow! 3
  • Love 1

Events Helper · Posted

1st - Red  S13  25,090 pts.

2nd - ZeldaFreak  S13  27,940 pts.

3rd - Bearcat-Doug  S13  65,330 pts.

4th - Dr. Morbis  S13  129,170 pts.

5th - Nesfiend Stage 10  39,300 pts

6th - DoctorEncore(aka Gloves sucks)  Stage 8  19,810 pts

7th - RegularGuyGamer Stage 8  37,470 pts

8th - mideast  S5  11,040

9th - FireHazard51  Stage 5  16,740 pts

10th - James Robot stage 5  18,200 pts

11th - Gloves Stage 5  23,230 pts 

12th - drxandy stage 3  4,420 pts.

13th - SuperJimTendo Stage 2  4,550

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
26 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Cool contest, but why is your Chubby Cherub wearing clothes?

He is athletic cherub 😉  The fitter version of chubby

Funny fact:  I did a banner for the contests as well.......It didn't pass inspection from the art guys and one of the admins who shall remain nameless.  If we get enough participants, maybe I will show the banner off.

Edit:  Also to note, @CasualCart did the cherub and @BortLicensePlate did the actual banner part 😊

1. This game sucks
  2. The manual for this game sucks
  3. Getting no scope headshot sniped by dogs sucks
  4. I suck at this game

Day 1: 9 Feb 2021 - 3810 - Stage 3 Start

Day 2: 11 Feb 2021 - 24280 - Stage 7

Day 3: 12 Feb 2021 -  26140 - Stage 8

Day 4: 13 Feb 2021 - 24770 - Stage 8

IMG_20210213_123111.jpg.dc35cc84612c14e6ba1a7426638c53f9.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Haha 2

Events Helper · Posted
20 minutes ago, Vectrex28 said:

Sadly, my Chubby Cherub cart is back in Switzerland. However, I'm gonna hit a Book Off and buy a copy of Obake No Q Taro if they have it, providing scores from OnQT are accepted

I do not personally see a problem with it, but let me deliberate with the fellow staffers to see if they know of any differences besides sprites.  Also, if there are objections from the fellow participants, then I would have to say no.  Give me a few and we shall see the final answer 😛

Edit:  I am not as versed in these things as what I probably should be 🤣

Has anyone accidentally fell into the dungeon in stage 3 yet? What a bizzare area with no risk/reward and hence literally no purpose.

Some tips for those just starting:

1. Flying is much easier and faster than walking through the levels. You will incur a higher point total since you have to collect more food to keep your power level up, but it's worth it to get farther.
  2. Try to only pick up strawberries and cherries since they're worth less points.
  3. Your friend appears in a random window at the end of the stage, so you can't cheese that. To get the lowest possible first stage you'd have to reset until you find him first try.
  4. You don't need the Gau Gau to progress, so just skip the lollipops and don't kill enemies.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1