IGNORED

2020 Holiday Chiptune Music Contest

Deadeye

Homebrew Team · Posted

Announcing an impromptu chiptune (think 8-bit music) contest.  Experienced music artist, amateur, or never dabbled before, all welcomed.  There is a prize, but this is mostly for fun / holiday cheer.

The Particulars:

• You can use any software to compose, track, or record your chiptune as long as it can export a playable file (.NSF, MP3, WAV, etc)
  • This is more subjective, but the theme to be holiday / Christmas
  • You can limit to what can play on a NES, Master System, or other 8-bit console / computer, but it is not required.
  • EDIT: Collaborations are okay (only one prize though)

Submission:

• Submissions are open now until 12/20 @ 11:59 PM VGS Time.  
  • You can submit one entry.
    • You can edit or replace your entry during the open period of submissions, or get feedback, but only one entry at time of close.  

Voting:

• Following the submission period, an embedded playlist of the chiptunes will be made and a corresponding poll open until 12/24 @ 11:59 PM VGS Time.
  • Voting is open to all VGS members.

Prize:

• Choice of either 8-Bit XMAS 2020 cart or $25 Amazon Gift Card

Nintendo The Legend of Zelda™ Game Cartridge Metal Ornament - Keepsake  Ornaments - Hallmark

Edited by Deadeye
Add collaborations are allowed
  • Like 7

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, ZeldaFreak said:

This is unrelated to the thread, but I love your new profile pic, didn't realize you had changed it 😆

Thanks!  @CasualCart made it, along with my SUPER AWESOME BANNER! hahaha

Ok!

So, I made a tune here, trying to sort of combine a known christmas theme with some original bits and changes so it's not just transposing a basic christmas song.

I am VERY new at this so hopefully it's not too off-kilter!  Any feedback, good or bad, is appreciated!

https://onlinesequencer.net/1745749

• Like 4

Editorials Team · Posted
38 minutes ago, spacepup said:

Ok!

So, I made a tune here, trying to sort of combine a known christmas theme with some original bits and changes so it's not just transposing a basic christmas song.

I am VERY new at this so hopefully it's not too off-kilter!  Any feedback, good or bad, is appreciated!

Whoa, ok, that's a pretty neat mashup!

And that site looks like it has a manageable learning curve; very visual, unlike many trackers. I guess I'll try to make something as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spacepup said:

Ok!

Oh, wow! So that's what you commissioned CasualCart to do! I didn't even realize, it's so different from his usual artstyle. That's awesome!

Graphics Team · Posted
18 hours ago, Gloves said:

He's a man of many skills. Have you seen his cool pants collection?

Did someone say CasualCart's cool pants? I drew all over this pair with a sharpie last month...

(Also, I can't stop laughing at how you worded this - makes it sound like having a collection of neat pants is a skill).

-CasualCart

672480341_SharpiePants.jpg.761e99b644aa92b7b380ef499ede5ce9.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, CasualCart said:

Did someone say CasualCart's cool pants? I drew all over this pair with a sharpie last month...

(Also, I can't stop laughing at how you worded this - makes it sound like having a collection of neat pants is a skill).

-CasualCart

You customized pants to add to your collection of cool pants. Is skill!

• Haha 2

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

-CasualCart

It is a skill.....

• Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, CasualCart said:

-CasualCart

Wait wait, that's you @CasualCart standing next to the SFC controller, soooo, whose legs are those, wearing the cool pants? Did you draw on them while someone else was wearing them??

• Haha 3

Started composing earlier today, I'd thought I share some creation process while I work on the track, consider it a sneak peek as you will.

This is step 1 of the process: Writing the song in 0cc-Famitracker (First time with the fork actually!)

VGSChrissyProcess1.thumb.PNG.dd0ce64dcb4b4e5aa455884e01e2d231.PNG

So far, the track is already a minute and a half long and it's only half complete, so expect a lengthy, arpy-licious NES song when it's done. 😉

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Famicuber said:

Started composing earlier today, I'd thought I share some creation process while I work on the track, consider it a sneak peek as you will.

This is step 1 of the process: Writing the song in 0cc-Famitracker (First time with the fork actually!)

VGSChrissyProcess1.thumb.PNG.dd0ce64dcb4b4e5aa455884e01e2d231.PNG

So far, the track is already a minute and a half long and it's only half complete, so expect a lengthy, arpy-licious NES song when it's done. 😉

I would use Famitracker, but I could never quite get my head around it personally, so I usually just use stuff like the Sequencer Deadeye linked to whenever I do stuff like this.

I will say that even though this is fun, it's obvious that one of the people who are actually experienced with making chiptunes is going to win this, haha.

Graphics Team · Posted
21 hours ago, Splain said:

Wait wait, that's you @CasualCart standing next to the SFC controller, soooo, whose legs are those, wearing the cool pants? Did you draw on them while someone else was wearing them??

An astute observation, my dear Splain - but inconsistencies like this can't overcome Cartoon Logic!!!

(Okay I'm gonna stop derailing this thread now...)

-CasualCart

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 2

Song writing has been finished! Let's check out how long it is and OH?!! :classic_blink:

VGSChrissyProcess2FiveMinuteSong.png.dd6025a30b94685eeed283d1e61bb272.pngVGSChrissyProcess2FrameLimit.png.ce9ea0fb7b19ce1a2cbd823cf97350f7.png

Wow, well! VGS, looks like you're in for a massive Christmas feast! I knew that it'll be long but this is a first I've composed something this long.

Now, I would just send the .wav here, but instead, I will now go into Step 2 of the process: Converting the song to the sound engine.

I will start doing that the next day here, stay tuned. 😉

• Like 3

Started the manual process of converting the song to my sound engine, here's a shot of the sound engine Dev ROM, playing the track, running in MESEN.

main_001.png.1e74de1e5259af4865971e66de5df7bb.png

Note that the timer shown in the shot is how much I've converted so far today so I have alot more to convert in the upcoming days. 😅

• Jeevan unpinned and pinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to VGS!

Play, Make, Collect.

Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!