IGNORED

The Not So Chubby Cherub Challenge!!!!

Jeevan

Events Helper · Posted
8 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

@Jeevan, I'm ready to finally admit that this was a good idea for a contest. NOT because this is a good game. I still think it sucks. But playing for low score makes it WAY more interesting and competitive.

So.. good job.

Wait till you see my next concoction for a contest 😛 

• Angry 1

Man, I'm just trying to beat the game as a first time clear for my personal list, so don't mind the high score (I'm going for points because: points = free men), but I died on my best run at the final boss of level 12 on my last life 😞  So freaking close!!!!

I'll give a couple more hours on Saturday, but after that, I got family crap to do for the rest of the weekend...

Chubby1.JPG

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Man, I'm just trying to beat the game as a first time clear for my personal list, so don't mind the high score (I'm going for points because: points = free men), but I died on my best run at the final boss of level 12 on my last life 😞  So freaking close!!!!

I'll give a couple more hours on Saturday, but after that, I got family crap to do for the rest of the weekend...

Chubby1.JPG

wow!  strong showing.  I'll put u on the list when I get home tonight.  

Events Helper · Posted
7 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Whenever someone clears all 12 stages, should they take their picture as soon as stage 13 starts? That's usually what we do during the weekly contests for these 1 loop rules.

yes, that would be correct, before and after if possible, but if u have a 60k score on stage 1 or 13 or whatever I think that is acceptable 

8 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

This game has taught me I could never be a speedrunner. Playing through stages 1-6 over and over again just to get to 7 and beyond is the definition of tedium.

That's what I've been experiencing. I can cruise through the first half, but I've only been slowly chipping away at the last few levels. 

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's what I've been experiencing. I can cruise through the first half, but I've only been slowly chipping away at the last few levels. 

I guess if I was taking this seriously I would use save states to practice the later levels, but that kind of ruins the spirit of the competition for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DoctorEncore said:

I guess if I was taking this seriously I would use save states to practice the later levels, but that kind of ruins the spirit of the competition for me.

The repetition of playing through the stages helped me. The practice gave me a better shot to try and find the best path through the stages. Finding areas where I could walk safely instead of flying saved me from having to eat too much.

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I can't keep up with this game for another day. The hit box is ever changing, the deaths are cheap and the early stages are too boring. 

My Cherub had Chubbed it's last Cher.

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Nah, your score is safe if you are walking. Id be lucky just to finish. End of level 7 and 8 tare me up. I dont know how many runs I have lett in me. 

30 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm probably done, but I doubt my score is safe. I had a good run, but it could have been a lot better. 

Agree with all of you. I've only got a couple runs left in me. I can only tolerate getting my cranium exploded by the sniper dogs on 7 and 8 so many times. Also the music is boring its way into my soul.

37 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I can only tolerate getting my cranium exploded by the sniper dogs on 7 and 8 so many times.

Dude my last play through I had two deaths on stage 8 in a row by a dog that hit me half across the screen. Meanwhile on stage 3 the barks go through the characters lower half, no death lol.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm probably done, but I doubt my score is safe. I had a good run, but it could have been a lot better. 

Naw, that score is safe.  I just beat the game (stage 12) for my personal list, but I got tons of points so that I'd have extra tries on the harder levels.  And now that I've done it, I just do not have it in me to try a low-score run.

Some food for thought:

-First NES game with a day/night cycle?
-First/only NES game with a naked protagonist?
-First/only NES game where you can go to heaven (clouds) and hell (pits)?

Hints/Tips:

-Free Power refill: fall in a pit on purpose; it's easy to get out of (they're all the same), you can't lose lives or time in the pit, and when you reappear in the real world your power meter is refilled.
-To escape a pit, jump up to the lollipop, then up to an invisible ledge under 'T' in STAGE, then up to an invisible ledge under 'G' in stage, then over to the door.
-Not really helpful for this low-score contest, but to get bonus points and a Power refill, attach the top of your head to the bottom of any halo that comes out of a smoke stack and ride it up into the sky/clouds/heaven.
-To minimize your score, wait until the timer is past 19:00 in levels 4-6 before finding your friend so you won't get massive bonus points for time (I never did this, but it seems like an obvious strat for low-score runs).

Chubby2.JPG

• Like 3