IGNORED

WATA Turnaround Times?

14 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Yeah, fuck those people that keep the company running and are the sole reason Wata is even able to operate.

So your solution is for Wata to no longer exist because without investors, that's what happens.

Yes, exactly, fuck those people since, oh, I don't know, WATA ought to be able to operate off of the money they've taken from people who they haven't  bothered to provide services to yet.  You know, the people who paid up but haven't received the services or their goods back.  If WATA can't operate without taking in additional revenue beyond what they were already paid to do, there's something fucked up in their books, business model, management, etc.  (There's a whole other thread where a lot of folks infer and go into detail about exactly those points, but I won't go into that here.)  In general, if you have to take in more money to give out product/money/whatever to people who already gave you money, that's kind of the basis of a ponzi scheme.  Is that what you're referring that WATA is and should be allowed to operate as?

I never said they shouldn't have investors, I said in regard to investors who insist that WATA ignore months, if not more than a year's worth of backlogs, versus servicing brand new customers who have only (relatively) just now ponied up top dollar to have the speediest service done...fuck them.  There gets to be a point at which it's inexcusable that the regular/"pleb" backlog should no longer exist, or should have reasonably caught up with the turnaround times that those customers originally had advertised to them when they ponied up in the past.  If WATA just can't get those done while tripping over themselves to take care of $200-300 fee "high priority" customers, it's time to close up submissions until the backlog clears, then reopen submissions once that's done.  There's only so long that people will put up with paying a company and not having them do exactly what they said they were going to do, and only so long beyond that before said company starts losing consumer confidence.  I'm amazed that more of the rug hasn't been pulled out from under them because of that bullshit at this point.

14 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

It is $85, he has his facts wrong.

True, although you have beenso incredibly helpful in pointing out the specifics...oh wait, no, that's not right.

So, in looking at WATA's pricing page quickly, I saw loose and "CIB/boxed" categories under each tier, which I read as "loose" and CIB/"sealed".  In looking back at it, loose/sealed is $85 under "Speed Run," while "CIB/boxed" is $170 under the same category.  So, yeah, my bad for "fat fingering it" when not being familiar with their pricing anyway.  Still no excuse for them not having cleared out the "Select" and "Turbo" existing queues (submitted, most likely, at less than what is currently being requested) after all this time, though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

If WATA just can't get those done while tripping over themselves to take care of $200-300 fee "high priority" customers, it's time to close up submissions until the backlog clears, then reopen submissions once that's done.

I’d argue they shouldn’t even have select or turbo tiers. clearly they can’t keep up with demand there. Speedrun MAYBE. Warp zone fine. They just don’t have the staff or resources to handle this clearly. Heck even the materials shortage is good enough an excuse.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, OptOut said:

7447841_wataprices.jpg.f75d153b6730bf3c2acfbbc1a01d8e0f.jpg

Here’s my take:

* Select + Turbo => we do it when we can, quit hassling!

* Speed Run => we promise to speed run the cheque into our bank accounts; we can’t promise anything else.

* Warp Zone => *hint,hint* *wink,wink*   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

Yes, exactly, fuck those people since, oh, I don't know, WATA ought to be able to operate off of the money they've taken from people who they haven't  bothered to provide services to yet.  You know, the people who paid up but haven't received the services or their goods back.  If WATA can't operate without taking in additional revenue beyond what they were already paid to do, there's something fucked up in their books, business model, management, etc.  (There's a whole other thread where a lot of folks infer and go into detail about exactly those points, but I won't go into that here.)  In general, if you have to take in more money to give out product/money/whatever to people who already gave you money, that's kind of the basis of a ponzi scheme.  Is that what you're referring that WATA is and should be allowed to operate as?

I never said they shouldn't have investors, I said in regard to investors who insist that WATA ignore months, if not more than a year's worth of backlogs, versus servicing brand new customers who have only (relatively) just now ponied up top dollar to have the speediest service done...fuck them.  There gets to be a point at which it's inexcusable that the regular/"pleb" backlog should no longer exist, or should have reasonably caught up with the turnaround times that those customers originally had advertised to them when they ponied up in the past.  If WATA just can't get those done while tripping over themselves to take care of $200-300 fee "high priority" customers, it's time to close up submissions until the backlog clears, then reopen submissions once that's done.  There's only so long that people will put up with paying a company and not having them do exactly what they said they were going to do, and only so long beyond that before said company starts losing consumer confidence.  I'm amazed that more of the rug hasn't been pulled out from under them because of that bullshit at this point.

True, although you have beenso incredibly helpful in pointing out the specifics...oh wait, no, that's not right.

So, in looking at WATA's pricing page quickly, I saw loose and "CIB/boxed" categories under each tier, which I read as "loose" and CIB/"sealed".  In looking back at it, loose/sealed is $85 under "Speed Run," while "CIB/boxed" is $170 under the same category.  So, yeah, my bad for "fat fingering it" when not being familiar with their pricing anyway.  Still no excuse for them not having cleared out the "Select" and "Turbo" existing queues (submitted, most likely, at less than what is currently being requested) after all this time, though.

It's not whether they can operate off the money coming in, it's whether they need to fulfill contracts from the investors that funded the company initially. What you're asking them to do is literally impossible, if they stop generating revenue for the investors, they can get shut down either by the FTC or the SEC and sent into bankruptcy. I don't know that much about investment law but I'm sure one of those two entities would have something to say about it.

You also didn't clearly read what I initially quoted and my response. Both myself and that person submitted our games under Speedrun, the lowest / slowest possible submission tier we could have chosen because our games are sealed. Wata promised to have them done in 45 business days and we both experienced completed grading in under 20 business days so they're servicing their customers and their backlog in the times they promised to do them. Will I have my games back within 45 business days? No, and it's not because of lack of service, it's because Wata is experiencing supply shortages, just like the rest of the world right now. They're short on acrylic cases so my games will sit in post grading for the next 3-4 months because I'm that far down the line to receive the cases.

If you don't understand how this works, that's fine but don't just write random nonsense that you think the company should do when it is literally an impossibility. I don't defend Wata like some people do but I'll defend any business that's being shit on for not providing a service they clearly are providing in the time frame in which I paid them to provide it.

6 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

It's not whether they can operate off the money coming in, it's whether they need to fulfill contracts from the investors that funded the company initially. What you're asking them to do is literally impossible, if they stop generating revenue for the investors, they can get shut down either by the FTC or the SEC and sent into bankruptcy. I don't know that much about investment law but I'm sure one of those two entities would have something to say about it.

You also didn't clearly read what I initially quoted and my response. Both myself and that person submitted our games under Speedrun, the lowest / slowest possible submission tier we could have chosen because our games are sealed. Wata promised to have them done in 45 business days and we both experienced completed grading in under 20 business days so they're servicing their customers and their backlog in the times they promised to do them. Will I have my games back within 45 business days? No, and it's not because of lack of service, it's because Wata is experiencing supply shortages, just like the rest of the world right now. They're short on acrylic cases so my games will sit in post grading for the next 3-4 months because I'm that far down the line to receive the cases.

If you don't understand how this works, that's fine but don't just write random nonsense that you think the company should do when it is literally an impossibility. I don't defend Wata like some people do but I'll defend any business that's being shit on for not providing a service they clearly are providing in the time frame in which I paid them to provide it.

I submitted some PS2 games Turbo tier January 10. At the time estimated return time was 45 business days, so 9 weeks. Buffer it with a week shipping there and back... 11 weeks estimate on getting it back, which would put it at first week of April. April came and went and my order finally entered post grading... in August. Now it is December, 4 months later, and it still hasn't moved. I'm assuming they're run out of cases again as I haven't seen anyone posting newly graded DVD sized games past few weeks.

The issue is they're not stopping grading on Speed Run and Warp Zone tiers, so they're also getting stuck in post grading. Alright now cases have come in... Who is going to get slabbed first? The Speed Run and Warp Zones of course. Unless they order an entire shipping container of cases I assume mine is going to sit to the side, hopefully remaining in the condition I submitted it in and not get lost. 

It seems like it's always the DVD sized cases they run out of. They either should cut off submissions for those types of games OR raise the price significantly on higher tiers to where people have to think twice before submitting. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

You know what else is problematic for them?  Committing fraud by accepting payment for goods and/or services and then never delivering.  Fuck the investors.  They're ultimately creating a legal problem and a customer optics problem (for everybody who doesn't have their heads shoved up WATA's ass, anyway) the longer this debacle goes on.  [Intelligent] People will only stand for that kind of bait and switch runaround for so long before they just just start voting with their dollars en masse, which would really fuck the investors due to no new income.  They're not a publicly traded company, so I really don't know how you think that all works in regard to how WATA is behaving in regard to fulfilling their obligations after being paid, gut near universally, such "private" companies have far, far more flexibility in what they're able to do in order to achieve/perpetuate actually completing the duties that is literally their business model for all customers.

Now, if I just drop any pretense of discussion or argument with the points that you're making, what you're really pointing out is that Jim Halperin and all of the other people whose collective names have been raked through the mud by Karl Jobst and others are the only ones pulling any strings, putting them in direct control of how the company operates, requiring/forcing WATA to do sketchy shit, etc., which is exactly the opposite of what has been argued again and again in the main Heritage Auctions thread.  So...which is it?  Does WATA have a duty, first and foremost, to their paid customers to communicate clearly and quickly and complete the grading and return of their submissions as actually quickly as they can (at times bypassing higher tiers to get long, long forgotten lower tier submissions out the door), thus continuing to actually perform and follow their business model and generate steady, reliable revenue for their investors or, as you've suggested, say "fuck 'em" about the mounds and mounds of lower tier submissions they've sat on for months while continuing to immediately and quickly process only the highest tier (read: most expensive) submissions so as to make a quick buck, again, "for their investors."

You seem to believe that companies are absolutely, 100% beholden to whatever their investors want or say, which isn't technically the case.  Presidents/CEOs have not uncommonly done their own thing, regardless of what their board says.  Lots of those have been summarily voted out, but it didn't stop them in the short term from doing whatever they were doing (whether it was what they believed was right, it was them refusing something they considered morally dubious, it was them padding their own pockets, etc.).  I very clearly understand how it's supposed to work, but hey, you and I both have fuck all in regard to actual, direct insight into what WATA's investors are telling them to do, so how do you know I'm wrong?  Just because you don't necessarily agree with something doesn't make it gobledygook, especially since more than one other member seems to agree with me.  Companies fall when they piss off and ignore their customers far more often than what they don't always dance to the fiddle of whoever's at the head of the corporate table.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, A_Feisty_Pickle said:

I submitted some PS2 games Turbo tier January 10. At the time estimated return time was 45 business days, so 9 weeks. Buffer it with a week shipping there and back... 11 weeks estimate on getting it back, which would put it at first week of April. April came and went and my order finally entered post grading... in August. Now it is December, 4 months later, and it still hasn't moved. I'm assuming they're run out of cases again as I haven't seen anyone posting newly graded DVD sized games past few weeks.

The issue is they're not stopping grading on Speed Run and Warp Zone tiers, so they're also getting stuck in post grading. Alright now cases have come in... Who is going to get slabbed first? The Speed Run and Warp Zones of course. Unless they order an entire shipping container of cases I assume mine is going to sit to the side, hopefully remaining in the condition I submitted it in and not get lost. 

It seems like it's always the DVD sized cases they run out of. They either should cut off submissions for those types of games OR raise the price significantly on higher tiers to where people have to think twice before submitting. 

Oh, you just don't understand.  Re-read what you're replying to, it's all about appeasing WATA's investors, not appeasing customers or fulfilling the actual obligations that WATA has essentially formed a contract with you to perform, after receiving payment and your potentially irreplaceable, potentially priceless goods.  Why on earth would you be upset about being lied to when WATA's investors are being kept fat and happy?  That's really what's important.  /s  (That's an indicator for sarcasm, just in case anyone might choose to try and read that as my actual feelings.)

My games are there since june 6 . I paid them in advance more than $300 USD for a "speed run order"  everytime i write them to ask about my games they tell me they don't have DVD cases and they don't know when they will get them. Why do they offer a grading service for Ps2 games if they can't provide? 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

You know what else is problematic for them?  Committing fraud by accepting payment for goods and/or services and then never delivering.  Fuck the investors.  They're ultimately creating a legal problem and a customer optics problem (for everybody who doesn't have their heads shoved up WATA's ass, anyway) the longer this debacle goes on.  [Intelligent] People will only stand for that kind of bait and switch runaround for so long before they just just start voting with their dollars en masse, which would really fuck the investors due to no new income.  They're not a publicly traded company, so I really don't know how you think that all works in regard to how WATA is behaving in regard to fulfilling their obligations after being paid, gut near universally, such "private" companies have far, far more flexibility in what they're able to do in order to achieve/perpetuate actually completing the duties that is literally their business model for all customers.

Now, if I just drop any pretense of discussion or argument with the points that you're making, what you're really pointing out is that Jim Halperin and all of the other people whose collective names have been raked through the mud by Karl Jobst and others are the only ones pulling any strings, putting them in direct control of how the company operates, requiring/forcing WATA to do sketchy shit, etc., which is exactly the opposite of what has been argued again and again in the main Heritage Auctions thread.  So...which is it?  Does WATA have a duty, first and foremost, to their paid customers to communicate clearly and quickly and complete the grading and return of their submissions as actually quickly as they can (at times bypassing higher tiers to get long, long forgotten lower tier submissions out the door), thus continuing to actually perform and follow their business model and generate steady, reliable revenue for their investors or, as you've suggested, say "fuck 'em" about the mounds and mounds of lower tier submissions they've sat on for months while continuing to immediately and quickly process only the highest tier (read: most expensive) submissions so as to make a quick buck, again, "for their investors."

You seem to believe that companies are absolutely, 100% beholden to whatever their investors want or say, which isn't technically the case.  Presidents/CEOs have not uncommonly done their own thing, regardless of what their board says.  Lots of those have been summarily voted out, but it didn't stop them in the short term from doing whatever they were doing (whether it was what they believed was right, it was them refusing something they considered morally dubious, it was them padding their own pockets, etc.).  I very clearly understand how it's supposed to work, but hey, you and I both have fuck all in regard to actual, direct insight into what WATA's investors are telling them to do, so how do you know I'm wrong?  Just because you don't necessarily agree with something doesn't make it gobledygook, especially since more than one other member seems to agree with me.  Companies fall when they piss off and ignore their customers far more often than what they don't always dance to the fiddle of whoever's at the head of the corporate table.

I can't continue this conversation if you're going to be like this. Company owners have 2 options:

1. Do whatever the investors say.

2. Get out of the way.

There is no moral third option. Also, you keep talking about them selling a service they're not providing but my entire previous post describes how they ARE providing it. I was promised my game graded in 45 business days and it was done in under 20. Now they're waiting on supply chain holdups which are global. Do you know why there are new car shortages at all dealerships? Worldwide supply chain issues for all sorts of things. You can't be mad at a company for being victim to a global shortage of a product they depend on.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

I can't continue this conversation if you're going to be like this. Company owners have 2 options:

1. Do whatever the investors say.

2. Get out of the way.

There is no moral third option. Also, you keep talking about them selling a service they're not providing but my entire previous post describes how they ARE providing it. I was promised my game graded in 45 business days and it was done in under 20. Now they're waiting on supply chain holdups which are global. Do you know why there are new car shortages at all dealerships? Worldwide supply chain issues for all sorts of things. You can't be mad at a company for being victim to a global shortage of a product they depend on.

Ah, ok, gotcha, you're going with the typical Code Monkey deliberately obtuse "I don't understand" [for "reasons"] response.  No problem.

Once again, please provide evidence of what WATA's investors are telling the people actually in the positions to run the company to do, otherwise please don't bring up that "point" again.  At best, you're making a blanket statement about how their investors are just telling them to make money, which is what literally all investor boards tell their companies.  What's being implied here, though, is that they're telling WATA to do so to the degree of disregarding completing the services paid for by the uppermost tier at the expense of never completing the services paid for by the lowermost tier, since those bottom rung folks keep complaining (here, Facebook, Reddit, go pick one) about how they are all months and months outside of the turnaround time promised and either not being told anything about their submissions or nothing specifically regarding the supply issues with the cases/inserts/etc.

So, once again, for those in the nosebleeds (or you, who appears to be sitting several miles outside of the furthest seats in the stadium, wrapped up in a lead blanket, locked in three successive chests, welded into a soundproof room which was sealed with concrete under the basement of a house, so as to avoid hearing anything that didn't come from your own lips) it's past time for WATA to put the brakes on until they've got all of their backlogs cleared up and stop letting newcomers choosing the fastest processing tier(s) to bypass those who have been more than patient waiting for their submissions to arrive.

You paid for the highest tier of service and, unsurprisingly, were satisfied when your stuff got done on time by being pushed to the front of the queue, regardless of where your submission fell in the overall scheme of things.  You'd have probably been awfully pissed off if someone like me was in charge of scheduling that shit, because you'd have sat and waited until stuff from late last year and early this year was out the door before anything else got moving again, "investors" (once again, you have literally zero evidence of what those people have actually directed WATA's operators to do, if anything) be damned.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Ah, ok, gotcha, you're going with the typical Code Monkey deliberately obtuse "I don't understand" [for "reasons"] response.  No problem.

Once again, please provide evidence of what WATA's investors are telling the people actually in the positions to run the company to do, otherwise please don't bring up that "point" again.  At best, you're making a blanket statement about how their investors are just telling them to make money, which is what literally all investor boards tell their companies.  What's being implied here, though, is that they're telling WATA to do so to the degree of disregarding completing the services paid for by the uppermost tier at the expense of never completing the services paid for by the lowermost tier, since those bottom rung folks keep complaining (here, Facebook, Reddit, go pick one) about how they are all months and months outside of the turnaround time promised and either not being told anything about their submissions or nothing specifically regarding the supply issues with the cases/inserts/etc.

So, once again, for those in the nosebleeds (or you, who appears to be sitting several miles outside of the furthest seats in the stadium, wrapped up in a lead blanket, locked in three successive chests, welded into a soundproof room which was sealed with concrete under the basement of a house, so as to avoid hearing anything that didn't come from your own lips) it's past time for WATA to put the brakes on until they've got all of their backlogs cleared up and stop letting newcomers choosing the fastest processing tier(s) to bypass those who have been more than patient waiting for their submissions to arrive.

You paid for the highest tier of service and, unsurprisingly, were satisfied when your stuff got done on time by being pushed to the front of the queue, regardless of where your submission fell in the overall scheme of things.  You'd have probably been awfully pissed off if someone like me was in charge of scheduling that shit, because you'd have sat and waited until stuff from late last year and early this year was out the door before anything else got moving again, "investors" (once again, you have literally zero evidence of what those people have actually directed WATA's operators to do, if anything) be damned.

I really tried to have a conversation with you, I even tried twice to tell you I didn't pay for the highest tier of service, I literally paid for the slowest one they offered for sealed games (Speedrun). It didn't work.

I also never made fun of you in any way.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Mijael said:

My games are there since june 6 . I paid them in advance more than $300 USD for a "speed run order"  everytime i write them to ask about my games they tell me they don't have DVD cases and they don't know when they will get them. Why do they offer a grading service for Ps2 games if they can't provide? 

this is actually insane to me. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

On 12/6/2021 at 1:37 AM, Code Monkey said:

Wata is experiencing supply shortages, just like the rest of the world right now

You can thank China for that. They hold the leash, and they know it. 

On 12/6/2021 at 1:37 AM, Code Monkey said:

They're short on acrylic cases

Which brings me to my next point I am going to make. There are other countries that can do what Chinese manufacturers are doing. Until the world makes the painfully short term switch, there on China's time and they ain't budging. 

16 hours ago, Mijael said:

In the future, anything more than a grand, go w/ Warpzone.

How often do you write them? 

My last order took 6 months on a 45 business days stretch. I stop sending them games until they get there act together with the new overlord or try someone new like P1 or wait for CGC.

On 12/6/2021 at 9:26 AM, Mijael said:

I finally received all of my games from orders I sent them last June, besides DVD sized games. Every time I try to inquire about any sort of updates they send some copy paste reply.

Unfortunately it seems anyone who has sent a DVD game is screwed. My orders are were Select as well. So am I now going to have to wait for all the backlogged tiers above Select to get mine? No clue. It's a shitshow. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, AnimalHouse said:

In the future, anything more than a grand, go w/ Warpzone.

How often do you write them? 

My last order took 6 months on a 45 business days stretch. I stop sending them games until they get there act together with the new overlord or try someone new like P1 or wait for CGC.

I write them once a month . Actually i had big plans with Wata this year ; i was planning to grade  a bunch of cool games games but i decided to try them first with some ps2 games,  now they lost me forever and i am waiting for CGC. I send comic books to CGC from time to time and i am happy with them even if they had long waiting TAT they deliver on time or faster than the estimated time. 

Edited by Mijael

13 minutes ago, Mijael said:

I write them once a month . Actually i had big plans with Wata this year ; i was planning to grade  a bunch of cool games games but i decided to try them first with some ps2 games,  now they lost me forever and i am waiting for CGC. I send comic books to CGC from time to time and i am happy with them even if they had long waiting TAT they deliver on time or faster than the estimated time. 

Hahaha. Literally the same story for me. I submitted 2 orders to them to give them a test. Was planning on submitting quite a few more to them, but their lack of service has put such a sour taste in my mouth I don't want to spend any more money with them. Crazy to think how a few changes to their business would've made me give them a lot more $$$

• Like 1

I don't have much to add but I'm just bringing up that 1 year officially passed on 12/2 from when Wata received my copy of Riven for the PS1.  Yes, I submitted at the Select level, but I don't care who you are, this is ridiculous.

About a month ago, my game moved to the "Graded" status, but all that means is they've taken photos of my game, posted them and gave the label description only.  No grade has actually been posted.

Again, not much to add other than its officially been 1 year.  All typical complaints aside, it really does seem odd to me that they move there games into this semi-started status and let them set their for months.  I mean, I'd almost prefer to not see the grading process has started if it can't be finished within a month, tops.  I'm sure they have steps to their process, but simply cataloging the game as part of "grading" and not finishing the job just feels like bad customer relations.

I mean, yes, this is Wata, but waiting to post these details to the customer for a more cohesive experience just feels like low-hanging fruit.

• Sad 3

Can somebody explain to me how there is a supposed shortage of DVD-sized acrylic cases and yet no issues with the NES/SNES/N64 acrylic cases? Aren’t they all made of the same acrylic material? 

Am I missing something here? Or shenanigans...?

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, GPX said:

Can somebody explain to me how there is a supposed shortage of DVD-sized acrylic cases and yet no issues with the NES/SNES/N64 acrylic cases? Aren’t they all made of the same acrylic material? 

There's probably a shortage by comparison because not as many NES/SNES/N64 games exist in "gradable" quality, while everyone and there grandma is probably sending in their SUPER R@R3 L@@K copies of Minecraft, Halo, and Bioshock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

There's probably a shortage by comparison because not as many NES/SNES/N64 games exist in "gradable" quality, while everyone and there grandma is probably sending in their SUPER R@R3 L@@K copies of Minecraft, Halo, and Bioshock.

That’s a good point. Though it does seem to be the emphasis on focusing on getting the boxed games graded first and DVD-cased games are seemingly an afterthought. 

I get the feeling auction houses have the priority over general consumers, and with that, you’d tend to see the NES/SNES/N64 being submitted much more for grading. These tend to bring the bigger bucks. 

On 12/7/2021 at 3:00 PM, GPX said:

It's because nowadays, everyone will submit anything and everything under the sun for grading (see: modern pokemon).

This typically won't involve much of the cardboard box era.