IGNORED

Game Debate #4: Grand Theft Auto III

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

44 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but I'm interested
    • Never played it, never will

2/10

I remember all of the hype about this game when I had a PS2. It was pretty much the best thing since sliced bread. I played it and found it boring and was not really interested in the open world concept. To this day, I am still not a fan of these open world games. I blame this game for bringing this tedious and boring side job game genre to the forefront on consoles.

• Like 2

10/10 because it is one of the most important games ever released. Reading about this in magazines prior to release made it seem like a whole new type of game (which it was, especially for consoles). The when it was finally released, it actually lived up to the hype. I don't think it's aged particularly well, but it was truly something to behold at the time of release.

Vice City is still my favorite GTA though. That soundtrack is just killer.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

10/10 because it is one of the most important games ever released. Reading about this in magazines prior to release made it seem like a whole new type of game (which it was, especially for consoles). The when it was finally released, it actually lived up to the hype. I don't think it's aged particularly well, but it was truly something to behold at the time of release.

Vice City is still my favorite GTA though. That soundtrack is just killer.

Any game with Kenny Loggins as the DJ of his own rock station deserves a 10/10.

• Like 1

9/10.  The game was great at the time and still worth a playthrough now.  This basically created open world games as we know it.  The story was generic crime movie and there was nothing wrong with it.  The music was great.  I thought all the extra collections were cool at the time.  More time than I like to admit was spent collecting cars and hidden packages.  The combat could be a little rough with auto aim acting funny but it was still early on as far as 3D goes.  PC cleared that up. 

The only reason I wouldn't give it a 10 is to leave that slot open for Vice City.  It is the peak for that series in my opinion.  GTA III and Elder Scrolls III got me into open world games and I haven't gone back.

• Like 1

One of the best and most important video games ever released.  Sure, the sequels polished some rough edges but only in hindsight is it fair to rate them any higher.  GTA3 raised the bar in every aspect (gameplay, immersion, graphics, level design, audio, attitude). You've gotta give credit where it is due.. Rockstar changed the world with this game and imo we'd be nowhere without GTA3.  Easy 10/10

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

Easy 10 for me. Started and turned me on to this genre, love free styling, missions, collecting the stupid stuff, everything about it. Outside of 4, they just keep getting better too peaking with V and one of the best characters in gaming history with Trevor. 

I struggled between 9 and 10 here, but settled on 9.

It's a cliche at this point, but the feeling of being a master of your own sandbox had never been fully realized up until this point.
Not to mention the atmosphere of driving at night in the rain, listening to the wacky DJ banter on the radio stations.
I also appreciate the lack of a heavy story. It just leaves more room for action and personal interpretation. Makes it feel more like a personal journey, at least to me.

5 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I've played many of the later entries in the GTA series, but never stuff like III and Vice City. I think I'd probably enjoy them though, considering the fact that I very much enjoy both GTA IV and V.

III And VC are better than the newer ones in my opinion. They are a bit more cartoony and silly if that makes sense.  Yeah they were controversial and let you do anything, but they also had some campyness as you played through a mafia movie or Scarface.  Just look at the cast for VC. Ray Liotta and Tubbs.  What's not to like?

I generally prefer modern stuff to PS2 but this series I will make an exception for.  They lost something as they got more refined to me.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 2

Events Team · Posted
5 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

III And VC are better than the newer ones in my opinion. They are a bit more cartoony and silly if that makes sense.  Yeah they were controversial and let you do anything, but they also had some campyness as you played through a mafia movie or Scarface.  Just look at the cast for VC. Ray Liotta and Tubbs.  What's not to like?

I generally prefer modern stuff to PS2 but this series I will make an exception for.  They lost something as they got more refined to me.

Yeah, you're not alone in that opinion. I dunno, like I said I'm sure I'd probably like them, but I do have a soft spot for the modern ones, just like many people have a soft spot for III and VC. And the newer ones still definitely have a lot of sillyness to them, I think they're just a tad less overt about it.

• Like 1

Sunk a lot of time into this game back in the day and have a lot of good memories going through the missions with my brother and a few friends. It was hard to believe the freedom you had within the game when it first came out. I think SA is when the franchise reached its peak for me with not being overwhelming but being the most fun with the flying/swim mechanics but I still enjoyed GTA 3 quite a bit even with the later releases becoming more refined.  I lost interest in the franchise after SA even though I have played 4 and 5 a bit.

8/10

• Like 1