IGNORED

Look at these prices...unreal right ?

LifeGame

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Anyone know anyone that was bidding on this Video Life? Gixen screwed my buddy out of a bid on it with an eligibility error (much higher than the end price). IMO it went super low considering a loose Air Raid just sold for $10k ($3300 for future Googlers).

Technical issue? I'm overestimating interest in high end boomer shit? No cares about Atari, who would pay $3k for any Atari cartridge Tyler?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Video-Life-/174896860288

No idea what this is, but eligibility error typically occurs when you wouldn't be able to bid on the item directly on ebay either. I can't really think of why that would happen for this item, unless your friend isn't in the US. Maybe he has a new account and the bid was just too high?

16 minutes ago, tidaldreams said:

No idea what this is, but eligibility error typically occurs when you wouldn't be able to bid on the item directly on ebay either. I can't really think of why that would happen for this item, unless your friend isn't in the US. Maybe he has a new account and the bid was just too high?

Nah he's a collector from the olden days. Maybe just something with him. Sucks to not win it. In other news Atari is dead. I should set a saved search for Air Raid and Red Sea Crossing and start waiting for the owners to sell their Earthly possessions and move to retirement homes.

2 hours ago, avatar! said:

Really worth watching and listening too. Discusses WATA and their relationship with Heritage Auctions, NintendoAge and Jeff Meyer... and much more.

I can't recall if you were part of the dogpile or not, but if you want to see the massive discussion this caused, hop over to the Heritage thread in the Sealed/Graded forum.  It's been all abuzz for 2 days because of this.

3 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

@DefaultGen Honestly, someone on AtariAge might, probably the only people left I could think of dedicated enough, old enough, and probably financially and mentally willing enough to pull that trigger.  Atari and anyone caring about it other than for shits and giggles is a rapidly dying breed.

Yeah the person who won it reached out to me. They are happy with the price they paid!

I wish I had the money personally! The market is all over the place and there are niche deals to be had, but every purchase I make now is so targeted at stretching my dollar the furthest long term and Video Life just isn’t getting 3300 of those dollars. 

1 minute ago, DefaultGen said:

Yeah the person who won it reached out to me. They are happy with the price they paid!

I wish I had the money personally! The market is all over the place and there are niche deals to be had, but every purchase I make now is so targeted at stretching my dollar the furthest long term and Video Life just isn’t getting 3300 of those dollars. 

I agree entirely.  I recently traded into effectively for me a nearly free Sega Nomad.  I resolved to maybe buy at best a 1/2 dozen games, then an everdrive.  But I started looking at prices, and oof, Genesis even is pretty messed up now too, especially if it's a boxed up game still.  Someone even on this site I think is asking nearly $400 for all 3 Streets of Rage... really?  I'm not stretching that many dollars, far fewer than Video Life, so I get it...it's just whack.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

A Nes WATA Wall Street Kid 9.6 sold for $4,000. I remember that game could be bought sealed for like $50 bucks for so many years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265186821958?epid=56210694&hash=item3dbe5dc746%3Ag%3AHWgAAOSwtu5gvCfe&nma=true&si=mdOX%2BnMVPOWLIXF1d8vkNA2fV34%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

A raw Nes (later print) Super Mario Bros sold for $15,600. Talk about bad timing for the seller. I wonder if this would have went higher, if "The WATA" video didn't drop yesterday?!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185003818850?hash=item2b13163f62%3Ag%3AK7QAAOSwzeVhHF2r&nma=true&si=mdOX%2BnMVPOWLIXF1d8vkNA2fV34%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

On 8/25/2021 at 12:28 AM, DefaultGen said:

Anyone know anyone that was bidding on this Video Life? Gixen screwed my buddy out of a bid on it with an eligibility error (much higher than the end price). IMO it went super low considering a loose Air Raid just sold for $10k ($3300 for future Googlers).

Technical issue? I'm overestimating interest in high end boomer shit? No cares about Atari, who would pay $3k for any Atari cartridge Tyler?

Well, after all there are very few of those around, and the number of Atari collectors is still pretty sizable, including a few with very deep pockets. I wouldn't say "no one" cares about it, simply because it's the pre-eminent system of its generation and many people really do like that era. Plenty of people between 30-40 have some affection for Atari, and younger folks who like video games tend to know what it is (but not any of its competitors).

Few in the US care about the Master System, but that hasn't stopped James "Buster" Douglas Knockout Boxing from reaching four figures. The rarest Intellivision and Vectrex items hit similar numbers, though Bounty Bob 5200 and Tank Command 7800 don't seem to reap as much as I'd expect, given their extreme rarity.

Anyway I think Air Raid is an outlier because of the hype and its unique appearance. Most second-tier systems (in terms of collectors' interest) seem to congregate between $1-3k for their rarest items.

On 8/24/2021 at 10:28 PM, DefaultGen said:

I had a discussion a few weeks ago about negotiating a price for a $10,000 2600 cartridge.

I was only willing to offer in the 4 figure range and he wouldn't budge.

Edited by Code Monkey

Has anyone else noticed the information on GVN and PC for recent sales deteriorating rapidly? I feel like every time I look up a loose game, it’s missing data or just no recent sales and if I look it up on eBay there are plenty? For those in the know is this because of how eBay changed APIs and how you can access them now or GVN being bought by gocollect and going the way of NA? Combination? 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, a3quit4s said:

Has anyone else noticed the information on GVN and PC for recent sales deteriorating rapidly? I feel like every time I look up a loose game, it’s missing data or just no recent sales and if I look it up on eBay there are plenty? For those in the know is this because of how eBay changed APIs and how you can access them now or GVN being bought by gocollect and going the way of NA? Combination? 

It’s been like that for a while. I’ve completely stopped using both. I typically look at recent eBay sold auctions (not BINs) and couple that with what I “feel” is reasonable. It’s a crapshoot though lol 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

It’s been like that for a while. I’ve completely stopped using both. I typically look at recent eBay sold auctions (not BINs) and couple that with what I “feel” is reasonable. It’s a crapshoot though lol 

I agree, I pretty much just use eBay sold now as well. It sucks for tracking my collection value at GVN, but it’s not like I’m going to sell anything anyways. 

21 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

PC has two major limitations if I understand how it works correctly:

* The listing has to have actually selected the game in eBay's product database or it won't be included. PC searches from the eBay product database, probably because this is the most reliable way; matching on listing titles accurately is very difficult at the kind of scale PC is working at
* Earlier this year, eBay fixed a trick PC and other sites were using to identify the true price paid when a best offer was accepted. I think after that PC stopped including listings where offers were accepted. In my own scripting I did find you could at least - I think - reliably identify cases where offers were accepted on a listing, but it didn't sell for an offer price, and you could then trust the 'sold' price for those listings; it's only when an offer was actually accepted that you cannot find the true price and so can't include the sale. I'm not sure if PC is doing that or just leaving out all listings that had offers enabled.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I haven't found the data too useful for a long time now, except for the roughest of comparisons (e.g. what are the most expensive games). Condition and variants factor into prices way more than it used to and the automated tools miss way too many sales.

Different note, but I care less about price history than before personally. So many things have moved in price so fast as the market goes to the moon and tries to balance the greater importance of popularity against pure rarity, I feel a lot games are out of sync relative to everything else. I do more determining my own values. I would pay double VGPC's $30 price for Air Fortress on NES if that's what the price history told me, so I don't worry about "overpaying" a few bucks since to me it's worth more than some magic graphs say.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

As someone actively trying to finish the set and 120ish games away.... can confirm!!

Oof yeah I heard  Genesis got ragingly stupid trying to catch up to other Sega stuff (and Nintendo) as of late.  I found it shocking someone had the nerve to ask around $400 for all three Streets of Rage CIB, then looked it up and saw this was considered normal... I don't think so.  Glad I invested in an Mega Everdrive Deluxe(X7) as I don't want to deal.  I got VIrtua Racing, I will grab some very few key Konami/Capcom games I adore, also want Dune and Star Control but outside of that, KIT... not feeding the insanity.

This loose SE that "sold" for 30k is back up for sale. I'm surprised the seller didn't wait for his old sale to age out of Ebay history so it would only exist on price tracking websites and make it harder to realize the sale didn't go through.

If anyone is actually spending $10,000s based on price history of "sold" items these days, truly godspeed to you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284446164213

• Haha 1