IGNORED

Look at these prices...unreal right ?

LifeGame

9 hours ago, Naked Warrior said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bomberman-Quest-Nintendo-Game-Boy-Color-GBC-Brand-New-Sealed-/165251135461?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l44720.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

I feel like someone is going to be upset when they get this "mint" copy back from WATA next year and it grades 8.5.  I mean, it is a pretty tough game to find CIB (or NIB, of course), but I've never won an eBay auction (for a video game) where the 3rd bidder was $1,500 less than me and felt good about it...

It's clearly not Mint but I think it could have a shot at 9.0 or 9.2 (if lucky) and there isn't much hidden damage.  It looked way nicer than the Ice Nine he had though.  I think I sniped around $750 and expected it go to about $1500 or so. $2370 is a strong sale price yes but not absurdly out of this world or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

5-6 years ago was thinking of picking up Sonic Jam for Saturn (went for 60-70 dollars).

Today I see it goes for 300-400 dollars. Yikes.

I'm glad to have a modded saturn and a computer with a disc burner still.

I feel everdrives and optical drive emulators are the future of this hobby.

Edited by segashack
  • Agree 1

Moderator · Posted
4 hours ago, segashack said:

5-6 years ago was thinking of picking up Sonic Jam for Saturn (went for 60-70 dollars).

Today I see it goes for 300-400 dollars. Yikes.

I'm glad to have a modded saturn and a computer with a disc burner still.

I feel everdrives and optical drive emulators are the future of this hobby.

You’re talking about 2 separate hobbies. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, doner24 said:

I suppose so. Retro gaming to me I guess was never a money thing. I started in the early 2000s when I was a teenager and the hobby was not expensive by any means with the exception of niche things like the TG16 or some rare Saturn games.

The "collectors" were pretty much all players. I liked it at that time because everyone was genuine because you didn't have to have a high income to have a collection.

I'm glad I've always been a bit of a hoarder of games. No way would I buy my current collection of games I own at today's prices.

I don't know how anyone can get into the hobby of playing older games unless they do emulation or everdrives. 

Not hating on collectors by any means, everyone is different and the market is based on demand.

Just miss the days when the hobby was smaller.

Edited by segashack
  • Agree 4

Moderator · Posted
4 minutes ago, segashack said:

I suppose so. Retro gaming to me I guess was never a money thing. I started in the early 2000s when I was a teenager and the hobby was not expensive by any means with the exception of niche things like the TG16 or some rare Saturn games.

The "collectors" were pretty much all players. I liked it at that time because everyone was genuine because you didn't have to have a high income to have a collection.

I'm glad I've always been a bit of a hoarder of games. No way would I buy my current collection of games I own at today's prices.

I don't know how anyone can get into the hobby of playing older games unless they do emulation or everdrives. 

Not hating on collectors by any means, everyone is different and the market is based on demand.

Just miss the days when the hobby was smaller.

I started buying games seriously in the late 90’s on a small budget. I gamed a decent amount back then too. Then it turned into me wanting all the games to satisfy my OCD and I still gamed a little bit into the early 2010’s. Now I have most everything I want, and my gaming is non-existent so I guess I’ve ran the gamut of collecting/gaming. If I was just a gamer, I would definitely just emulate though. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, doner24 said:

In certain extreme cases, sure, but I mostly disagree with you here.  Most game collectors are folks who enjoy playing them, or at least did so in the past, with having the stuff on the shelf scratching both the "gotta have it" and "want to play it" itches.  Emulation on whatever level helps satisfy one side of that equation (often the stronger of the two, but not always), even when it's no longer possible or reasonable to obtain pieces to add to the collection.  Obviously there are folks who collect factory sealed stuff, who have zero intention of ever releasing those games from their plastic wrapped prisons, but even within that crowd, folks still often have another copy to actually play (if they're not emulating it like so many other folks).

4 hours ago, doner24 said:

I started buying games seriously in the late 90’s on a small budget. I gamed a decent amount back then too. Then it turned into me wanting all the games to satisfy my OCD and I still gamed a little bit into the early 2010’s. Now I have most everything I want, and my gaming is non-existent so I guess I’ve ran the gamut of collecting/gaming. If I was just a gamer, I would definitely just emulate though. 

Personally I'm somewhat in the same boat, but it's not because I somehow got out of gaming, stopped being a gamer, etc., but instead have had more things going on in my life that have required more immediate, and long lasting attention (my kids usually topping that list).  I don't know that I've ever met a gamer, of any age, who has ever stopped playing games entirely beyond a certain point in their life.  One doesn't need to pick up a controller (or keyboard, joystick, etc.) every night, week, month, etc. to still be a member of the club.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

About gamers and emulation.  I'd like to point out that the main reason I started buying games again is because the emulation didn't feel right, or stiff.  But when playing on real hardware, it felt more natural.  

I'm in that boat with you, for the most part, but having some sort of flash drive plugged into a classic console is still a form of emulation, one which I've never found to feel like anything but playing the real deal cart/card/disc/etc.  For straight up software emulation, though, doing so on a PC is usually pretty seamless.  I've only really had major hiccups with mature emulation when it's something that has been ported from PC to another platform--like some of the more popular emulators in the RetroPie package for raspberry pi boards, some stuff on the Retron 5, etc.

• Like 1

Not to further the derailment, but I too treat both collecting and playing as two separate hobbies.

Mostly because I can always rent a game (in Japan), download a ROM, among other reasons that do not have me collect them in either physical or digital format. But I also prefer supporting those who do both, but only if the reasons are healthy.

Edited by FenrirZero

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/224790126737?hash=item3456892091:g:NfMAAOSwj4Fh4Wp2

Is this an actually realistic price for this game 0_o i've been out of the loop for a while but i guess prices have been going crazy the past couple years..

With  Final Fantasy VI GBA pal apparently being an limited release in europe(or at least i remember reading that years ago) that might explain some of it but still.

Back in the day i bought a USA copy of this game to play when i was over there and when i came back home i ran across a sealed copy cheap so i bought it figuring i'd sell the US copy someday and use the Pal copy to play when i felt like revisiting it but never got around to selling the USA one or opening the sealed one. Since it's 1 of the few sealed games i have i figured i'd check if it was worth anything and this is the only 1 i could find for sale and no really recent sales on price charting. If it's actually worth this much now i'm very happy i never opened it 😅

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was considering bidding on this up to about 20 minutes until it's end.  This Game Gear lot was under $210 and I was thinking of bidding $250 but decided not to because after selling what I don't want, I wouldn't have broken a margin I wanted for the few items I wanted.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185285841039

Wurt?!  This ended for $611?! I tried to spot some of these, and I don't see any real heavy hitters.  There are some $25-40 titles, but not enough to justify a price THAT high.  I think you could have ordered all of these individually and came out cheaper.

Am I missing something with this lot?  Possibly, but I don't see it.

16 hours ago, RH said:

I was considering bidding on this up to about 20 minutes until it's end.  This Game Gear lot was under $210 and I was thinking of bidding $250 but decided not to because after selling what I don't want, I wouldn't have broken a margin I wanted for the few items I wanted.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185285841039

Wurt?!  This ended for $611?! I tried to spot some of these, and I don't see any real heavy hitters.  There are some $25-40 titles, but not enough to justify a price THAT high.  I think you could have ordered all of these individually and came out cheaper.

Am I missing something with this lot?  Possibly, but I don't see it.

Winning bidder has 9 feedback...I would bet all my chips on non-payment and this gets re-listed next week...

Although I will say handheld stuff has been a bit insane lately...case(s) in point (I don't believe the buyers will pay for these either to be honest):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134005533095?hash=item1f335a29a7:g:ksIAAOSwfeFh2Ol4
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134005462768?hash=item1f335916f0:g:pqgAAOSwuXxh2QPz
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134005032949?hash=item1f335287f5:g:LW8AAOSwUaJh2QSM

3 minutes ago, Naked Warrior said:

Winning bidder has 9 feedback...I would bet all my chips on non-payment and this gets re-listed next week...

Although I will say handheld stuff has been a bit insane lately...case(s) in point (I don't believe the buyers will pay for these either to be honest):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134005533095?hash=item1f335a29a7:g:ksIAAOSwfeFh2Ol4
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134005462768?hash=item1f335916f0:g:pqgAAOSwuXxh2QPz
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134005032949?hash=item1f335287f5:g:LW8AAOSwUaJh2QSM

Interesting enough, that Amazing Tater might have been mine.  I did a quick-sale of that one a few years ago to get some cash for my wife's birthday.  Considering what I got for it (again, even at a flash sale price on Nintendo Age) it wouldn't surprise me if that buyer actually pays up.

Just now, RH said:

Interesting enough, that Amazing Tater might have been mine.  I did a quick-sale of that one a few years ago to get some cash for my wife's birthday.  Considering what I got for it (again, even at a flash sale price on Nintendo Age) it wouldn't surprise me if that buyer actually pays up.

Sorry. I wasn't paying attention.  I did NOT own that Amazing Tater.  I wasn't paying attention to how eBay posts the old sale above one they are trying to get your attention for, so I was looking at a proto.

Yeah... I don't see anyone buying that Tater at that price.  If they do.. seriously?!

That's what I thought...I was thinking about overpaying for it (in the $3,500-$4,000 range) because I just wanted to be done with it...I thought it was supposed to be less rare than Spud's Adventure (which I got for $2,600 probably like 6 months ago...).  But yeah, over $10,000 would make it one of the most expensive CIBs I've ever seen...

• Wow! 1
  • Love 1

I really wonder if some sellers think they're being clever? or marketing correctly? or...?

In my mind, this seller is pure douchebag! How much are these games worth? $50, $75 - something like that. I personally avoid any and all business with people that inflate their prices to truly bat-shite crazy levels.

Screenshot-from-2022-02-17-17-45-45.png

Screenshot-from-2022-02-17-17-51-13.png

Edited by avatar!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, avatar! said:

I really wonder if some sellers think they're being clever? or marketing correctly? or...?

In my mind, this seller is pure douchebag! How much are these games worth? $50, $75 - something like that. I personally avoid any and all business with people that inflate their prices to truly bat-shite crazy levels.

Screenshot-from-2022-02-17-17-45-45.png

Screenshot-from-2022-02-17-17-51-13.png

It served its purpose, to drive attention.  You even cross posted to another site. 

Pretty low level and low effect perfectly legal trolling.  

• Agree 1

Moderator · Posted
On 2/11/2022 at 7:49 AM, RH said:

Sorry. I wasn't paying attention.  I did NOT own that Amazing Tater.  I wasn't paying attention to how eBay posts the old sale above one they are trying to get your attention for, so I was looking at a proto.

Yeah... I don't see anyone buying that Tater at that price.  If they do.. seriously?!

It got paid for. 

Yeah Tater did strong, especially without poster, but it always should have been $5k plus.  I only won one game from that seller, she benefited from the typical ebay phenomenon of like items at open auction always selling higher than they expected.

I will say that I grabbed a CIB Tater with poster not too long ago, maybe 4 months that went up on eBay at either $2499 or $2999 BIN and no one wanted it in the first 12 hours.  I knew the seller as a former NA member and he was cool with a direct payment so it worked out for both of us thankfully.

• 2 weeks later...

A raw Nes first print black seal Zanac selling for $7,460. I never knew this game was that sought after, but I guess most first print Pre-1987 Nes games are today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/403481586841?epid=56253689&hash=item5df1606c99%3Ag%3A21kAAOSwcBliDsWu&nma=true&si=mdOX%2BnMVPOWLIXF1d8vkNA2fV34%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557