IGNORED

Look at these prices...unreal right ?

LifeGame

21 minutes ago, A_Feisty_Pickle said:

I've got a Kingdom Hearts and  Final Fantasy X I'll get back from Wata eventually. Maybe the wrong place to discuss, but as far as RPGs go I'd imagine those two are pretty high up there as far as 'iconic' titles for the console. Maybe I am just biased though. 

Seems to be the general thought. Although apparently the Greatest Hits and X-2 not so much

Screenshot-from-2021-06-09-18-28-55.png

Screenshot-from-2021-06-09-18-29-24.png

2 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Humans are a weird species.

Not really. Here you have an example of gorgeous piece of art - the Double Eagle was designed by one of America's great artists, Saint-Gaudens (his museum in NH is awesome for the record)! The coin is also of great historical value
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_double_eagle
AND, it's a one-of-a-kind, well not exactly, but the only one that by law can be sold - again, you can read the wiki article on it! All those factors together have made it legendary.

To put it in video game perspective, imagine Nintendo released some special Super Mario Bros. game, then decided to destroy them all, and then it turns out just a few survived being destroyed, then Nintendo decided to keep all those that survived, then it turned out that one and only one, could be sold in the entire world. There you have it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, avatar! said:

Not really. Here you have an example of gorgeous piece of art - the Double Eagle was designed by one of America's great artists, Saint-Gaudens (his museum in NH is awesome for the record)! The coin is also of great historical value
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1933_double_eagle
AND, it's a one-of-a-kind, well not exactly, but the only one that by law can be sold - again, you can read the wiki article on it! All those factors together have made it legendary.

To put it in video game perspective, imagine Nintendo released some special Super Mario Bros. game, then decided to destroy them all, and then it turns out just a few survived being destroyed, then Nintendo decided to keep all those that survived, then it turned out that one and only one, could be sold in the entire world. There you have it.

Nope.  All those things you said are fuckin weird.  What we do here is weird. I like it, but it’s weird.  Most of what societies do is weird though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Nope.  All those things you said are fuckin weird.  What we do here is weird. I like it, but it’s weird.  Most of what societies do is weird though.

Nope. The coin is unique. Being unique automatically provides it with attention and value. It's not just a "human thing" being unique can actually have a lot of advantages in nature. While a coin or any collectible is not part of nature, humans recognize the significance of such uniqueness by putting a high monetary value on it. That is natural.

Edit: Also, coins have been collectible for thousands of years. They are literally monetarily valuable, so adding that to this one-of-a-kind makes it perfectly understandable as to why it sold for such a value. Of course this is beyond the means of almost every living person on Earth, BUT, nevertheless the crazy amount of money is understandable.

Edited by avatar!
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Events Team · Posted
18 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Nope. The coin is unique. Being unique automatically provides it with attention and value. It's not just a "human thing" being unique can actually have a lot of advantages in nature. While a coin or any collectible is not part of nature, humans recognize the significance of such uniqueness by putting a high monetary value on it. That is natural.

Edit: Also, coins have been collectible for thousands of years. They are literally monetarily valuable, so adding that to this one-of-a-kind makes it perfectly understandable as to why it sold for such a value. Of course this is beyond the means of almost every living person on Earth, BUT, nevertheless the crazy amount of money is understandable.

Weirdo! 🙄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Whoever could have taken that 20million and literally transformed an entire community but instead you bought a rock scribbled on by some dude.  Nope. Totally not weird.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Whoever could have taken that 20million and literally transformed an entire community but instead you bought a rock scribbled on by some dude.  Nope. Totally not weird.

No, it really isn't weird. Also, you're changing the subject which in logic is called (the red herring fallacy) but anyway, the person who purchased this is obviously incredibly wealthy and likely keeping it as an investment. And before we get all high-and-mighty and more-holy-than-thou I will point out that the person who sold this, did just that, he used the coin as an investment. And do you know what he plans to do with all this money he got? It is all going into his philanthropic work which includes medical research as well as a museum. Yup. 

edit: Also curious, what's the most expensive video game you purchased? How much money have you spent on video games? Collecting something at this level is not any different than what many on here do in principle, just the uniqueness and amount of money exchanged. BUT, if you were a billionaire...

Edited by avatar!

2 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

How is providing an example of how it’s weird changing the subject?

It’s still conceptually weird.  And it’s also weird that you feel so strongly that it’s not weird.  It’s like nature or something.

What you said "Whoever could have taken that 20million and literally transformed an entire community" has nothing to do with the intrinsic or perceived value of the object and is changing the subject ie what someone could or "should" do with so much money is a completely different subject.

3 minutes ago, avatar! said:

What you said "Whoever could have taken that 20million and literally transformed an entire community" has nothing to do with the intrinsic or perceived value of the object and is changing the subject ie what someone could or "should" do with so much money is a completely different subject.

Ok Aristotle.  It’s not weird.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Hammerfestus said:

Nah, I have to call out this fallacy. The person who received the 20 million can go transform a community or whatever. The money wasn’t destroyed. It just changed hands. The buyer now holds an asset that is presumably worth that much. The seller now has 20 million dollars. No one goes hungry because of this.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Doesn’t the coin dude on tv at like 4am sell these on occasion or am I thinking of something different?

I'm sure there are programs that sell "old" coins for $19.95 or whatnot, and to the untrained eye they probably look the same. But as @AdamW pointed out, you aint' gonna find this nor any really valuable coins at 4am! Besides, at 4am you should be playing video games...

16 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

I mean whoever bought it has another 20 million dollars at least. They still could do things beneficial to humanity. I'd personally want the shiny rock if I was mega rich too. #materialism

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I mean whoever bought it has another 20 million dollars at least. They still could do things beneficial to humanity. I'd personally want the shiny rock if I was mega rich too. #materialism

Edited by avatar!

I was torn between putting this in the "seller silliness" thread or this one, but I realized the seller is a genius...he spends $.25 on a jewel case, $.10 on a blank disc, and $.15 in printer ink/paper and people just throw their money at it.  It's one thing to shell out $5 for a repro/bootleg because you don't feel like doing it yourself, but $25?  You could buy an authentic disc for that much and actually have something that might hold value...plus don't these Dreamcast repros only work on early model Dreamcasts?  This listing makes me throw up in my mouth a little...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324677871531

• Haha 1