IGNORED

The Switch Thread

1 hour ago, RH said:

Not super expensive, but a CIB copy is more expensive that original MSRP.

For some reason, I always knew that one would start to get expensive than MSRP one day as back even still for print, it was already limited on eBay. I got two copies from Toys 'R Us clearance and just put them on the shelf thinking of selling one of them, but never did. So, now have two sealed copies. Guess can use one for trade for something I'm missing now.

Btw, for a game to get now, I'd get Dreamworks Spirit. Have a feeling that one is gonna be hard to find later too.

Edited by Skorp

6 hours ago, Shmup said:

Exactly. I'm not going for a full set but if I was the games from LRG etc would be the only games I'd be buying on release. I've picked up so many great titles at eb sales that are like quarter of the cost.

Yep. So far I've gotten every single release from LRG for the Switch. I only missed out on two which was Transistor Collectors and somehow I missed on ordering the Star Wars Jedi double pack, even though I did get all the other Jedis. Had to pay more than double for those on eBay. Drives me nuts that LRG has to do so many releases though they really are milking us dry.

• Agree 3

On 10/2/2021 at 4:02 AM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I don’t get the way of thinking “theres too many games coming out, im pulling out of a fullset”

Since when does going for all of it mean you have to get them on release? It normally just means thats your end goal. If people are trying to go for a fullset AND buy everything at release they’re either doing it wrong, or financially well off. I never jump off that wagon, my list of needed games naturally gets bigger because they’re still supporting the Switch but at some point that will end and I’ll continue chiseling away at it. Thats how it normally works 

Yeah you kinda hit the nail on the head, that's how it normally works. The Switch collecting crowd is made up of a larger number of people newer to collecting as far as I've observed, and it's one of those hot-and-cold things where a lot of questionable decision-making happens in the earlygoing. Like wild excitement and fervor at the start and then "whew ok this is a lot to keep up with😓", and thennn bail altogether and sell everything once they can't keep up and let go of the FOMO. Many hares in the game, few tortoise'. 

Another added variable in Switch full-set collecting that separates it from how we would normally collect full sets is the massive abundance of limited and collector's edition games. You'd think that little barrier of entry alone would be enough to hinder most from the pursuit. Like, sure you can collect all 2,000+ physical games, buuuut do you have a copy of Crayola Horsie Adventures with the little stylus pen that only 200 copies were made of, and only sold at select Chapters locations in western Canada during the summer of 2019? Or all seven versions of Streets of Rage 4? It's gonna wind up being the hardest console of all time to collect a full set for (and probably one of the least worthwhile to, given how the shovelware releases are really starting to hit a stride) by the time the life cycle of the system is over. A full set in 2024-25 or whatever would look insane.

• Agree 1

On 10/3/2021 at 1:00 AM, Skorp said:

Drives me nuts that LRG has to do so many releases though they really are milking us dry.

I definitely can't understand this mindset.  I hope that they make as many digital only games into physical as possible.  In a perfect world all digital only games would be given a physical option.

31 minutes ago, Quaze said:

Yeah you kinda hit the nail on the head, that's how it normally works. The Switch collecting crowd is made up of a larger number of people newer to collecting as far as I've observed, and it's one of those hot-and-cold things where a lot of questionable decision-making happens in the earlygoing. Like wild excitement and fervor at the start and then "whew ok this is a lot to keep up with😓", and thennn bail altogether and sell everything once they can't keep up and let go of the FOMO. Many hares in the game, few tortoise'. 

Another added variable in Switch full-set collecting that separates it from how we would normally collect full sets is the massive abundance of limited and collector's edition games. You'd think that little barrier of entry alone would be enough to hinder most from the pursuit. Like, sure you can collect all 2,000+ physical games, buuuut do you have a copy of Crayola Horsie Adventures with the little stylus pen that only 200 copies were made of, and only sold at select Chapters locations in western Canada during the summer of 2019? Or all seven versions of Streets of Rage 4? It's gonna wind up being the hardest console of all time to collect a full set for (and probably one of the least worthwhile to, given how the shovelware releases are really starting to hit a stride) by the time the life cycle of the system is over. A full set in 2024-25 or whatever would look insane.

To me, going for every variant of every game for the Switch is just to much.  I do think going for every game is achievable though.  

Not initially on release.  I don’t understand pursuing it that way.  Most games still go down, initially, in value.  Then again, if that’s how people want to spend their money more power to them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I definitely can't understand this mindset.  I hope that they make as many digital only games into physical as possible.  In a perfect world all digital only games would be given a physical option.

It's just hard to keep up sometimes with there being a release almost weekly. 😄

On 10/3/2021 at 2:00 AM, Skorp said:

Yep. So far I've gotten every single release from LRG for the Switch. I only missed out on two which was Transistor Collectors and somehow I missed on ordering the Star Wars Jedi double pack, even though I did get all the other Jedis. Had to pay more than double for those on eBay. Drives me nuts that LRG has to do so many releases though they really are milking us dry.

But arent they milking you dry, because you keep buying it?  If you stop buying, they'll stop making.  Or slow down.  Look at the numbers.  If they keep selling, why would they stop?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Quaze said:

Kinda depends on how you define fullset. Ive always seen it as one per title. All the collectors editions and re-prints are just variants 

• Like 2

Just now, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Kinda depends on how you define fullset. Ive always seen it as one per title. All the collectors editions and re-prints are just variants 

I view it this way as well.  6 different cover variants of Asteroids vs Meteors?  Pick the one you want and check the game off the list.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Yeah there'll be more debate than ever on the definition of "full set", with literally hundreds of licensed "side-releases". Collector's editions and variants notwithstanding, even just a regular ol' standard Switch fullset would be a staggering achievement, and I'll be mindblown if anyone ever completes a set when the dust settles. We thought the Wii and DS had a giant library, the Switch library is gonna make 'em look small.

4 hours ago, Estil said:

Just how many US Switch cartridges are we up to now?

4 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:

907 regular releases 27 re-release (Think power rangers, overcooked, streets of rage 4, etc) for a total of 934 (This doesn't include any unreleased pre-order from LRG or any other retailer)

The Way I do the Spreadsheet I include games that were available for purchase already (LRG, Special Reserve, etc) even if not yet delivered. I'm actually just updating the spreadsheet now since I haven't touched it in a coupe weeks and I think it will be close to 950 

Edit: Just finished updating its at 938

Edited by LeatherRebel5150

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

The Way I do the Spreadsheet I include games that were available for purchase already (LRG, Special Reserve, etc) even if not yet delivered. I'm actually just updating the spreadsheet now since I haven't touched it in a coupe weeks and I think it will be close to 950 

Edit: Just finished updating its at 938

Yeah.... we've disagreed on this before. I don't see how you can count an unreleased game that was sold as a pre-order and where is the cutoff? Why are you only counting LRG, SPR, iam8bit........or limited retailers.  Why not best buy, target or even Kickstarters for that matter because some are backed by the same limited companies. You can't include some and not all. 

If I were to add your logic and simply add LRG, SPR, Iam8Bit, VGS, NIS, Premium and Dispatch for good measure that would be 52 more and would be far more than you are showing. 986 would be the count. Thus why only counting what's in hand is probably the best way BUT as in anything collecting we can make our own decisions. 

10 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

Yeah.... we've disagreed on this before. I don't see how you can count an unreleased game that was sold as a pre-order and where is the cutoff? Why are you only counting LRG, SPR, iam8bit........or limited retailers.  Why not best buy, target or even Kickstarters for that matter because some are backed by the same limited companies. You can't include some and not all. 

If I were to add your logic and simply add LRG, SPR, Iam8Bit, VGS, NIS, Premium and Dispatch for good measure that would be 52 more and would be far more than you are showing. 986 would be the count. Thus why only counting what's in hand is probably the best way BUT as in anything collecting we can make our own decisions. 

I started counting them like that because generally, that was the only way to obtain them. The preorder was the purchase period at retail once those few weeks were up that’s it and it would show up to you whenever. I actually don’t count Dispatch because they have proven to be untrustworthy and could very well disappear with your money one day.  Where as the rest of the stores you mention you COULD preorder or just wait for them to show up in stores like normal and buy them when you could have them in hand. The two preorder systems are completely different. 

That being said, with how many end up in general retail anymore it kinda messes up that idea. But at this point its just habbit

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I started counting them like that because generally, that was the only way to obtain them. The preorder was the purchase period at retail once those few weeks were up that’s it and it would show up to you whenever. I actually don’t count Dispatch because they have proven to be untrustworthy and could very well disappear with your money one day.  Where as the rest of the stores you mention you COULD preorder or just wait for them to show up in stores like normal and buy them when you could have them in hand. The two preorder systems are completely different. 

That being said, with how many end up in general retail anymore it kinda messes up that idea. But at this point its just habbit

There are at least 5-6 online stores you can buy LRG games after they release although your going to pay $10-20 more than they sold it for. 

here’s 2 for fun…. One is US and one in Canada 

https://www.heroicgoodsandgames.com

https://acgamesonline.com

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

KH 1-3 coming in cloud format. Why couldn’t they at least do the first two physically or digital download? Yuck.

Yeah anything in cloud format gets a big skip from me. If it's too big for the system, don't put it out I say.

• Agree 2

While I completely agree that I don't want anything to do with streaming video games, I still believe that's the direction it's headed.  It has to considering that the size of the average AAA title (including patches and DLC) is increasing at a much faster pace than the typical storage space used in modern consoles.  And considering that the younger generation doesn't care about physical gaming, they should have no issue accepting streaming gaming services.  

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

While I completely agree that I don't want anything to do with streaming video games, I still believe that's the direction it's headed.  It has to considering that the size of the average AAA title (including patches and DLC) is increasing at a much faster pace than the typical storage space used in modern consoles.  And considering that the younger generation doesn't care about physical gaming, they should have no issue accepting streaming gaming services.  

Agreed. I was actually talking about this with my manager today and told him that’s where gaming will head next.

MS will make it a big thing because they actually have the infrastructure with Azure.

Younger generations will be onboard because they are already conditioned with stuff like Netflix. The only real barrier is faster Internet for a lot of people.

I can’t see myself ever interested in it because I love physical but I think the industry will move there and possibly quicker than we think. 

I think streaming is fine as an alternative option. For many games it can actually provide a better experience than would otherwise be obtainable (like these games on Switch which otherwise wouldn't exist at all). Physical media will continue to become more of a niche thing and that's fine for those who still want it. I just hope we always have an option to download, even if the size is excessive. That's really how Microsoft cracked the subscription model with Game Pass. By allowing players to download, internet speed becomes less important and the actual gameplay experience more stable.

• Like 1