IGNORED

The Switch Thread

On 9/23/2021 at 6:36 PM, croagunk said:

Excited about the N64 and Genesis games. Hope the add on membership won’t be too expensive.

I wish they would do Virtual Boy so much. They really missed out on a great opportunity with the 3DS. I know the Switch isn’t capable of 3D, but I’d settle for 2D.

The Switch has literal VR modes for multiple games. It'd give people one more reason to use their Labo headsets.

Edited by Aguy
  • Wow! 1

I never watch the full direct, I should...got some highlights.  I pretty much lost interest in largely whatever else when the words Actraiser and Renaissance showed up.  The fact they cared to bring that one back even as a budget title with some distinct changes to that game (some are aggravating to me, but mostly great) got me right away.  Bought that up fast on Steam since it'll last a lot longer over time than the Switch will.  I've been playing it using my nice computer game pad and arctis 1 headset...stunning, really.  The only part that for me shits the bed are the really insipid poorly managed sorta-like tower defense junk they applied to the towns...it's not fun.  The rest having more control, smarter enemies, new boss patterns(smarter a little too), re-scored audio, added battles in the monster pits to seal them, more resources in the towns, perks to boost yourself in action mode, etc.  It's shockingly great for the price, added more than enough and changed the game largely in so many ways the price is justified entirely.  It took me hours to develop out Fillmore too, so this isn't some 4-5hrs game the SNES one is as it's no longer streamlined as such.

Outside of that I don't know, but Kirby really blew me away...a full on non-2D for once adventure with all his talents.  That could get really really interesting.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Dying Light physical is up

There's also double packs for the Jedi Knight games, and Republic Commando + Pod Racer.  $30 each.

Obviously that makes the LRG releases look pretty shitty in comparison.  I always prefer more options, so I don't see it as a bad thing.  Just means I look for a possible opportunity to unload the LRG games, and buy these, if I can come out ahead.

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

There's also double packs for the Jedi Knight games, and Republic Commando + Pod Racer.  $30 each.

Obviously that makes the LRG releases look pretty shitty in comparison.  I always prefer more options, so I don't see it as a bad thing.  Just means I look for a possible opportunity to unload the LRG games, and buy these, if I can come out ahead.

Found them on Amazon US  $30/ea set ($15/game)... so basically 4 games for the the price of a full new retail release that's a win.

Jedi Knight 1+2: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Knight-Collection-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B09GQSSWW1/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Star+Wars+Jedi+Knight+Collection+-+Nintendo+Switch&qid=1632969020&sr=8-1

...and Pod Racer/Republic Commando: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Racer-Commando-Combo-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B09GQJRGB1/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Star+Wars+racer+-+Nintendo+Switch&qid=1632969048&sr=8-5

Sweet!  That's a hell of a deal, I may actually go on that.  Not that LRG was outrageously priced, they weren't, but I had no compelling reason when the stuff already is online at GoG/Steam already...sure GoG technically isn't physical but can be, and there's no what 6-12mo wait time for when they feel like getting their act together either.

Edited by Tanooki

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Found them on Amazon US  $30/ea set ($15/game)... so basically 4 games for the the price of a full new retail release that's a win.

Jedi Knight 1+2: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Knight-Collection-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B09GQSSWW1/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Star+Wars+Jedi+Knight+Collection+-+Nintendo+Switch&qid=1632969020&sr=8-1

...and Pod Racer/Republic Commando: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Racer-Commando-Combo-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B09GQJRGB1/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Star+Wars+racer+-+Nintendo+Switch&qid=1632969048&sr=8-5

Sweet!  That's a hell of a deal, I may actually go on that.  Not that LRG was outrageously priced, they weren't, but I had no compelling reason when the stuff already is online at GoG/Steam already...sure GoG technically isn't physical but can be, and there's no what 6-12mo wait time for when they feel like getting their act together either.

Is this Star Wars the same games that were offered by Limited Run?

21 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I totally understand on the LRG front. I bought all these games from them. I am hoping that as we see more and more of these games republished, the publishers will realize that there is still a demand for physical editions of some of these games from the bigger publishers that they will skip the LRG FOMO process.

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Is this Star Wars the same games that were offered by Limited Run?

Yeah and for far more money considering they're were sold individually, and you get to wait probably 6+ months to get them too which is SO convenient isn't it?  They're going to run out of excuses if people keep shoveling out their releases far faster in mass sales stores like amazon, etc.

I'm pretty put off by LRG at this rate due to their crap taking so long I could walk into best buy and get their local pressing about the same time, and then other publishers picking the games up and getting them usually for sale before LRG gets off their laziness to do it.  It makes me wonder if they're hoping they can keep reeling in people, or they'll revise their too far out shipping strategy.  They're not the only, those real slugs at Strictly Limited are still trying to sell their switch copies of Cotton Reloaded and asking $40 for it, yet ININ picked it up (with others they've done too) and put them up for sale on Amazon at a lower price (so I canceled with SLG.)

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Quaze said:

Nice to see the Switch thread going strong still - I feel like it's been about 75% of my collection since it came out, I just don't think anybody foresaw this volume of releases coming out for it.

2017 - "I'm getting a full set"

2018 - "This may have been a mistake"

2021 - RIP

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

22 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

2017 - "I'm getting a full set"

2018 - "This may have been a mistake"

2021 - RIP

Oh dude, 100%. I started slow on the Switch for that very reason. I saw so many commit to a full set early and I thought, "🎵you're gonna regret that🎵". Most bailed off the bandwagon within 6 months and only a few have really stuck it out and committed to a full set, but holy shit do I ever feel sorry for those dudes every time I see a new batch of weekly releases, and it's 2 decent games along with $700 worth of games ranging from mediocre to shovelware. 

The Switch is the kind of system where even if you set your collecting standards to games that are "pretty good or better", you're still gonna have a zillion games.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Quaze said:

Nice to see the Switch thread going strong still - I feel like it's been about 75% of my collection since it came out, I just don't think anybody foresaw this volume of releases coming out for it.

I wish we could get some old PC games like the Dark Forces games since we got all these SW ports.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Quaze said:

Oh dude, 100%. I started slow on the Switch for that very reason. I saw so many commit to a full set early and I thought, "🎵you're gonna regret that🎵". Most bailed off the bandwagon within 6 months and only a few have really stuck it out and committed to a full set, but holy shit do I ever feel sorry for those dudes every time I see a new batch of weekly releases, and it's 2 decent games along with $700 worth of games ranging from mediocre to shovelware. 

The Switch is the kind of system where even if you set your collecting standards to games that are "pretty good or better", you're still gonna have a zillion games.

I don’t get the way of thinking “theres too many games coming out, im pulling out of a fullset”

Since when does going for all of it mean you have to get them on release? It normally just means thats your end goal. If people are trying to go for a fullset AND buy everything at release they’re either doing it wrong, or financially well off. I never jump off that wagon, my list of needed games naturally gets bigger because they’re still supporting the Switch but at some point that will end and I’ll continue chiseling away at it. Thats how it normally works 

• Like 1

Someone earlier in the thread made the excellent point that you should only buy games that seem truly limited on release. For everything else, wait until you see a great sale or it hits the one year mark, whichever comes first. You won't correctly predict every game that will be rare, but the money you'll save buying most games a year after launch will easily cover the difference and then some.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Someone earlier in the thread made the excellent point that you should only buy games that seem truly limited on release. For everything else, wait until you see a great sale or it hits the one year mark, whichever comes first. You won't correctly predict every game that will be rare, but the money you'll save buying most games a year after launch will easily cover the difference and then some.

Exactly. I'm not going for a full set but if I was the games from LRG etc would be the only games I'd be buying on release. I've picked up so many great titles at eb sales that are like quarter of the cost.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 8:57 PM, ICrappedMyPants said:

I wish we could get some old PC games like the Dark Forces games since we got all these SW ports.

Well, we're missing SotE which is a game I really, really want to play again.

My N64 has been on the fritz this last year and that's the only thing that's prevented me from paying it.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, RH said:

Well, we're missing SotE which is a game I really, really want to play again.

My N65 has been on the fritz this last year and that's the only thing that's prevented me.

Maybe to hold you over, but there is a PC version that has been fixed up to work on modern computers sold over at GoG.com along with Rogue Squadron too and Pod Racer.  Infernal Machine as well, but that Indy game is rough on PC due to the crappier control/camera which are just not good.  The others are upgrades.