IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

18 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Doesn't hurt as bad as when Burger King removed the Chicken Fries (THANK GOODNESS they've brought them back), but I officially have no reason to go to Taco Bell anymore without the beefy nacho loaded griller. It's the only decent thing on the menu there since it always came out hot.

Now when will I see a McRib again.

I understand. Taco bell, or really any fast food place isn't all that cheap. I wish there was a nice Mexican street food truck around here. I would take that any day over for quick service Mexican. 

18 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

I understand. Taco bell, or really any fast food place isn't all that cheap. I wish there was a nice Mexican street food truck around here. I would take that any day over for quick service Mexican. 

IIRC, didn't the 'Bell several years back try to open up shop in Mexico, but totally bombed because Mexicans generally consider Taco Bell to be a big joke compared to real Mexican food.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Doesn't hurt as bad as when Burger King removed the Chicken Fries (THANK GOODNESS they've brought them back), but I officially have no reason to go to Taco Bell anymore without the beefy nacho loaded griller. It's the only decent thing on the menu there since it always came out hot.

Don't they typically do the McRib every year?  Then again I thought they did Monopoly every year but I haven't seen it around lately either.  What disappointed me most at McD's was when they took away their chicken biscuit 😞 

5 minutes ago, Estil said:

IIRC, didn't the 'Bell several years back try to open up shop in Mexico, but totally bombed because Mexicans generally consider Taco Bell to be a big joke compared to real Mexican food.

Well to be fair, taco bell is pretty obviously americanized mexican food. Kinda like your average Chinese takeout is no where near authentic Chinese. While I don't know the history of taco bell in Mexico, I wouldn't be surprised to hear of it failing. You have to know what your customers want before you can sell food to them. For example, look at all the exotic McDonald's items they serve in foreign countries. It's not a standardized global menu.

• Like 2

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

They only had chicken fries for a limited time in the North East (at least by me). It was a wonderful time. 

1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

Well, McRib was originally developed as a way to deal with a chicken shortage, wasn't it?  (where they instead developed a pork product as a non-beef option)

And over the past year, pork markets have been crazy.  (wild swings up and down, at least from what I've seen at the grocery store)

I'd be willing to bet that they don't have sufficient price stability to offer it at the moment.

4 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Saw this one today, while looking out the window at the world that is the fish pond at my workplace.

Dead turtle floating around in a pond full of large and small fish, smaller fish eager and already starting to pick at his head, tasty dinner I guess?

Thing is, there's only about two turtles in the pond, and a large number of fish. Think one of the fish somehow farted in the water or something to kill the turtle? I mean, it's common for fish to eat other fish, but to see this guy floating about randomly? Definitely see majority / minority racism here. Fish on turtles. #turtlelivesmatter

IMG20200722110525.jpg

You think fish farts kill turtles?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Silent Hill said:

What makes you think that if that exact situation happened with a black teenage female, that it wouldn't have resulted in the same outcome? That's the problem. Absolutely no proof or pattern that suggests she was taken into custody without being killed just because she is white. Talk about a racist mindset...

I bitched about people using examples like this to prove "white privilege" when I can easily provide extremely similar examples of the same outcome, but with a black suspect. By that logic, wouldn't it prove "black privilege"? My point was that it's not as simple as claiming "white privilege" when plenty of black suspects are treated the same in similar situations. Just like plenty of white people have been unjustly killed by police. Their "white privilege" tank must've run dry at that point I guess?

Are you familiar with the concept of dispropotionate effects? It’s been mentioned several times ITT. What do you dispute about it? You think it’s just not true? 

57 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Well to be fair, taco bell is pretty obviously americanized mexican food. Kinda like your average Chinese takeout is no where near authentic Chinese. 

Yet it doesn't seem to bother the Chinese people who run these takeouts to sell "fake" Chinese food? 😞   On that note, DYK that so-called "Chinese" Checkers is actually an American creation inspired by a German game?  There's nothing "Chinese" about it at all! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_checkers

Now there IS an honest to goodness Chinese chess.  As well as Japanese chess and Korean chess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiangqi (Chinese chess)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shogi (Japanese chess)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janggi (Korean chess)

Edited by Estil

49 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Well, McRib was originally developed as a way to deal with a chicken shortage, wasn't it?  (where they instead developed a pork product as a non-beef option)

And over the past year, pork markets have been crazy.  (wild swings up and down, at least from what I've seen at the grocery store)

I'd be willing to bet that they don't have sufficient price stability to offer it at the moment.

I'll gladly pay the burgers and sandwiches they sell are what...$5-$6 on average? $7 maybe even $8 for a McRib right now :V

3 minutes ago, Estil said:

Yet it doesn't seem to bother the Chinese people who run these takeouts to sell "fake" Chinese food? 😞  

Why would it? They make money selling food to people who enjoy it. There's a time and place for authentic Chinese cuisines, but I can't imagine bringing it home and having my kids eat it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Estil said:

Now there IS an honest to goodness Chinese chess.  As well as Japanese chess and Korean chess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiangqi (Chinese chess)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shogi (Japanese chess)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janggi (Korean chess)

I have a Xiangqi set, as well as a Shogi set. Though Shogi isn't as popular in Japan as Go.

I have been looking for the Famicom ROM of Xiangqi.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

America might suck, but my house is still worth enough to sell it and buy a whole city (maybe a couple?) in a 3rd world country like Taiwan 😂😂😂😂And I Can have guns too!!

Your house is worth enough to sell it and buy a fucking mansion around me!

21 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I have a Xiangqi set, as well as a Shogi set. Though Shogi isn't as popular in Japan as Go.

I have been looking for the Famicom ROM of Xiangqi.

Sachen (well JoyVan) did a nice Xianqi game. Actually, Micro Genius did one as well, and had planned a sequel with Three Kingdoms characters, which seems to have gone unreleased.

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

America might suck, but my house is still worth enough to sell it and buy a whole city (maybe a couple?) in a 3rd world country like Taiwan 😂😂😂😂And I Can have guns too!!

Hey bud, I think you're making the rookie mistake of getting us mixed up with Thailand.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Link said:

Are you familiar with the concept of dispropotionate effects? It’s been mentioned several times ITT. What do you dispute about it? You think it’s just not true? 

What @Silent Hill is getting at is that you can't generalize this. There are plenty of instances where cops arrest minorities without killing them. Cops aren't out there hunting down and slaughtering people in the middle of the night like a bunch of predators. Maybe there are disproportionate effects. I haven't looked up the data myself but it doesn't mean a certain scenario always happens for a certain race every single time. 

• Haha 1

It's been discussed before, we've seen stats that 75% grow up in broken homes, of course that will lead to a lack of a role-model and poverty, it also leads to less priority over education. It just creates one giant, non-stop circle. 

If instead of protesting cops and tearing down statues we were trying to teach the importance of family structure, a lot of these problems would be solved. Yet it's easier to place the blame on outside forces.

• Haha 1